The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rangdrol

Moha

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by Moha »

I'm slowly making my way through the first few chapters but the significance of this translation is abundantly clear already.
jnanasutra wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 am A study group on this text would be awesome actually :D
This is a great idea. What would be a good way to start this?
Any chance this would be web-casted / broadcasted in some form? :smile:
heart

Re: The Self-Arisen Vidya Tantra and The Self-Liberated Vidya Tantra A Translation of the Rigpa Rang Shar and Rigpa Rang

Post by heart »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm I'm slowly making my way through the first few chapters but the significance of this translation is abundantly clear already.
jnanasutra wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 am A study group on this text would be awesome actually :D
This is a great idea. What would be a good way to start this?
Any chance this would be web-casted / broadcasted in some form? :smile:
"And via Zoom videoconference for those who cannot attend in person."

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Moha

Post by Moha »

heart wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm "And via Zoom videoconference for those who cannot attend in person."

/magnus
:oops:
Clearly, I didn't read it thoroughly. My bad.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I am glad I made it. I just got back and I have to say that it was, as usual, a highly informative and entertaining talk by Malcolm.

Kevin...
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Virgo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:15 am
I am glad I made it. I just got back and I have to say that it was, as usual, a highly informative and entertaining talk by Malcolm.

Kevin...
That it was.

Quite wonderful talk!
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

I watched on zoom.It was very informative and clearly explained.Nicely done Malcolm!
Many thanks.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I forgot to tune in. Was it recorded via Zoom or elsewhere?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Norwegian wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:20 am
Virgo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:15 am

Kevin...
That it was.

Quite wonderful talk!
It was a bit over my head, but many accessible gems shone through. It's a pleasure to listen to you, Malcolm.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vasana wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 am I forgot to tune in. Was it recorded via Zoom or elsewhere?
I am afraid it was not.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm
Vasana wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 am I forgot to tune in. Was it recorded via Zoom or elsewhere?
I am afraid it was not.
Oh well. If you happen to speak on this again in the future, hopefully it can be recorded for us :)
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Moha

Post by Moha »

Noob question:

Where can I learn more about this Buddha "Powerful Heroic Youth" (Gzhon nu Dpa' bo stobs ldan) - which I'm guessing is Shyönnu Pawo Tobden, sixth of the 12 founding Dzogchen masters? Are there any literatures that explain more about this Buddha and his nirmanakaya field?

I'm still making my way through the first few chapters - going back and re-reading them over and over. Baby steps, I guess ...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am Noob question:

Where can I learn more about this Buddha "Powerful Heroic Youth" (Gzhon nu Dpa' bo stobs ldan) - which I'm guessing is Shyönnu Pawo Tobden, sixth of the 12 founding Dzogchen masters? Are there any literatures that explain more about this Buddha and his nirmanakaya field?

I'm still making my way through the first few chapters - going back and re-reading them over and over. Baby steps, I guess ...

Nyoshul Khenpo's book on the history of Dzogchen will have some information.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:27 pm
Ignorant_Fool wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am Noob question:

Nyoshul Khenpo's book is amazing! And yes, it has three sentences about Zhonnu Pawo Tobden.
Moha

Post by Moha »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 pm
Nyoshul Khenpo's book is amazing! And yes, it has three sentences about Zhonnu Pawo Tobden.
The Fearless Lion's Roar?
Last edited by Moha on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:19 pm
Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 pm
The Fearless Lion's Roar?
No.

"A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems: Biographies of Masters of Awareness in the Dzogchen Lineage": http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... _Gems.html
Moha

Post by Moha »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:32 pm No.

"A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems: Biographies of Masters of Awareness in the Dzogchen Lineage": http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... _Gems.html
Thanks a lot! :thanks:
jnanasutra

Post by jnanasutra »

If Gzhon nu Dpa’ bo stobs ldan is teaching a retinue (which includes Vajrapani) that is merely an emanation of his own pristine consciousness, then when this buddha sees the appearances of six realms of samsara it must be the case that the beings in each realm must also be emanations of his pristine consciousness. I understand the idea of the Yogācāra container universe model, however, this model works from the perspective of a deluded mind. So how does this buddha view sentient beings? Are sentient beings similar to the retinue in that they are his own emanations? I know the general phrases, “buddhas don’t see sentient beings” and “sentient beings do not exist.” That is not what I am getting at. I am trying to understand this from a Man ngag sde perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks. :smile:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

jnanasutra wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 am If Gzhon nu Dpa’ bo stobs ldan is teaching a retinue (which includes Vajrapani) that is merely an emanation of his own pristine consciousness, then when this buddha sees the appearances of six realms of samsara it must be the case that the beings in each realm must also be emanations of his pristine consciousness. I understand the idea of the Yogācāra container universe model, however, this model works from the perspective of a deluded mind. So how does this buddha view sentient beings? Are sentient beings similar to the retinue in that they are his own emanations? I know the general phrases, “buddhas don’t see sentient beings” and “sentient beings do not exist.” That is not what I am getting at. I am trying to understand this from a Man ngag sde perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks. :smile:
While I am certainly not enlightened - just ask my lady friend Suzy - I am content to just be a bozo on the bus. But I've practiced a little and so I'll hazard a guess. (Posting anything these days seems a little hazardous.)

Perhaps the whole issue is a non-starter as in trying to write on water or air. Perhaps these questions do not function, or apply, to an enlightened Buddha.

So - perhaps our time is better spent - even for a moment - in contemplation and practices leading to enlightenment. When your mind wanders into questions like this, and this is a completely normal occurrence, gently bring it back to contemplation and practices leading to enlightenment, and again, and again, etc.

:buddha1:

I am sure that there is great benefit to all who seek to practice Dzogchen in reading the Dzogchen tantras.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Arisen-Vidy ... 738&sr=1-6

Perhaps this will put to rest all your questions.

:heart:
jnanasutra

Post by jnanasutra »

oldbob wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 pm
jnanasutra wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 am If Gzhon nu Dpa’ bo stobs ldan is teaching a retinue (which includes Vajrapani) that is merely an emanation of his own pristine consciousness, then when this buddha sees the appearances of six realms of samsara it must be the case that the beings in each realm must also be emanations of his pristine consciousness. I understand the idea of the Yogācāra container universe model, however, this model works from the perspective of a deluded mind. So how does this buddha view sentient beings? Are sentient beings similar to the retinue in that they are his own emanations? I know the general phrases, “buddhas don’t see sentient beings” and “sentient beings do not exist.” That is not what I am getting at. I am trying to understand this from a Man ngag sde perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks. :smile:
While I am certainly not enlightened - just ask my lady friend Suzy - I am content to just be a bozo on the bus. But I've practiced a little and so I'll hazard a guess. (Posting anything these days seems a little hazardous.)

Perhaps the whole issue is a non-starter as in trying to write on water or air. Perhaps these questions do not function, or apply, to an enlightened Buddha.

So - perhaps our time is better spent - even for a moment - in contemplation and practices leading to enlightenment. When your mind wanders into questions like this, and this is a completely normal occurrence, gently bring it back to contemplation and practices leading to enlightenment, and again, and again, etc.

:buddha1:

I am sure that there is great benefit to all who seek to practice Dzogchen in reading the Dzogchen tantras.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Arisen-Vidy ... 738&sr=1-6

Perhaps this will put to rest all your questions.

:heart:
Um...ok. Got it. Thanks.

Sooo, any thoughts from anyone else?
jnanasutra

Post by jnanasutra »

Just happened to read Chapter 59, “The Deed of Emanation.” It is related to my question, but I’m still unclear as to how the six realms of samsara fit in. :reading:

Return to “Dzogchen”