Rushen Order? (DC)

Post Reply
chimechodra
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by chimechodra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi all,

Spawned from an unanswered question on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=26588&p=420993#p420993

If one wants to work with the rushens, Malcolm mentioned that there's a specific order that they should be followed. Is this talked about more in any books? I'm working slowly through Precious Vase but haven't seen anything there, and the Semzins/Lojongs/Rushens book doesn't seem to mention anything about an order. Would simply working through the list of Santi Maha Sangha base practices ensure you're doing everything in the proper order?

climb-up
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by climb-up » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 pm

They are, I believe, presented in the order to practice.
Same order in both books, and others.
chimechodra wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm
Would simply working through the list of Santi Maha Sangha base practices ensure you're doing everything in the proper order?
Yes, it presents everything in the same order as books of ChNN, and the same order in the books by TWR and Loppon Tenzin Namdak

TaTa
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 am

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by TaTa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:09 am

Should semdzin be practiced in order?

climb-up
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by climb-up » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 am

TaTa wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:09 am
Should semdzin be practiced in order?
I don't know the answer to that.
My take has been that, for the SMS retreat hours to do them as described in the order described. But that that doesn't mean that they can't be used before that. For example one of the semdzin, song of the vajra, is one of the key practices that we all do.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 am

chimechodra wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm
Hi all,

Spawned from an unanswered question on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=26588&p=420993#p420993

If one wants to work with the rushens, Malcolm mentioned that there's a specific order that they should be followed. Is this talked about more in any books? I'm working slowly through Precious Vase but haven't seen anything there, and the Semzins/Lojongs/Rushens book doesn't seem to mention anything about an order. Would simply working through the list of Santi Maha Sangha base practices ensure you're doing everything in the proper order?
this is my view:
each rushen goes for experiencing emptyness, clarity, sensation. if there is an order to apply them, might be from the less secret to the more secret rushens. for example if you can't let your mind/emotions relax you do outer rushen, otherwise -if you are nor relaxed- secret rushen won't do much.

the three experiencies mentioned are ways to get in the knowledge directly through their means, you apply wichever rushen works for you.


now, if there is a skillful order for a better understanding, you cant test it by applying, don't waste you your time looking for excuses. do experiment, rushens are for concrete knowledge.

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:51 am

I've spoken to a senior DC student, and at least in the context of the conversation I had, it was somewhat implied that I must discover for myself which rushen practices were appropriate for getting rid of doubts about the natural state.

It's possible I could be misunderstanding as the conversation was not specifically about order of Rushen.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Ork
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi,

I have been to a more traditional Rushen retreat, where we were given the instructions for each practice one after one in the order outer to secret, as in the texts. So after you complete the required time (or signs, if you have the time) you go to the next one.
Then I suppose here in DC the rule would be work with the circumstance :shrug: . For example it's obvious that the outer Rushen you will do when you have the right circumstances, which are quite rare.

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by heart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Ork wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm
Hi,

I have been to a more traditional Rushen retreat, where we were given the instructions for each practice one after one in the order outer to secret, as in the texts. So after you complete the required time (or signs, if you have the time) you go to the next one.
Then I suppose here in DC the rule would be work with the circumstance :shrug: . For example it's obvious that the outer Rushen you will do when you have the right circumstances, which are quite rare.
I have the same experience doing Rushen in a traditional way. We did a modified version of the outer Rushan in retreat that didn't require to much movement and could be done in your room. By the way ChNNR instructions on the outer Rushan is the best I read.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Lukeinaz
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by Lukeinaz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Does ChNN write anywhere concerning instructions about this modified outer rushen? My current circumstances are a bit limiting.
And let your mind settle, loose and relaxed,
like a woollen blanket spread out on the ground…
Khenpo Gangshar

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by Aryjna » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 pm

heart wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm
By the way ChNNR instructions on the outer Rushan is the best I read.

/magnus
Do you mean in this book?
http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... &results=4

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by heart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Lukeinaz wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm
Does ChNN write anywhere concerning instructions about this modified outer rushen? My current circumstances are a bit limiting.
No, I didn't get those instructions from Rinpoche. But just do the inner and secret rushan first until your circumstances change.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by heart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 pm
heart wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm
By the way ChNNR instructions on the outer Rushan is the best I read.

/magnus
Do you mean in this book?
http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... &results=4
Yes, it is great.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Rushen Order? (DC)

Post by Aryjna » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

heart wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Aryjna wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 pm
heart wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm
By the way ChNNR instructions on the outer Rushan is the best I read.

/magnus
Do you mean in this book?
http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... &results=4
Yes, it is great.

/magnus
I looked through it recently and it looks very useful, I will probably get it soon.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PSM and 55 guests