Boundless Vision Tulku Tsolo

the.eleven

Boundless Vision Tulku Tsolo

Post by the.eleven »

Does anyone here have experience with this text?

https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Vision ... ess+visión
Josef

Re: Boundless Vision Tulku Tsolo

Post by Josef »

the.eleven wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 pm Does anyone here have experience with this text?

I havent read it but I find it quite odd that Dowman "edited" a Tulku Thondup translation.
This could be a very valuable translation if there is an extant version that Dowman didnt have anything to do with.
Perhaps there is another edition available from Thondup himself.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Josef wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm
the.eleven wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 pm Does anyone here have experience with this text?

I havent read it but I find it quite odd that Dowman "edited" a Tulku Thondup translation.
This could be a very valuable translation if there is an extant version that Dowman didnt have anything to do with.
Basically it looks like Dowman had his way with the text and added in "pixel", "megapixel" and other Dowman-lingo...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

James Low seems pretty happy about it, as he concludes his forward with:
We are fortunate that this book of lucid instruction has been prepared by three people who over many years have shown themselves to be committed to and highly competent in the work of presenting in the English language teaching from Nyingma Buddhist tradition. Chimed Rigdzin Rinpoche, Tulku Thondrup and Keith Dowman together have produced a support for meditation that is worthy of our profound gratitude and devotion.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 pm James Low seems pretty happy about it, as he concludes his forward with:
We are fortunate that this book of lucid instruction has been prepared by three people who over many years have shown themselves to be committed to and highly competent in the work of presenting in the English language teaching from Nyingma Buddhist tradition. Chimed Rigdzin Rinpoche, Tulku Thondrup and Keith Dowman together have produced a support for meditation that is worthy of our profound gratitude and devotion.
Whether or not Low said nice things in the foreword has little impact on the ghastliness of a potential Dowman edit.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Basically it looks like Dowman had his way with the text and added in "pixel", "megapixel" and other Dowman-lingo...
"Sole cosmic megapixel." Mmmmmmm.....
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:39 am
Norwegian wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 pm

"Sole cosmic megapixel." Mmmmmmm.....
This must be the Minecraft edition of Dzogchen.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

From what I understand, there was a manuscript version in circulation.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

According to the copyright page, "Tulku Thondrup's introduction to this text and his original translation of the text were included in the Buddhayana Foundation Series Volume IX." I don't know if that was actually officially published in some way.

Anyway, 'pixel' etc. sounds silly to my ear, but Tulku Thondup seems to appreciate what he has called Dowman's "brilliant gift of letters" so why not have a look at the book before discouraging others from reading it? Maybe Dowman did a good job with it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dzogchungpa wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:41 pm Maybe Dowman did a good job with it.
I don't understand what the issue is with Dowman.....he's supposedly an avant-garde translator ?

I have always loved reading his books.
But what do I know.

Maybe if your heart is good you will benefit reading with an open mind.

Looks like a wonderful book.
I'm in .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:41 pm According to the copyright page, "Tulku Thondrup's introduction to this text and his original translation of the text were included in the Buddhayana Foundation Series Volume IX." I don't know if that was actually officially published in some way.

Anyway, 'pixel' etc. sounds silly to my ear, but Tulku Thondup seems to appreciate what he has called Dowman's "brilliant gift of letters" so why not have a look at the book before discouraging others from reading it? Maybe Dowman did a good job with it.
At minimum, people should have the lung for the root text, kun bzang dgongs pa zang thal gyi nyams khrid thar gling chos sku'i zhing khams su bgrod pa'i nye lam chen mo, composed by17th century master Zurchen Chöying Rangdrol.

The lung for the ngondro drawn from this was given by Tulku Dakpa when he gave the lung for Buddhahood.

People should not read the text without transmission. I know this is unpopular these days, but well, :rules:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:41 pm According to the copyright page, "Tulku Thondrup's introduction to this text and his original translation of the text were included in the Buddhayana Foundation Series Volume IX." I don't know if that was actually officially published in some way.

At minimum, people should have the lung for the root text, kun bzang dgongs pa zang thal gyi nyams khrid thar gling chos sku'i zhing khams su bgrod pa'i nye lam chen mo, composed by17th century master Zurchen Chöying Rangdrol.

The lung for the ngondro drawn from this was given by Tulku Dakpa when he gave the lung for Buddhahood.

People should not read the text without transmission. I know this is unpopular these days, but well, :rules:

I'm pretty sure you only need the Minecraft lung.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

:good:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

So, if I've received the ngondro lung for this, does that mean I can read the ngondro section but no further? Is it likely that Tulku Dakpa or another qualified lama will be offering the requisite transmission in the foreseeable future?
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Spelare wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 pm

So, if I've received the ngondro lung for this, does that mean I can read the ngondro section but no further? Is it likely that Tulku Dakpa or another qualified lama will be offering the requisite transmission in the foreseeable future?
Basically that is correct. You need the lung for the root text at least.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Malcolm wrote:Basically that is correct. You need the lung for the root text at least.
As for the Five Nails, I see these two translated commentaries from the other discussion:

1. "Five Nails: Commentary on the Northern Treasures Accumulation Praxis By Tulku Tsurlo": https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Five_Nails_p/22022.htm
2. "Path of Secret Mantra: Teachings of the Northern Treasures Five Nails Pema Tinley's Guide to Vajrayana Practice": https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Path_of_Se ... 380188.htm

Do you recommend either of these? If so, what are the merits of one compared to the other? I would probably order one but not both at this point. Is the text of Tulku Thondup's translation of the Five Nails commentary by Tulku Tsurlo already included in the Boundless Vision book mentioned above, so there would be no point in ordering both that and #1 above?

I'd also welcome the input of anyone here who has tried to use either of the commentaries to support their own practice.
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Spelare wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 pm
Malcolm wrote:Basically that is correct. You need the lung for the root text at least.
As for the Five Nails, I see these two translated commentaries from the other discussion:

1. "Five Nails: Commentary on the Northern Treasures Accumulation Praxis By Tulku Tsurlo": https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Five_Nails_p/22022.htm
2. "Path of Secret Mantra: Teachings of the Northern Treasures Five Nails Pema Tinley's Guide to Vajrayana Practice": https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Path_of_Se ... 380188.htm

Do you recommend either of these? If so, what are the merits of one compared to the other? I would probably order one but not both at this point. Is the text of Tulku Thondup's translation of the Five Nails commentary by Tulku Tsurlo already included in the Boundless Vision book mentioned above, so there would be no point in ordering both that and #1 above?

I'd also welcome the input of anyone here who has tried to use either of the commentaries to support their own practice.
The five nails is a generic practice for the NT, the guru yoga is adapted to which ever cycle you are doing it for. As to which you order, that really depends on whether you like Dowman's megapixels or not.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 pm
Spelare wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 pm

The five nails is a generic practice for the NT, the guru yoga is adapted to which ever cycle you are doing it for. As to which you order, that really depends on whether you like Dowman's megapixels or not.
What are you talking about? Those texts weren't translated by Dowman. The first was translated by Khenpo Chowang and the second by Tulku Thondup, both were edited by Martin Boord. Unless Tulku Thondup uses megapixel too?

The second is 250 pages long, the first 85. But other than browse through them a bit I haven't read them yet. Neither contain a sadhana btw.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Pero wrote:What are you talking about? Those texts weren't translated by Dowman. The first was translated by Khenpo Chowang and the second by Tulku Thondup, both were edited by Martin Boord. Unless Tulku Thondup uses megapixel too?

The second is 250 pages long, the first 85. But other than browse through them a bit I haven't read them yet. Neither contain a sadhana btw.
He was distinguishing between the Dowman-edited Boundless Vision text of Tulku Thondup and text #1 above that is the ngondro from Thondup's translation. He did not comment on the Pema Tinley commentary or its translation.
I go for refuge therein.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Spelare wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm
Pero wrote:What are you talking about? Those texts weren't translated by Dowman. The first was translated by Khenpo Chowang and the second by Tulku Thondup, both were edited by Martin Boord. Unless Tulku Thondup uses megapixel too?

He was distinguishing between the Dowman-edited Boundless Vision text of Tulku Thondup and text #1 above that is the ngondro from Thondup's translation. He did not comment on the Pema Tinley commentary or its translation.
Ah sorry, I missed that the ngondro text was part of Boundless Vision.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”