Boundless Vision Tulku Tsolo

Spelare

Re: Boundless Vision Tulku Tsolo

Post by Spelare »

Pero wrote:Neither contain a sadhana btw.
So, you mean that the commentaries are just explanations, then? To help one understand what one is doing?

But this should be the sadhana, I think:

http://www.simplybeing.co.uk/the-five-n ... s-zer-nga/

The #1 above, edited by Boord, says this in the description:

The Five Nails (tib. gZer lNga) are the Northern Treasures (Byang gTer) accumulation practice (Ngöndro) which has to be practised before the Drubkor Nam Sum (tib. sGrub sKor rNam gSum), which consist of Drowa Kundrol (‘Gro Ba Kun Grol), the outer sadhana of Chenresig, who frees all beings (tib. Thugs rJe Chen Po ‘Gro Ba Kun Grol), the inner sadhana of Rigdzin Dungdrub (tib. Rig ‘Dzin gDung sGrub) and the secret sadhana of Thug Drub Dragpo Tsal (tib. Thugs sGrub Drag Po rTsal).
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

So, I've just received my copy of Boundless Vision. The Editor's note says: "Please note that Part One, Chapter 2 quotes the Five Nails ngondro text that has not been included herein in its entirety" (emphasis mine).

It looks like if I want to actually do the ngondro I should use the sadhana from James Low's website, perhaps augmented by one of the commentaries cited above. This edition of Boundless Vision does not reduplicate the full ngondro text.

If I have a hard time of it with Dowman's megapixels, I know where to look for more sober translation choices. Anyway, I can probably figure out what he's driving at, even if his style grates at times.
I go for refuge therein.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Sorry to triple post, but I wanted to share that, in spite of James Low having written the Foreword, he is not all that happy with the way this edition was handled (by Dowman, presumably).

I corresponded with James because I had hoped he could teach me from the text. He characterized the translation as "problematic" and said that it was "not published in the manner agreed," so he would not teach from it.

I think I'm going to sell my copy and wait for another translation, or else just use other texts. I kind of suspected, based on earlier forum posts, that Dowman's recent methods have rubbed people the wrong way, even the teachers whose endorsements he touts. Now I have direct confirmation.
I go for refuge therein.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Spelare wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 pm So, I've just received my copy of Boundless Vision. The Editor's note says: "Please note that Part One, Chapter 2 quotes the Five Nails ngondro text that has not been included herein in its entirety" (emphasis mine).

It looks like if I want to actually do the ngondro I should use the sadhana from James Low's website, perhaps augmented by one of the commentaries cited above. This edition of Boundless Vision does not reduplicate the full ngondro text.

If I have a hard time of it with Dowman's megapixels, I know where to look for more sober translation choices. Anyway, I can probably figure out what he's driving at, even if his style grates at times.
It's not limited to style really. His translations are wildly inaccurate and embellished with bizarre perspectives that he has invented, most likely in an effort to self-promote his "radical Dzogchen" notions and gain a following.
It is no surprise that James Low wasnt pleased with the publication after contributed to it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Josef wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 pm
the.eleven wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 pm Does anyone here have experience with this text?

https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Vision ... ess+visión
I havent read it but I find it quite odd that Dowman "edited" a Tulku Thondup translation.
This could be a very valuable translation if there is an extant version that Dowman didnt have anything to do with.
Perhaps there is another edition available from Thondup himself.
From what I understand, there was a manuscript version in circulation.
A late reply: the MS version was in fact an English retranslation of the early version of Stéphane Arguillère's original French translation "Manuel de la transparution immédiate", by David Cowey. This was later polished by Tulku Thondup, and more recently, given the quantum pixellisation treatment by Dowman.

See here (or the preface to the French work in question) for further details: http://www.arguillere.org/2017/07/suite ... iere-parti

Return to “Dzogchen”