Why Eastern Tibet?

Spelare

Why Eastern Tibet?

Post by Spelare »

Why are nearly all the contemporary Dzogchen masters known in the Western world, not to mention a large proportion of Nyingma and Kagyu lamas in general, from Eastern Tibet? Especially from the region of Kham, it seems. There are exceptions, but name a lama in one of these traditions and odds are they're from Kham.

Does this date specifically from the Rimé (eclectic/non-sectarian) movement, whose major exponents were from Kham, or was this a trend even before the 19th century? I recall reading that Kham has been relatively diverse in terms of lineages for many years.

I'm also wondering whether it's that proportionally more Kham lamas are teaching in exile, due to the burden of the Chinese occupation falling especially heavily on Eastern Tibet? I don't know if that's true. Maybe there are other factors I haven't noticed.

All if this kind of makes me want to learn more about the geography and culture of Eastern Tibet. It would be nice to learn about what seems to have been a veritable crucible of realized masters.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Re: Why Eastern Tibet?

Post by Malcolm »

Spelare wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 am Why are nearly all the contemporary Dzogchen masters known in the Western world, not to mention a large proportion of Nyingma and Kagyu lamas in general, from Eastern Tibet? Especially from the region of Kham, it seems. There are exceptions, but name a lama in one of these traditions and odds are they're from Kham.

Does this date specifically from the Rimé (eclectic/non-sectarian) movement, whose major exponents were from Kham, or was this a trend even before the 19th century? I recall reading that Kham has been relatively diverse in terms of lineages for many years.

I'm also wondering whether it's that proportionally more Kham lamas are teaching in exile, due to the burden of the Chinese occupation falling especially heavily on Eastern Tibet? I don't know if that's true. Maybe there are other factors I haven't noticed.

All if this kind of makes me want to learn more about the geography and culture of Eastern Tibet. It would be nice to learn about what seems to have been a veritable crucible of realized masters.
Kathog, Dzogchen, Shechen, and Palyul are all in Eastern Tibet. The two Nyingma monasteries in Central Tibet are Mindrol Ling and Dorje Drak.

The Geluk Hegemony in Central Tibet stifled the other three schools very heavily. In Kham there was more distance, and thus, more life for Sakya, Kagyu and Nyingma.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Malcolm wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 amKathog, Dzogchen, Shechen, and Palyul are all in Eastern Tibet. The two Nyingma monasteries in Central Tibet are Mindrol Ling and Dorje Drak.

The Geluk Hegemony in Central Tibet stifled the other three schools very heavily. In Kham there was more distance, and thus, more life for Sakya, Kagyu and Nyingma.
Thanks, that's helpful. Aside from the monasteries, was there also a higher prevalence of ngakpas and lay practitioners in Kham?
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Spelare wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:15 am
Malcolm wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 amKathog, Dzogchen, Shechen, and Palyul are all in Eastern Tibet. The two Nyingma monasteries in Central Tibet are Mindrol Ling and Dorje Drak.

Thanks, that's helpful. Aside from the monasteries, was there also a higher prevalence of ngakpas and lay practitioners in Kham?
Not especially.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Do you think that there may have been any natural geological factors that may have influenced the doctrines? like maybe certain mountains or streams played a role in how things have come down to us?
Also have the interactions with neighboring people have some effects as well?
Like the certain practices more popular here or there, etc.?
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 am ..............................
One can observe that nearly everywhere on this planet!
Lost In Transmission
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nevermind.

Kevin...
Last edited by Virgo on Sun May 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 am Do you think that there may have been any natural geological factors that may have influenced the doctrines? like maybe certain mountains or streams played a role in how things have come down to us?
Like the certain practices more popular here or there, etc.?
i think the one or other school popularity was due to their political endeavours
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Dzogchen”