Learning Dzogchen online

Pero

Re: Learning Dzogchen online

Post by Pero »

LoveFromColorado wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 pm He did, hence my small confusion :)

I really liked his translators too, especially the woman during the first couple of days
Well, lung by itself is not same as getting teaching on the text too, things might not be so clear, but if you got the lung you can read the text.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 am
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pmHow strange. One doesn't even have to have taken refuge to take an empowerment, since refuge is given in the course of the empowerment. Were those registrations for Nyingma empowerments?
Ummmmm... Every at single empowerment I have been to (Nyingma and Kagyu) there has been an "official" Refuge ceremony BEFORE the empowerments are given.
Greg, I’ve received many empowerments by a number of Nyingma lamas and I can’t remember them ever doing a separate refuge ceremony before the empowerment. The empowerment ritual itself contains refuge.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

LoveFromColorado wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 am Hi all, in the event that anyone watched all of the Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche talks like I did (live), wow, what a teaching!

We only made it about halfway through the text - is that typical in a transmission like this one? Should that be considered the full transmission of the text? There are some practices later in the text that Rinpoche did not discuss, and I want to be sure that his transmission included these latter portions of the text before I start reading them more deeply and contemplate practicing them.

I hope that question makes sense - thank you!!
Last time I saw CNR he never made it beyond the title! The essence of the text was transmittrd with nothing excluded. Really great you have managed to make this connection.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:52 pm
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pmHow strange. One doesn't even have to have taken refuge to take an empowerment, since refuge is given in the course of the empowerment. Were those registrations for Nyingma empowerments?
Ummmmm... Every at single empowerment I have been to (Nyingma and Kagyu) there has been an "official" Refuge ceremony BEFORE the empowerments are given.
Greg, I’ve received many empowerments by a number of Nyingma lamas and I can’t remember them ever doing a separate refuge ceremony before the empowerment. The empowerment ritual itself contains refuge.
Same. I have never experienced a separate refuge ceremony before an empowerment that includes one. That would just be redundant.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ummmmm... Αt every single empowerment I have been to (Nyingma and Kagyu) there has been an "official" Refuge ceremony BEFORE the empowerments are given.
I have seen it done both ways. But it is not necessary. All empowerments being with refuge, and bodhicitta, because all empowerments must bestow the three vows, or renew them in those who have received them before.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Josef wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 pm
Grigoris wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 am Ummmmm... Every at single empowerment I have been to (Nyingma and Kagyu) there has been an "official" Refuge ceremony BEFORE the empowerments are given.
Same. I have never experienced a separate refuge ceremony before an empowerment that includes one. That would just be redundant.
It makes some people happy to participate in a hair-cutting ceremony and be granted a refuge name.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm
It makes some people happy to participate in a hair-cutting ceremony and be granted a refuge name.
And there is no need to deny them of that happiness!

Refuge, if taken seriously, is a serious entry into Dharma.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

And there is no need to deny them of that happiness!

Refuge, f taken seriously, is a serious entry into Dharma.
Going for refuge is the only entry into Dharma, whether one participates in a ritual or not.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:51 pmGoing for refuge is the only entry into Dharma, whether one participates in a ritual or not.
I mean the "official" ceremony, if taken seriously...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Dzogchen Teaching from Byangter and Khordong-gTer Tradition
http://www.simplybeing.co.uk/
http://www.khordong.de/
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:52 pm And there is no need to deny them of that happiness!

Refuge, if taken seriously, is a serious entry into Dharma.
Greg, I personally found the formal refuge ceremony immensely meaningful; ditto for the bodhisattva vow ceremony. It was early on, many years ago, and I didn't fully realize at the time that the refuge I'd taken, and bodhicitta I'd given rise to, were every bit as official as the ceremonies, nor that I'd basically received the vows officially several times already in the course of empowerment, so the dedicated refuge and bodhicitta ceremonies made it feel official. If asked, I would still encourage anyone who feels sincerely committed to Dharma to take advantage of such opportunities.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

ChNNR to my knowledge never gave a ceremonial refuge giving out names but he did teach a very concise and practical
explanation of refuge.

I

Return to “Dzogchen”