Post by Spelare »

Dzogchen Atiyoga Teachings with Lama Lena
Featuring Rare Transmissions of Changchub Dorje

Dates: June 12 & 13
Time: 7pm EST
Venue: the Drikung Meditation Center at Jokhang Temple
Address:
15 Bartlett Avenue, Arlington, MA 02476

Please join us next week for this wonderful opportunity to receive these transmissions and pointing-out instructions. If you cannot attend in person, there will be a live webcast.

Here is the link to register: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/r ... =47ub76bab

And here is the official event description:
Atiyoga is the Sanskrit term for the supreme vehicle known as Dzogpa Chenpo (the Great Perfection). While often associated with the Nyingma school, great Dzogchen masters have emerged from all the major schools of Tibetan Buddhism, as well as from the Bön tradition. Its approach has a close affinity with that of Mahāmudrā, and its meaning accords fully with the intent of Prajñāpāramitā and Madhyamaka. For that reason, it is a non-sectarian teaching that can be taught for the benefit of practitioners of varying levels and capacities. When a qualified teacher transmits the authentic knowledge of one's real condition, this is called "direct introduction to the nature of mind" or "pointing-out instructions."

Nyala Rinpoche Rigdzin Changchub Dorje was a Dzogchen master of the modern era who founded a self-supporting community of lay practitioners in a remote valley of Derge, in Eastern Tibet. His teachers included Adzom Drukpa, Nyala Pema Dündul, and Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen. Though outwardly a simple man, neither an accomplished scholar nor a master of ritual, Changchub Dorje was renowned for his clear, approachable eloquence that spontaneously distilled the wisdom essence of all the tantras. Drawing upon his direct experience, he gave pith instructions that conveyed the profound meaning in a manner intelligible to ordinary village yogis. Among his most eminent disciples is Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, who received from him the authentic transmission of Dzogchen. Both Changchub Dorje and his daughter reportedly manifested rainbow body.

We now have the great fortune of welcoming a teacher authorized to transmit these profound instructions. Lama Lena (Yeshe Kaytup) received these teachings from her root guru Ven. Wangdor Rinpoche, who received them from the Rigdzin himself. When she teaches, Lama Lena draws on her several decades of study and practice, which began when she journeyed to Nepal in 1972 to study under Lama Thubten Yeshe for three years. Subsequently, she spent seven years in retreat in a cave above Tso Pema (the Lotus Lake) in Relwasar, India, guided by Wangdor Rinpoche. Lama Lena familiarized herself with the dharma through her work as Rinpoche's English-language translator both in India and abroad, serving in that capacity for over 25 years. She continues to supervise the practice of monks, nuns, and lay practitioners at Tso Pema, and to secure medical support for Tibetan refugees, Indian villagers and mountain tribespeople. Lama Lena has been invited to teach by H. H. Zigar Choktrul Rinpoche and Ven. Wangdor Rinpoche.

While this event is mainly intended for practitioners who already have some acquaintance with teachings about nature of mind, whether Mahāmudrā or Dzogchen, there are no specific prerequisites. Since all sentient beings have buddha-nature, all have the potential to recognize what these teachings indicate and integrate the very fabric of their ordinary experience into the awakened state. Lama Lena is happy to introduce these profound teachings to anyone who is sincerely interested.

There is no formal fee for attendance, but offerings of dana and khata are encouraged.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Sherab Rigdrol

Re: Boston-area teachings: Changchub Dorje's Atiyoga

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Exactly what is being transmitted? Are Changchub Dorje's termas being given?

Too vague....
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm what is your take on this?
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 am Exactly what is being transmitted? Are Changchub Dorje's termas being given?

Too vague....
The language is admittedly vague. The title is what was suggested to us by Lama Lena's assistant, and we decided to go with it. While based on a particular text, I presume that the teachings will also feature Lama Lena's spontaneous pith instructions.

From what I understand, Changchub Dorje revealed termas and transcripts were also made of his oral teachings. I couldn't tell you which of those is going to be the basis for next week's teachings. I'll be happy either way.
I go for refuge therein.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Spelare wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 pm ........................................

If you cannot attend in person, there will be a live webcast.

Are you sure? I didn't read, or heard anything about that.
Do you have theURL?
Lost In Transmission
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

lelopa wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 am
Spelare wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 pm ........................................

If you cannot attend in person, there will be a live webcast.

Are you sure? I didn't read, or heard anything about that.
Do you have theURL?

www.ustream.tv/channel/dmc-practice-stream
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

This is the url?
:thanks:
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 am Exactly what is being transmitted? Are Changchub Dorje's termas being given?

Too vague....
I have seen it on her schedule previous, it is a Dzogchen text most probably a terma.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Excited about the teachings tomorrow evening! The live webcast will, indeed, be at the address posted by Lukeinaz above.

For those who attend via webcast, you can also give dana via the Drikung Center's PayPal account. Scroll down to "General Donation," and be sure to note that the funds are for the Lama Lena event when you make the payment:

https://www.drikungboston.org/membership-donations

Sarva mangalam!
I go for refuge therein.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

So, to answer the earlier question about what text we are working with, tonight we worked with the personal Mahāmudrā instructions given to Wangdor Rinpoche by the 16th Karmapa. Lama Lena thought that might be appropriate for an audience with a large Kagyu contingent.

Tomorrow night's session will be based on the personal trekchö instructions given by Changchub Dorje to Wangdor Rinpoche. So, its intended audience is those who have been practicing trekchö, or at least seeking to do so, for some time. Lama Lena recommends several short sessions throughout the day as homework before the next session.
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:10 am Malcolm what is your take on this?
I don’t know Lama Lena, so I have no opinion one way or another.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I enjoyed it.
It was nice to see a simple, accessible presentation of Dzogchen and Mahamudra given in this setting.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

I also enjoyed her teachings. But the time in the OP was/is mistaken, it's actually 6 pm EST and 7 pm EDT. I think, a bit confusing hehe.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Pero wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm I also enjoyed her teachings. But the time in the OP was/is mistaken, it's actually 6 pm EST and 7 pm EDT. I think, a bit confusing hehe.
We use EST (Eastern Standard Time) and EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) at different times of the year in this zone. Both are actually used in the same time zone, the Eastern Time Zone.

We use EST from the first Sunday of November until the second Sunday of March. On that Sunday the clocks "spring forward" an hour, bringing us into EDT until the next November. On that Sunday the time "falls back" one hour. So both of these times are used in the Eastern Time Zone but during different times of the year.

EST is equivalent to UTC -5, and EDT is the equivalent of UTC -4.

This is all done to take advantage of sunlight.

Many people here simply use the term "EST" indiscriminately, even though Daylight Savings Time is beings observed.

Kevin...
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

does anyone have the text lama lena was working from?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Lukeinaz wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 pm does anyone have the text lama lena was working from?
I too would be interested in this.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
rang.drol

Post by rang.drol »

Josef wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:17 am
Lukeinaz wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 pm does anyone have the text lama lena was working from?
Although from a translation point of view the rather peculiar wording impedes the shining forth of the texts full beauty a little bit, you can the text find here: http://levekunst.com/seeing-deepening-r ... d-arriving
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

rang.drol wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am
Although from a translation point of view the rather peculiar wording impedes the shining forth of the texts full beauty a little bit, you can the text find here: http://levekunst.com/seeing-deepening-r ... d-arriving
dankeschön
Lost In Transmission
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

lelopa wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 pm
rang.drol wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am

dankeschön
good posts all

Beautiful clear text. The view, open to all on the web. Steve's words are fine for me as they capture the heart of the matter. If someone has a different translation, please share it.

Also a nice picture of jolly Steve Goodman down at the bottom.
KRB80

Post by KRB80 »

Here is the translation with the original Tibetan:

(Please let me know if this works)
We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all. - Kalu Rinpoche

Return to “Dzogchen”