Dzogchen and Mahamudra Practice

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Dzogchen and Mahamudra Practice

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Hi

I have received Mahamudra Empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche and personal practice advice regarding that and also Drikung Kagyu Tantric Practices.

I practice the Ngondro for Fivefold Mahamudra and Fivefold Mahamudra Daily. I love the practice!!!

I did two years research before diving into Drikung Kagyu via Garchen Rinpoche but I always 'planned' to practice Dzogchen!!

So I would like to do both.

I have enquired about the ChNN Worldwide Transmission next month via Webcast.

I feel I really should do it, but wondered about combining it with my ongoing Mahamudra practice. Will it cause some issues? Or is it fine?

I know a lot of practitioners combine the two which I would like to do.

Originally in my two years of research I was magnetised to Dudjom Lingpa and would eventually like to study his texts and receive transmission for them, including some of the Dudjom Nyingma Tantric practices.

But I feel the ChNN transmission is important and would be a mistake to miss at this time!!!
Virgo

Re: Dzogchen and Mahamudra Practice

Post by Virgo »

Hi Empty.

I would not miss the transmission, also try to receive the many lungs that Namkhai Norbu gives, which will authorize you to do any of those practices. In the future you may find them very useful.

And yes, you can do any other practices without any problem being created, such as the Drikung 5-fold Mahamudra Ngondro, or any other practices from sutra or tantra. There is not issue with doing so.

May all be auspicious!

Kevin...
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

CNNR will only help your practice, in my opinion. The Drikung also have a Dzogchen Terma lineage, the Yangzab, you know. I think you can combine ngondro from the Drikung with a Dzogchen view, for sure.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Yes, I receive Yangzab Dzogchen teachings from Traga Rinpoche in 2009.

Kevin...
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Thanks for the advice!

I am practicing Mahamudra proper.

So just wonder that they both entail the cultivation of The View. Can they compliment and work in tandem in that regard?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Empty Desire wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 pm So just wonder that they both entail the cultivation of The View. Can they compliment and work in tandem in that regard?
Yes.

Kevin...
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Fivefold Mahamudra is just as much, if not more so, a framework or style of practice. You can see this is historically the case as one of the FFM sadhanas by Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntsok has Chenrezik as yidam, rather than the usual Chakrasamvara-Vajrayogini.

As Garchen Rinpoche has been known to say, any practice, when done directly, has all the aspects of FFM in it. And according to a friend of mine who's much more knowledgeable on the subject, "if you read Bongtrul Tenzin Nyima's intro to the Yangzab the FFM is contained in it." So there is certainly some precedent for the union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen within Drikung Kagyu itself, no less other combinations. A brief biography of the current 7th Bongtrul Rinpoche can be found here: http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Lho_ ... dzin_Nyima

The 1st Karma Chagme Rinpoche famously wrote a text or two on this very subject. Several versions have come out over the years, including the following.

The translation by Erik Pema Kunsang with commentary by Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (a Drikung tulku, FYI), can be found here: https://books.google.com/books/about/Un ... ead_button

The translation by B. Alan Wallace with commentary by Gyatrul Rinpoche is broken into two volumes, A Spacious Path to Freedom and Naked Awareness:
https://books.google.com/books/about/A_ ... ead_button
https://books.google.com/books/about/Na ... ead_button

And, most recently, Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche's commentary was published as Luminous Clarity:
http://www.namobuddhapub.com/mobile/Pro ... x?id=37640

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Thank-you Palzang for your thoughtful response!!

I will bookmark for later reference.

Good to know that Fivefold Mahamudra is contained within the Drikung Dzogchen teachings. Also I didn't know Choki Nyima was strongly connected like that to Drikung Kagyu!

With Respect

//ED
Palzang Jangchub

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche was recognized as the tulku of Gar Namdröl Rinpoche from Gar Gön, though the bulk of his training wa from his father and he was finally educated primarily in Karma Kagyu institutions from what I understand. Gar monastery has 3 tulkus of note: Garchen Triptrul, Gar Mingyur, and him.

As for how FFM is contained within the Yangzab, I'm honestly just learning this myself in order to be able to parse some practice instructions that Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche gave me. From what I can tell he gave me a "back to Yangzab" moment. :jumping:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche was recognized as the 7th tulku of Gar Drubchen, though the bulk of his training was from his father Tulku Urgyen and he was formally educated primarily in Karma Kagyu institutions from what I understand.
https://gomdeusa.org/lineage-teachers/c ... -rinpoche/
pensum wrote: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm Gar Drubchen was an emanation of Nagarjuna as well as Phamo Drupa (1110-70), who was one of the three foremost disciples of Gampopa. He was the founder of Drong Gompa in Nakchukha, Central Tibet.
Gar monastery has 3 tulkus of note: Garchen Triptrul, Gar Mingyur, and Gar Namdröl, so the implication is that he's not a tulku from Gar monastery and therefore would be a siddha who was originally from the Gar clan.

As for how FFM is contained within the Yangzab, I'm honestly just learning this myself in order to be able to parse some practice instructions that Lamchen Gyalpo Rinpoche gave me. From what I can tell he gave me a "back to Yangzab" moment. :jumping:

Note: Mods, please delete the previous incarnation of this post.

Return to “Dzogchen”