Egg-shaped vase-like thing next to Garab Dorje in images

Pema Rigdzin

Egg-shaped vase-like thing next to Garab Dorje in images

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the egg-shaped, vase-like things is to the right of Garab Dorje (and many other Dzogchen lineage masters) is?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/dc/02/b5/dc02 ... 0d1c50.jpg
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Malcolm

Re: Egg-shaped vase-like thing next to Garab Dorje in images

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm Out of curiosity, anyone know what the egg-shaped, vase-like things is to the right of Garab Dorje (and many other Dzogchen lineage masters) is?

It is a basket.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:18 pm
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm Out of curiosity, anyone know what the egg-shaped, vase-like things is to the right of Garab Dorje (and many other Dzogchen lineage masters) is?

It is a basket.
Does it symbolize holding the whole Dzogchen teachings, ie "Dzogchen pitaka"? If not, what does it symbolize? I only remember seeing it next to Dzogchen masters.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 pm

It is a basket.
Does it symbolize holding the whole Dzogchen teachings, ie "Dzogchen pitaka"? If not, what does it symbolize? I only remember seeing it next to Dzogchen masters.
It's where you store your stuff.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 pm

It is a basket.
lol ok, but what's the significance of depicting it in a lineage master's thangka? And seemingly only in those of master of Dzogchen, and always on the left, and so ornate for a mere storage bin?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It is a basket.
An egg-shaped egg basket? :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 pm

lol ok, but what's the significance of depicting it in a lineage master's thangka? And seemingly only in those of master of Dzogchen, and always on the left, and so ornate for a mere storage bin?
I've heard (by Malcolm?) that the "stuff" inside the egg shaped basket is all the tantric stuff. Bell and dorje, bumpa, etc. Everything one might need for elaborate empowerments and introductions. If the utterly unelaborate empowerment doesn't work, then the Guru can bust out the tantric toys and offer a more seemingly complex empowerment.

Think Chögyal Namkhai Norbu's first empowerment experience with his Guru Changchub Dorje Rinpoche.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Kunzang Tobgyal wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:24 pm

I've heard (by Malcolm?) that the "stuff" inside the egg shaped basket is all the tantric stuff. Bell and dorje, bumpa, etc. Everything one might need for elaborate empowerments and introductions. If the utterly unelaborate empowerment doesn't work, then the Guru can bust out the tantric toys and offer a more seemingly complex empowerment.

Think Chögyal Namkhai Norbu's first empowerment experience with his Guru Changchub Dorje Rinpoche.
Rinpoche explained a few times that yogis carried a basket they called their "samatogs".
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

MiphamFan wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Kunzang Tobgyal wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Rinpoche explained a few times that yogis carried a basket they called their "samatogs".
Very Cool. Did he mention what kinda stuff they held inside?
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Initation cards when they wanted to give an empowerment, malas, vajra and bell. Everything a travelling siddha needs.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

MiphamFan wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:58 am Initation cards when they wanted to give an empowerment, malas, vajra and bell. Everything a travelling siddha needs.
it's an ancient and not ergonomic backpack haha
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:58 am Initation cards when they wanted to give an empowerment, malas, vajra and bell. Everything a travelling siddha needs.
i believe in sidepack (shoulder bag)
Lost In Transmission
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

We should rely on 3 Baskets and not put all our eggs in one. ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm
Good one. :tongue:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i wonder how weird was a sort of renunciant going around with a basket. it couldn't be a more curious guy haha

maybe they hid in a disguise of bizarre
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Josef

Post by Josef »

"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Dzogchen”