Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

ItsRaining
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by ItsRaining » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:21 pm
passel wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm
Lankavatara is old news in Chan as near as I can tell- supplanted.
Nevertheless, the sudden approach comes from it.
As far as I know, it’s generally accepted the Sudden approach originated with Zhu Daosheng and Zhi Daolin before the translation of the Lankavatara. And the Lanka although used in hagiographies isn’t really focused on as the topic of other Chan writings like those about practice. With no commentaries from early a Chance practitioners. Early works like the Two Practices and Four Entrances make no reference of any Sutra like the Lanka.

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Virgo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 pm
Dan74 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 pm
This is not a universally accepted scheme, Norwegian, and one I don't find persuasive or practical at all. But horses for courses.
It is an accepted scheme in this sub forum.
In addition, Dzogchen has many methods, both for introducing the student, and for the student to cultivate.

Kevin...

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28484
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Malcolm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm

passel wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:21 pm
passel wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm
Lankavatara is old news in Chan as near as I can tell- supplanted.
Nevertheless, the sudden approach comes from it.
Is dzogchen not ‘sudden’ then, since it has its own sources, or are there multiple origins for ‘sudden’ teachings?
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28484
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Malcolm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:53 pm

ItsRaining wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:21 pm
passel wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm
Lankavatara is old news in Chan as near as I can tell- supplanted.
Nevertheless, the sudden approach comes from it.
As far as I know, it’s generally accepted the Sudden approach originated with Zhu Daosheng and Zhi Daolin before the translation of the Lankavatara. And the Lanka although used in hagiographies isn’t really focused on as the topic of other Chan writings like those about practice. With no commentaries from early a Chance practitioners. Early works like the Two Practices and Four Entrances make no reference of any Sutra like the Lanka.
Do Daosheng's ideas have any impact on Chan?
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

PeterC
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by PeterC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 am

SilenceMonkey wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah, I think your hunch may be a little bit off. They're rare, but you can find practitioners of both Ch'an/Zen/Seon and Dzogchen or Mahamudra. I'm a bit more familiar with Chinese tradition, but I've heard korean zen (Seon) practitioners sometimes have tantric influence. Undoubtedly, some go for teaching from Tibetans.

There is a master in Taiwan of Ch'an, Dzogchen and Mahamudra. He told us that they were all of the same level and the same in nature, with only the slightest differences... He may have meant differences in flavor, or perhaps in technique. But he said Ch'an was only suitable for people of the highest capacity, and it relies on self-power. Vajrayana is easier, as it relies on blessings of the guru. He often talked about Xuyun (Empty Cloud) as the last person in history to achieve enlightenment through purely ch'an methods. (By enlightenment, he probably meant buddhahood. Often he would compare Empty Cloud with Milarepa, Chatral Rinpoche and Shakya Shri.)

Nan Huai-Ch'in was a famous master in China and Taiwan who studied Dao and Ch'an as well as tantric methods. I'm not sure if he studied Mahamudra and Dzogchen in particular, but he might be good to check out.

I also know of a Hungarian student of Khenpo Munsel Rinpoche, who meditated in a cave behind Khenpo Munsel Rinpoche's monastery for 9 years. He also studied Ch'an in China and says that Ch'an, Dzogchen and Mahamudra are basically the same. He lives in Beijing now.
There are plenty of people who have practiced in both traditions. I have myself. But to have a useful experiential point of view on how they differ you would need to have done multiple decades of study and practice in each. Most people who claim knowledge of multiple traditions have credible experience of one and much lighter experience of another. That’s not really enough. Bear in mind that there are some prominent dzogchen teachers around today who were told by their gurus not to give dzogchen teachings until they were in their 50s. So that’s forty or so years of practice until they’re in a position to share their experience.

Nan Huajin’s experience, and the validation of that experience by his teachers, is in large parts self-proclaimed. I seriously doubt how much he really knew about the Vajrayana from a practice perspective.

It is easy to say that these things are all basically the same. Superficially they look very similar. But there are profound differences in how they are presented and practiced. I just don’t think it helps anyone to conflate them.

User avatar
passel
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by passel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
passel wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:21 pm


Nevertheless, the sudden approach comes from it.
Is dzogchen not ‘sudden’ then, since it has its own sources, or are there multiple origins for ‘sudden’ teachings?
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
Good
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

User avatar
Dechen Norbu
Posts: 2880
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Dechen Norbu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 am

post enlightenment mmmmmmm (insert homer)

PeterC
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by PeterC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:53 am

Dechen Norbu wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 am
post enlightenment mmmmmmm (insert homer)
homer.jpg
homer.jpg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Temicco
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Temicco » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
What does it come from, then?
"Deliberate upon that which does not deliberate."
-Yaoshan Weiyan

"Right now if students are in fact truly genuine, source teachers can contact their potential and activate it with a single word or phrase, or a single act or scene."
-Yuanwu Keqin

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2226
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Josef » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Temicco wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
What does it come from, then?
It doenst "come from" anywhere.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Temicco wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
What does it come from, then?
I don’t know about that, in Guhyagarbha Lonchenpa describes great perfection yogi as someone who can realize union of creation and completion stage without subject-object or sense of doership, which appears like a reflection. Whatever word you want to use, it comes from practice.
I got my Chili Chilaya.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28484
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Malcolm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Temicco wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
What does it come from, then?
Liberation does not come from anywhere. Everything is already liberated, just as it is.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Temicco wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 pm
Dzogchen is not a sudden school. It argues that liberation does not come from realization.
What does it come from, then?
Liberation does not come from anywhere. Everything is already liberated, just as it is.
Sure. But defiled beings have to get into some method.
I got my Chili Chilaya.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28484
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Malcolm » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Crazywisdom wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Temicco wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 am


What does it come from, then?
Liberation does not come from anywhere. Everything is already liberated, just as it is.
Sure. But defiled beings have to get into some method.
Sure. But that has nothing to do with liberation, from a Dzogchen perspective.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:15 pm
Crazywisdom wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 pm


Liberation does not come from anywhere. Everything is already liberated, just as it is.
Sure. But defiled beings have to get into some method.
Sure. But that has nothing to do with liberation, from a Dzogchen perspective.
Yes. Everything is already pure. Though, we dont notice this.
I got my Chili Chilaya.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:06 pm

So.... liberated means?... liberated from what bondage?
I got my Chili Chilaya.

florin
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by florin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am

The Secret Essence Tantra says:
Unbound from the beginning, so there is no new liberation,
Buddha's phenomena are perfectly accomplished from
the beginning.


There are lots of dzogchenpa's that hold the following view:
When the mind is deluded, that is cyclic existence.
If the mind is undeluded, that is called enlightenment.


Unfortunately this is completely incorrect .

Longchenpa explains:
Since everything is the great spontaneous presence of Kuntuzangpo,
There never was delusion, there never is delusion, and there never will be delusion.
This is beyond the limit of just naming or not naming cyclic existence.
No one was ever deluded in the past anywhere,
No one is deluded now, and no one will be deluded in the future.
This is the stainless emptiness wisdom mind of the three realms
of existence, great stainless purity from the beginning.
Since there is no delusion, there are no undeluded phenomena.
Original spontaneity is great self-occurring awareness.
There never was liberation, there is not liberation now,
and there never will be liberation.
The past is just a name, so no one has ever been liberated.
There will be no liberation because from the beginning,
nothing is bound.
Like sky, free from distinctions, limitations, and directions,
perfectly pure,
This is complete liberation, the wisdom mind of great
stainless purity from the beginning.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm

florin wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am
The Secret Essence Tantra says:
Unbound from the beginning, so there is no new liberation,
Buddha's phenomena are perfectly accomplished from
the beginning.


There are lots of dzogchenpa's that hold the following view:
When the mind is deluded, that is cyclic existence.
If the mind is undeluded, that is called enlightenment.


Unfortunately this is completely incorrect .

Longchenpa explains:
Since everything is the great spontaneous presence of Kuntuzangpo,
There never was delusion, there never is delusion, and there never will be delusion.
This is beyond the limit of just naming or not naming cyclic existence.
No one was ever deluded in the past anywhere,
No one is deluded now, and no one will be deluded in the future.
This is the stainless emptiness wisdom mind of the three realms
of existence, great stainless purity from the beginning.
Since there is no delusion, there are no undeluded phenomena.
Original spontaneity is great self-occurring awareness.
There never was liberation, there is not liberation now,
and there never will be liberation.
The past is just a name, so no one has ever been liberated.
There will be no liberation because from the beginning,
nothing is bound.
Like sky, free from distinctions, limitations, and directions,
perfectly pure,
This is complete liberation, the wisdom mind of great
stainless purity from the beginning.
Great birth is like a Buddha certificate. Congratulate yourself on a job well done. So there’s no lineage, no empowerment to receive, no method to practice? You’re not deluded. You’re a Buddha. Is that so?
I got my Chili Chilaya.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 1725
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Crazywisdom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

So... buddha’s Four actions? How does primordially liberated “yogi” do?
I got my Chili Chilaya.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28484
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Dzogchen and Zen on enlightenment and post-enlightenment

Post by Malcolm » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Crazywisdom wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm
So... buddha’s Four actions? How does primordially liberated “yogi” do?

Activities are effortless
due to the natural perfection of awakening,


-- Kun byed rgyal po.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 55 guests