Shouldn't this subforum have restricted access?

Hansei

Shouldn't this subforum have restricted access?

Post by Hansei »

Many times Rinpoche (Chögyal Namkhai Norbu) has told us (his students) how it is not good to talk about certain aspects of the Dzogchen teachings in public, where non practitioners might hear it.

In this subforum, some things are talked about that wouldn't (or shouldn't) be talked about in public. But still, they are, and because the subforum is open to unregistered users, the messages can be indexed by search engines and read by anyone on the Internet.

Can we be sure that we are not affecting Rinpoche and our samayas by what we are talking here, publicly?

Wouldn't it be safer if this subforum was restricted to registered users?

Wouldn't it be better to err on the side of caution?
DewachenVagabond

Re: Shouldn't this subforum have restricted access?

Post by DewachenVagabond »

There is in fact a "Buddhist Tantric Talk" subforum that is restricted.

I think different groups and different teachers have different ideas and are more or less strict about what should be kept restricted/secret and what doesn't necessarily need to be. If you're concerned about a specific topic then I guess just don't post about it or participate in those conversations. Occasionally there are posts on here that I prefer to avoid for just this reason. If something really strikes you as inappropriate, then maybe notify a mod, but honestly I would think they would see it pretty quickly anyway. Unless you're a mod, I think that's about all you can do, because we're not samaya-police.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

It is rare to see something inappropriate posted here. Even if the subforum was only for registered users this wouldn't change much. Everyone is responsible for themselves so it is up to each person not to discuss restricted things here or anywhere else.
rai

Post by rai »

was just thinking about it

correct me if i am wrong but i think already on e-sangha Namdrol was mentioning that NNR did not like people discussing Dzogchen online..but then we enjoy it too much ;P
Aryjna wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm It is rare to see something inappropriate posted here. Even if the subforum was only for registered users this wouldn't change much. Everyone is responsible for themselves so it is up to each person not to discuss restricted things here or anywhere else.
does not matter whether stuff inappropriate or not, or whatever justification we could have, if the teacher said he did not like it, then students should respect it (well or not ;d)
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

If we treat our own Mind as a secret then we can treat everything external also as a secret, the whole world can become a dark secret.

It is beneficial to talk and discuss about Dzogchen, and others can have profit of that "conversation".
If people do not understand something they can make questions about it, that is the reason to partake in forums.
People can PM and by that many questions can be answered.

Or must we answer on questions, go and ask your Master for that ?
Everybody with a realized quantum of Wisdom (realized) can answer on questions and that is now the point, NOT everybody may and can.
That can be because persons do not have that Wisdom
or
It cannot happen because a certain Master says NO to that, without any investigations.
or
Politics

So there are many teachers who claim the sole rights for teachings, regarding about that, what we all possess inherently BODHICITTA.
My Bodhicitta is what "i" own and that is "my" property. I can undertake to explore that inherent Bodhicitta, in many means/ways
It is up to me and not the opinion of somebody else how to make investigations about "my" inherent Bodhicitta.

I would never deny the precious function of the Lineage and the Rigdzin of that Lineage etc, it is very powerful, but my inherent Bodhicitta is as powerful.

Together one can have success and that is interdependent and never dependent.
The best meditation is no meditation
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If you see something inappropriate, flag it and a mod will look into it. We do this all the time.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

rai wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:08 pm

does not matter whether stuff inappropriate or not, or whatever justification we could have, if the teacher said he did not like it, then students should respect it (well or not ;d)
That is one option and that is the general one, we all know in the Tibetan Traditions

But what is forbidden in one Tradition
Is allowed in another one

That forms the very reason for some to look here and there.

For instance we discuss the 4 6 Lamps in Bön Dzogchen openly and not in secret, in other Traditions this is forbidden.

That means that if i would discuss the 6 / 4 Lamps on the Bön Forum , then some super advisers from another Tibetan Tradition would inform the Mods that my posting was inappropriate and the end of the song would be my post will be deleted / closed / sent to here viewforum.php?f=90, where it is sure that no answer would be seen in public, but persons nevertheless can get informed via PM............

So what is the law and what is forbidden regarding our own Mind ?
In Nature there are no restrictions, outside Nature there are a lot of restrictions etc.

All laws ( sometimes based on politics), are mostly human made laws and that places many ?
The best meditation is no meditation
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm
rai wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:08 pm

That is one option and that is the general one, we all know in the Tibetan Traditions

But what is forbidden in one Tradition
Is allowed in another one

That forms the very reason for some to look here and there.

For instance we discuss the 4 6 Lamps in Bön Dzogchen openly and not in secret, in other Traditions this is forbidden.

That means that if i would discuss the 6 / 4 Lamps on the Bön Forum , then some super advisers from another Tibetan Tradition would inform the Mods that my posting was inappropriate and the end of the song would be my post will be deleted...........

So what is the law and what is forbidden regarding our own Mind ?
In Nature there are no restrictions, outside Nature there are a lot of restrictions etc.

All laws ( sometimes based on politics), are mostly human made laws and that places many ?
[/quot
Tibetan Buddhist Dzogchen has its Samaya and Bon well,you know much better than i do.
To each its own fora.Seems to have worked so far.
Last edited by amanitamusc on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:53 pm If you see something inappropriate, flag it and a mod will look into it. We do this all the time.
What if we don't notice everything that might be inappropriate?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hansei wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm
Queequeg wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:53 pm If you see something inappropriate, flag it and a mod will look into it. We do this all the time.
What if?

We depend on you to keep these forums on point.

I will rant a little - the world is not responsible for your mind. The moderators here are not responsible for protecting the various samaya you undertake. We are happy to support but to expect us to proactively protect you and your teacher - that's not going to happen. Furthermore, this is a general discussion forum for the public. We are not here to facilitate your vajra community in particular. If you want to have an online discussion forum for your communities with restricted access, you should talk to your teacher, pool some resources and put up a discussion forum - it really doesn't cost that much and its really not that difficult.

Not responding to your personally, Hansei. This is a general message to the wider community.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

rai wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:08 pm was just thinking about it

correct me if i am wrong but i think already on e-sangha Namdrol was mentioning that NNR did not like people discussing Dzogchen online..but then we enjoy it too much ;P
Aryjna wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm It is rare to see something inappropriate posted here. Even if the subforum was only for registered users this wouldn't change much. Everyone is responsible for themselves so it is up to each person not to discuss restricted things here or anywhere else.
It depends I suppose. Is asking about books, talking about planned events etc. talking about Dzogchen in that sense? Maybe.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Hansei wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm
What if?

We depend on you to keep these forums on point.

I will rant a little - the world is not responsible for your mind. The moderators here are not responsible for protecting the various samaya you undertake. We are happy to support but to expect us to proactively protect you and your teacher - that's not going to happen. Furthermore, this is a general discussion forum for the public. We are not here to facilitate your vajra community in particular. If you want to have an online discussion forum for your communities with restricted access, you should talk to your teacher, pool some resources and put up a discussion forum - it really doesn't cost that much and its really not that difficult.

Not responding to your personally, Hansei. This is a general message to the wider community.
I'm sorry Queequeg. I didn't doubt for a second about the work the moderators do, and I know it can be a lot of work.

I just want to clarify that I was not talking for my community. I was only sharing my personal opinion. Hope I didn't create any disturbances.

I understand you point and see this matter clarified.

Thanks. :namaste:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This has been discussed a number of times. The fact is that people are going to talk about Dzogchen on the internet anyway. There are many places for them to do so. It is better for them to have a place like this that is well-moderated (probably better moderated than other forums where people discuss Dzogchen Teachings), where anything that is restricted can easily be removed, and where errors can be corrected by senior practitioners and lamas. We are lucky to have advanced people here that can dispel the many wrong notions people have when it comes to Dzogchen.

We all need to do our job to not post anything that we should not, and to report anything we see which has been posted but should not have been.

Have a nice day.

Kevin...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hansei wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:02 pm I'm sorry Queequeg.
And I'm sorry, Hansei. I'm sorry I made you a prop for my rant. Truly was not about you. :)

Return to “Dzogchen”