Simon E.

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Has Attained Parinirvana

Post by Simon E. »

“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Moha

Post by Moha »

We will be with you again and again, for many lives to come, until Supreme Realization.
:heart:
DerFrager

Post by DerFrager »

Dear students of Chogyal Namkhai Norbus' teachings,
I don't know much about Buddhism, but I am sure, that Namkhai Norbu was a big teacher with a lot of knowlegde and that he brought much inspiration to the ones, who listened to him.

I have a question and it shouldn't be disrespectful regarding the life and passing away of him, but I would like to know the exact time of his birth.

If everything has a meaning and the exact time of his passing away was mentioned in the letter of his family, then there must be also a meaning in the exact time of his birth on the 8th of december 1938. Does somebody, please, has an information about it or knows where to search for it?

I hope, that this question was not too disrespectful and I would be really grateful for an answer.
Kind regards to everyone,
Lars
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DerFrager wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 pm Dear students of Chogyal Namkhai Norbus' teachings,
I don't know much about Buddhism, but I am sure, that Namkhai Norbu was a big teacher with a lot of knowlegde and that he brought much inspiration to the ones, who listened to him.

I have a question and it shouldn't be disrespectful regarding the life and passing away of him, but I would like to know the exact time of his birth.

If everything has a meaning and the exact time of his passing away was mentioned in the letter of his family, then there must be also a meaning in the exact time of his birth on the 8th of december 1938. Does somebody, please, has an information about it or knows where to search for it?

I hope, that this question was not too disrespectful and I would be really grateful for an answer.
Lars
I can't imagine they had an exact time and noted it in 1938 in Kham. But I admit, I don't know.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

DerFrager wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 pm Dear students of Chogyal Namkhai Norbus' teachings,

Lars
ChNNR spoke of details of his birth in "My Reincarnation" and I remember some references in other sources so perhaps you can piece something together.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Ayu wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Lars
I can't imagine they had an exact time and noted it in 1938 in Kham. But I admit, I don't know.
That was my first thought too, especially since (AFAIK) Tibetan astrology doesn't focus on the specific hour and minute.
...If you find out I'd be curious.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
SkyDragon3

Post by SkyDragon3 »

Lars
With respect, mixing different cultural views and values is unlikely to be helpful, I would suggest.

In Tibetan buddhism great masters are commemorated on the date and time of their death, not the time of their birth. There is a reason for this. It is what they accomplished in their life that is to be remembered and found inspirational.

Just a short review of the life and accomplishments of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is almost beyond belief, by ordinary human standards, so I hope some devoted individual or individuals decide to record this for future dharma practitioners, especially dzogchenpas.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

climb-up wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:19 am
Ayu wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Lars
That was my first thought too, especially since (AFAIK) Tibetan astrology doesn't focus on the specific hour and minute.
...If you find out I'd be curious.
Me too.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

''Dear friends,

We ask you to remember the request for silence and privacy during these intense and important weeks for all of us.

It is time to gather our thoughts and to practice, in solitude or collectively, in Merigar or in any other place on earth. Later on there will be an appropriate time to exchange photos, videos, memories and stories.

Now for a few weeks let’s take the time not to run behind the last details or collect photos and videos, or to disclose images of private moments such as the practice and the ceremony of October 3.

Let’s give space to the present, to this exceptional situation that we are experiencing.

Let’s practice Guruyoga, the practice of Presence and of working with circumstances.

Merigar Gakyil''

http://melong.com/request-silence-privacy/
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
meepits

Post by meepits »

Where the administration site refers to him as having been “the foremost living Dzogchen,” I assume what’s being translated is “Dzogchen teacher”?
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

meepits wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Where the administration site refers to him as having been “the foremost living Dzogchen,” I assume what’s being translated is “Dzogchen teacher”?
Pretty much. It says ‘rdzogs chen bstan pa’, which would be ‘Dzogchen teachings’, then ‘snang byed chen po’ which is a phrase I’ve not come across before, but would be something like ‘great Illuminator’.

So I think the literal translation would be “great illuminator of the Dzogchen teachings”. I’m sure someone with more nuanced understanding could give a better translation though.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Not sure if anyone clicked on the link in the other thread, but there is a nice video of Rinpoche embedded further down.

https://www.jamyangnorbu.com/blog/2018/ ... KsUElCtnMO

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Poem by Elio Guarisco in memory of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu:

On the anniversary of the birthday
of the One whose name is difficult
to pronounce
I recall his unfathomable qualities
that re-modelled mine and many other's minds.

Once met on the ways of
inscrutable connections

the meaning of countless
teachings received from
many kind teachers
became clear like a bright lamp
in the night.

The concepts of the ordinary
spiritual ways collapsed like
an old broken bridge
not to be rebuilt again.

Any desire for dialectic confrontation
seen as the play of children
disappeared like midst
with the arising of the sun.

The attachment to philosphical views
became like an empty banano tree
after it gave the fruit of the small bananas.

The desire for secret instructions
and initiations came to an end
like the river in winter on the planes
of India.

The excitement of tantric practices
was replaced by the understanding that
the very essence of what people call meditation
is nothing but unfocused presence.

The search for a separate empty nature of the mind
to be discovered like a treasure by effort
was replaced by relaxing in non action
the unconceptualized essence of mind.

Meditation as familiarization with a focus
and stressful mindfulness that grasp at the present moment
and at being twice aware of oneself
has dissolved
in the understanding of effortless contemplation

The ambition for positions of responsability
and power was shunned
like the stench of a pigsty.

The artifice of working for other
gave away replaced continuous activity
devoid of a deliberate aim
that ripen other's capacities.

The sense of being a Buddhist
melted in the sense of not belonging
to anything.

Even the sense of being a practitioner
of one's own cherished teaching
holds no real grip on oneself.

Now you have gone
and left us orphans
in the middle of a desert

yet you have carved
an invisible map
in our heart

you have placed in our hands
an invisible lamp.

Your unceasing activity
transpares and shines
through the light of your
seemigly ordinary students.

Although your imposing and
magnificient presence
resembling that of the great Siddha Virupa
has disssolved into a luminous space

you left behind a line of skilled students
who are beyond the torment of doubt
and who unpretentiously
and in different ways nail
the essence of your teaching
for the future generation
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Yes, many times yes, wonderful, thanks for posting.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Thank you Elio . I am moved deeply..Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu... And thank you Dronma for posting it.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Dzogchen”