Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Has Attained Parinirvana

Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Has Attained Parinirvana

Post by Mantrik »

lelopa wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am
Mantrik wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm ChNN and his senior students have defined exactly what we should be practising at this time.
Of course, people who follow other Gurus may wish to follow their advice instead.
If you follow both, I would still adhere to the wishes of ChNN and not mix things.
the seniors mix namcho with longsal :shrug:
In these specific circumstances it is better for us not to mix practices from different masters with those our own master has prescribed. There is a risk we may interfere or waste our energy, for example if another Lama answered a general question and advised Phowa. That's just my personal view as I feel I may not be alone in lacking the skill to go off piste.

Today:
(Times are GMT+2)

10:00 Vajrasattva Purification and Twenty-Five Spaces of Samantabhadra
12:00 Guru Yoga of white A
15:00 Guru Yoga of white A
17.00 Ganapuja with invocation of the Lamp - Marme Monlam
20:00 Guru Yoga of white A

THis is also important:

''All together in the same state.
All together purifying our Samaya.
All together keeping the Precious TeachingsTeachings in our heart.''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:17 amIn these specific circumstances it is better for us not to mix practices from different masters with those our own master has prescribed. There is a risk we may interfere or waste our energy, for example if another Lama answered a general question and advised Phowa.
I think we should not make this already tremendously difficult situation even more difficult. If a student of both ChNN and GR feels like doing what GR advises right now, then why not do it? I mean, if the three sacred principles are there (and GR stresses them as much as ChNN), what is the problem? (Mixing is another thing, naturally, and AFAIR ChNN spoke quite consistently against it.)

To state the obvious: people respond differently to such situations. I know that some of us are just incapable of doing any elaborate practices right now. The Amitabha mantra might be something they can pull off.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:21 am
Mantrik wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:17 amIn these specific circumstances it is better for us not to mix practices from different masters with those our own master has prescribed. There is a risk we may interfere or waste our energy, for example if another Lama answered a general question and advised Phowa.
I think we should not make this already tremendously difficult situation even more difficult. If a student of both ChNN and GR feels like doing what GR advises right now, then why not do it?
Because the idea is that we share the same state, practise simultaneously and follow the advice of our Master on the conduct of his own dying process.

I doubt Garchen Rinpoche's recommendation was intended for disciples of ChNN in the knowledge that very clear advice was already in place. He was probably just trying to be helpful, and I don't think he would ever suggest we move away from the advice we already have.

No elaborate practice has been suggested afaik, and if a person only manages White A in its essence or SOV, at a relevant time, it is surely better than some other practice at a random time, however well meant.
It is not a matter of what is easiest or least upsetting, but what is most beneficial, and I do appreciate it is not easy for us.

If people want to use practices from other Masters whilst not knowing for sure if it is best, that's up to them. I can only speak for myself and assume that there are very very good reasons why we have been given very specific practices all the way through this continuing process.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Email received today:

Wednesday, October 3, 10.00 am (9.00am UK time)
at the Great Stupa of Merigar

A brief ceremony will be held to say farewell to and honor Master Namkhai Norbu, the inspiration and founder of the Dzogchen Community, who left this earthly existence on 27 September 2018.

A person of great spiritual significance, he knew with great sensitivity and wisdom how to place himself at the service of others, showing thousands of people the path of awareness.

A representative of the Dzogchen Community will give a brief farewell on behalf of the thousands of the Master's students in every part of the world.

All of His students will sing an ancient song taught by the Master and practiced very much in the Dzogchen Community in order to find themselves in a moment of kinship and meditation.

We invite everyone to share this moment.

You can also follow the ceremony on live webcast.

Gakyil of the Merigar West

Natan

Post by Natan »

ChNN used to say dying in GY of White A is better
Than phowa.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
APB

Post by APB »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm Email received today:

A brief ceremony will be held to say farewell to and honor Master Namkhai Norbu, the inspiration and founder of the Dzogchen Community, who left this earthly existence on 27 September 2018.

A person of great spiritual significance, he knew with great sensitivity and wisdom how to place himself at the service of others, showing thousands of people the path of awareness.

A representative of the Dzogchen Community will give a brief farewell on behalf of the thousands of the Master's students in every part of the world.

All of His students will sing an ancient song taught by the Master and practiced very much in the Dzogchen Community in order to find themselves in a moment of kinship and meditation.

A good bye ceremony seems strange.
No mention of Rinpoche's thukdam or cremation etc
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

APB wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Stay tuned, its early.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:52 pm
APB wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Stay tuned, its early.
Yet a farewell seems premature if he’s still resting in tukdam too... :shrug:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

I am only guessing, and I may be wrong, but I assume this is something for the benefit of the general public, at least given the language of the email.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:41 pm
weitsicht wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm I had the opportunity to address ChNNR’s passing to Garchen Rinpoche. He recommended the recitation of Amithaba mantra, fyi
Well, he's recommending that to *his* students presumably. ChNN's own students and DC members should follow His advice, which is pretty unmistakable, not mysterious, and was repeated pretty regularly.
This.
ChNN and his senior students have defined exactly what we should be practising at this time.
Of course, people who follow other Gurus may wish to follow their advice instead.
If you follow both, I would still adhere to the wishes of ChNN and not mix things.
I’ll just chime in that what ChNN and his senior students have prescribed is completely in line with what I’ve learned from the Nyingma view re: what to do when one’s guru passes—namely
to focus on Guru Yoga to receive the profound blessings that are available during this transition, and Vajrasattva to purify samaya.. and Tsok / ganapuja. In the Nyingma we would do Dorsem Lama Chopa Tsok for the 49 days which is an elaborate Tsok offering focusing on the Lama as Vajrasattva as an object of offering and devotion and receiving the blessing of their wisdom mind etc. What the Dzogchen Community is doing now is really no different, it’s simply using the practices ChNN gave regularly that the community is familiar with which have the same essence and effect. Re: Garchen Rinpoche’s advice, that was clearly advice to one unique individual not intended to be posted online as a prescription for an entire community. It also could be seen as a general answer given for any being that’s passed, just as the recitation of prayers for rebirth in Guru Rinpoche’s copper colored mountain would be.. although in the case of a great master usually instead of prayers encouraging them to join a pure realm we’d request a composition from some related wisdom lama requesting our master quickly take nirmanakaya form again to benefit beings.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Adamantine wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Well, he's recommending that to *his* students presumably. ChNN's own students and DC members should follow His advice, which is pretty unmistakable, not mysterious, and was repeated pretty regularly.
This.
ChNN and his senior students have defined exactly what we should be practising at this time.
I’ll just chime in that what ChNN and his senior students have prescribed is completely in line with what I’ve learned from the Nyingma view re: what to do when one’s guru passes—namely
to focus on Guru Yoga to receive the profound blessings that are available during this transition, and Vajrasattva to purify samaya.. and Tsok / ganapuja. In the Nyingma we would do Dorsem Lama Chopa Tsok for the 49 days which is an elaborate Tsok offering focusing on the Lama as Vajrasattva as an object of offering and devotion and receiving the blessing of their wisdom mind etc. What the Dzogchen Community is doing now is really no different, it’s simply using the practices ChNN gave regularly that the community is familiar with which have the same essence and effect. Re: Garchen Rinpoche’s advice, that was clearly advice to one unique individual not intended to be posted online as a prescription for an entire community. It also could be seen as a general answer given for any being that’s passed, just as the recitation of prayers for rebirth in Guru Rinpoche’s copper colored mountain would be.. although in the case of a great master usually instead of prayers encouraging them to join a pure realm we’d request a composition from some related wisdom lama requesting our master quickly take nirmanakaya form again to benefit beings.
My personal theory is that Garchen Rinpoche might have heard bad as he has bad hearing somewhat.

Althoug I must admit I have never seen a vajrasattva practice like this in a dzogchen community. But I guess it might be based on how it was described in the Precious Vase (there is but a short sentence about it saying we can do it similary as green tara that is described there). Does anyone know anything about the origin of the vajrasattva practice?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:41 am
lelopa wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am
Mantrik wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 pm ChNN and his senior students have defined exactly what we should be practising at this time.
the seniors mix namcho with longsal :shrug:
Which parts of what we've been doing are namcho?
side 6 the shitro-part
Lost In Transmission
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

A side note, Rinpoche entered parinirvana the same date as HHDKR.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 pm A side note, Rinpoche entered parinirvana the same date as HHDKR.

DS
HHDKR?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 pm A side note, Rinpoche entered parinirvana the same date as HHDKR.

DS
ho hooooo, an auspicious day then
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
yeshegyaltsen

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

Sorry but Dilgo Khyentse passed away on the 20th of the 8th month according to the Tibetan calendar, which was Sept. 28 when he passed in 1991 and last Saturday, Sept. 29 this year.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

From TWR's facebook post.
"Yesterday afternoon Maggie Freund of our Richmond sangha and I offered a tea ceremony and prayers for Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. My son, Senghe, participated. All the lamas, monks, nuns and children of Menri Monastery gathered for this prayer. It was a deeply moving and heartwarming experience."

https://www.facebook.com/tenzinwangyalr ... tn-str=k*F
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

yeshegyaltsen wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 pm Sorry but Dilgo Khyentse passed away on the 20th of the 8th month according to the Tibetan calendar, which was Sept. 28 when he passed in 1991 and last Saturday, Sept. 29 this year.
my new holiday got just ruined haha
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:52 am
yeshegyaltsen wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 pm Sorry but Dilgo Khyentse passed away on the 20th of the 8th month according to the Tibetan calendar, which was Sept. 28 when he passed in 1991 and last Saturday, Sept. 29 this year.
my new holiday got just ruined haha
According to his Shechen Monastery the solar calendar date
was September 27th: http://shechen.org/2014/09/sept-27-west ... rinirvana/
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

From Lama Tsultrim's facebook post:

"This morning we were given the great blessing of seeing Chogyal Namkhai Norbu’s kudhong, his sacred body. He is still in tugdam the meditation state where he is completing his activities. He stopped breathing Thursday his body has still not decayed at all. Up until this morning the sky was absolutely clear blue day and night since they brought him back from the hospital. His kudhong will be placed into this stupa in the video you can also see the gonpa at Merigar in the video. And open for viewing. Probably Wednesday he we be placed inside. Such blessing to be here with my vajra brothers and sisters."

Return to “Dzogchen”