Qualifications of a Lama

mandog

Qualifications of a Lama

Post by mandog » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm

So, I have read some books (WoMPT and various other ngondro commentaries) that speak to the characteristics and learning that a qualified lama should have. Nonetheless, I still feel mystified when trying to discern the qualities of famous lamas. It seems difficult to determine how somebody is if you can not spend time with them in an intimate setting. Is "gut feeling" a good guide?

Miroku

Re: Qualifications of a Lama

Post by Miroku » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm

mandog wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm
So, I have read some books (WoMPT and various other ngondro commentaries) that speak to the characteristics and learning that a qualified lama should have. Nonetheless, I still feel mystified when trying to discern the qualities of famous lamas. It seems difficult to determine how somebody is if you can not spend time with them in an intimate setting. Is "gut feeling" a good guide?
Could be if it is also backed by a common sense. Always use your brain. Often you can look at what the lama says and does, that could be good pointer and also looking at his/her best students.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

PemaSherab

Post by PemaSherab » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:20 pm

I had the opportunity to research my lamas ( via google), I read books by them, and I also to observed their sangha up close for several months before the first time I met them. I found by doing these things I was able to be comfortable taking refuge, empowerments, etc from them. Although, as a fairly shit buddhist, I hope no one looks at me as an example of Rinpoches's teachings.

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Bodhicitta is the litmus test.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

oldbob

Post by oldbob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Josef wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm
Bodhicitta is the litmus test.
Yup!

To quote KDLR Rinpoche, "If you want to know why I am on the throne, look at how I am benefiting them."

Also, you can look if their consorts are content and satisfied.

Also, can they read you book, chapter, verse, line and word and are you content with that?

Also, can they answer your Dharma questions fully and so that you have no more questions?

Also, can they give you practical worldly advice and not just Dharma advice? (Not really necessary, but nice.)

But unending kindness Bodhicitta, in the face of whatever you, or anybody, presents to them is the litmus test.

:heart:

Return to “Dzogchen”