Beyond cause and effect

Spelare

Beyond cause and effect

Post by Spelare »

How, concretely, does one realize the view beyond cause and effect? Theoretically, I do adhere to the view that what is revealed through my practice is not something I have constructed developmentally, but rather the disclosure to consciousness of various aspects of timeless perfection as obstructions come undone and a less constrained mode of engagement comes to characterize my default setting.

Nonetheless, it still seems that, for all practical intents and purposes, I do sādhanas and they produce the effect of certain cognitive or sensory-perceptual permutations. Such shifts in context or content of experience can also happen outside formal practice, but it seems to me that these come about because I am engaged in regular sādhana and deploy perceptual exercises in the course of daily life. And also, naturally, thanks to the good fortune of having received transmission and guidance from masters, and engaged spiritual friends in dialogue.

Perhaps there are other concrete experiences one must have before it becomes apparent what is beyond cause and effect. If so, which are these? Perhaps it's just a matter of effects seeming to have causes until they no longer do, in which case I'll just carry on and try to relax the sense of anticipation. Is there some strategy that may be helpful, or is giving free rein to strategic, goal-oriented mind itself an impediment? I welcome your reflections on this point.
Last edited by Spelare on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Malcolm

Re: Beyond cause and effect

Post by Malcolm »

Spelare wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 am How, concretely, does one realize the view beyond cause and effect?
By going beyond the mind.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:24 amBy going beyond the mind.
In order to discern and grow in familiarity with the capacity to do so, would it be advisable to engage in exercises aimed at discrimination between sems and sems nyid?
I go for refuge therein.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Spelare wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm
In order to discern and grow in familiarity with the capacity to do so, would it be advisable to engage in exercises aimed at discrimination between sems and sems nyid?
Rushen.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

that helps. But what one really needs is a guru with the intimate instructions.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 pm
that helps. But what one really needs is a guru with the intimate instructions.
Working on that. I feel some connection with Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, though I never met him in person, only through live webcasts in his final year of this life. For some reason the connection feels stronger after his passing. Perhaps it would be feasible simply to follow his instructions? That's what I'm doing until and unless I encounter a presently embodied master who will have me. I don't rule out the possibility of a sufficiently strong connection without guidance from one capable of observing me intensively, but I also wouldn't count on that.

Of course, I recognize the need to be discerning, and would not want to enter into relationship with a guru unless I had sure confidence in his or her ability to point the way all the way home. I have met a few different authorized teachers, but without entering into the sort of close relationship of guidance in which those instructions could be conferred judiciously. It is now evident to me that I was not previously ready to make such a commitment, but such experience as has arisen has inflamed the desire for liberation above all other desires. Should I encounter a master who is qualified, at least as far as I can tell from this side of realization, I would not hesitate to devote myself most ardently.
I go for refuge therein.
LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado »

I had no idea that Chögyal Namkhai Norbu passed - I see that was a couple of months ago. I am saddened for the loss and to have never heard one of his transmissions live!

Return to “Dzogchen”