Backwards Ati

passel

Backwards Ati

Post by passel »

"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Backwards Ati

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Again, Trungpa Rinpoche gave his students TGS transmission when we entered into the vajrayāna, and therefore his students would usually be on an emotional roller coaster throughout the four ngöndro practices. I think that’s because of the disruptive quality of the TGS transmission itself
Guru yoga brings claustrophobic experience of TGS. It’s like constant open-heart surgery without anesthetics. Trungpa Rinpoche described guru yoga as a form of rape: you’re being raped by the lineage and the guru. It’s “rape” because you’re helpless: you can’t protect or defend yourself. Because of the practices you’ve done and your relationship with your teacher, your egocentric defense mechanisms don’t function in their usual way anymore.
Not sure what Trungpa taught (if this indeed is a fair description in any way) or what the author of these words learned. It sure as hell is not what my teachers have taught, if I have understood anything.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Describing GuruYoga as a rape is bit too much. We begin to engage in guru yoga by our own volition, rape on the other hand ...
Plus quite frankly to be on an emotional rollercoaster one does not need any sort transmission at all. It is enough to go to see one's family on Christmas or just live in general.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Guru Yoga is about experiencing Nature of Mind
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Say anything about Trungpa's teaching (or supposed teaching)? No, I'll bite my tongue.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Natan

Post by Natan »

It’s important to remember guru talk is very time, place, and audience context dependent. We don’t know whose confusion he was poking at.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Silent Bob1

Post by Silent Bob1 »

Trungpa Rinpoche said many things that were cryptic, veiled, or poetic. Many students found this appealing, others not so much. Personally, I learned most of what I know about dharma from the straightforward, traditional presentations of Thrangu Rinpoche and others, while much of CTR's verbal flights of fancy flew right past me.
passel

Post by passel »

"Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage "
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am
Again, Trungpa Rinpoche gave his students TGS transmission when we entered into the vajrayāna, and therefore his students would usually be on an emotional roller coaster throughout the four ngöndro practices. I think that’s because of the disruptive quality of the TGS transmission itself
Guru yoga brings claustrophobic experience of TGS. It’s like constant open-heart surgery without anesthetics. Trungpa Rinpoche described guru yoga as a form of rape: you’re being raped by the lineage and the guru. It’s “rape” because you’re helpless: you can’t protect or defend yourself. Because of the practices you’ve done and your relationship with your teacher, your egocentric defense mechanisms don’t function in their usual way anymore.
Not sure what Trungpa taught (if this indeed is a fair description in any way) or what the author of these words learned. It sure as hell is not what my teachers have taught, if I have understood anything.
He seems to be referring to the notion of Guru Yoga being unstoppable. He's speaking about the Mahaguru, at the essence of this. It's not about the person who you consider the Guru... Once you contact bodhichitta your mindstream is changed forever. There is no longer a choice about anything. While I'm sure the metaphor can be changed and the transmission the same... in this instance he used the imagery of choicelessness for your ego being like your ego being raped by wakeful compassion.

TGS is only an emotional rollercoaster if one forgets the instructions...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TrimePema wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:10 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am
He seems to be referring to the notion of Guru Yoga being unstoppable. He's speaking about the Mahaguru, at the essence of this. It's not about the person who you consider the Guru... Once you contact bodhichitta your mindstream is changed forever. There is no longer a choice about anything. While I'm sure the metaphor can be changed and the transmission the same... in this instance he used the imagery of choicelessness for your ego being like your ego being raped by wakeful compassion.

It is a stupid metaphor.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 am It is a stupid metaphor.
Not only a stupid metaphor, but a dangerous one as we now have decades of experience to attest to.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 pm ................
We don’t know whose confusion he was poking at.
His own?!?
Lost In Transmission
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 pm It’s important to remember guru talk is very time, place, and audience context dependent. We don’t know whose confusion he was poking at.
Or who he was poking at the time.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Natan

Post by Natan »

Let’s not mock
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Crazywisdom wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 pm Let’s not mock
Hey, if you can't mock dead lamas, who can you mock?
-Padmasambhava
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

TrimePema wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:10 amHe seems to be referring to the notion of Guru Yoga being unstoppable. He's speaking about the Mahaguru, at the essence of this. It's not about the person who you consider the Guru... Once you contact bodhichitta your mindstream is changed forever. There is no longer a choice about anything. While I'm sure the metaphor can be changed and the transmission the same... in this instance he used the imagery of choicelessness for your ego being like your ego being raped by wakeful compassion.

In order to parse it like that not only did you have to fill in lots of blanks, your reading (its very last sentence) also had to literally contradict what the author wrote.

I strongly disagree that you can use whatever metaphor you want and the transmission will still be the same. A guru chooses a metaphor so that the transmission can take place -- and in order for it to happen it has to be the right metaphor for the given student at the given time. Sure. That said, if you listen to teachers teach or read accounts of how they have taught, there is a remarkable consistency there. There is room for variation, of course, but the variation is pretty much always within certain boundaries.

And it is so for a good reason: To change a metaphor is to change what is pointed out -- it is to point out a different "thing." Trungpa's (alleged) talk about surgeries without anaesthetics, emotional rollercoasters, the supposedly claustrophobic nature of the experience of the ordinary mind and, creme de la creme, rape clearly points in entirely different directions than traditional metaphors do.

And his metaphors are mortally dangerous, too.

Were it not Buddhism, everybody here would be screaming blue murder.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
passel

Post by passel »

Karma Dorje wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm
Better to mock live ones maybe.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Ewww! What the actual Fu*%!?

In addition to being gross, in poor taste (at the vary least) and ...theres too much to even say... ...but additionally that doesn't even seem like an accurate, if gross, metaphor:
Of course you can 'protect' yourself, in this metaphor, you simply avoid the teachings, or don't go to an empowerment, or don't put what you've learned into practice.
In fact, it's probably a good idea to protect yourself from a teacher who uses a metaphor like this, by going to another teacher!
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Josef

Post by Josef »

climb-up wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:25 am
Ewww! What the actual Fu*%!?

In addition to being gross, in poor taste (at the vary least) and ...theres too much to even say... ...but additionally that doesn't even seem like an accurate, if gross, metaphor:
Of course you can 'protect' yourself, in this metaphor, you simply avoid the teachings, or don't go to an empowerment, or don't put what you've learned into practice.
In fact, it's probably a good idea to protect yourself from a teacher who uses a metaphor like this, by going to another teacher!
Yes.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Natan

Post by Natan »

Karma Dorje wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm
Yourself

Return to “Dzogchen”