MELONG GIFT

Post Reply
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:30 am

Is it kosher to give a Melong (NEW) as a gift (to wear for protection) to somebody (my son)...whom is not a Dzogchen practitioner (yet) ?
It's NOT kosher to buy one for yourself... (right ?)

I sent for one....it's coming from Italy !!!!

Thank you

:heart:

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by Mantrik » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 am

The melong has a spectrum of use from the symbolic to the shamanic.
I think it is fine to buy a melong for someone for any of those uses, as long as you know how to perform that function.
For protection, you may wish to have it blessed . If it is a larger DC one then of course it has the mantra on the inside, but as far as I know ChNN did not bless them.
You may consider blessing it yourself in the same way one blesses a phurba or other ritual implement, even through use on the shrine.
There are other methods, inviting the deity or dharmapala to enter the melong etc. and several others along the more shamanic end of the spectrum.
A used melong is a different matter if from an unknown source.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Melong for protection?

User avatar
schubertian
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by schubertian » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Why would it be not-kosher to buy one for oneself?

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:08 pm

schubertian wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:03 pm
Why would it be not-kosher to buy one for oneself?
I don't know...i read it somewhere....maybe it's more auspicious if it is given to you...

User avatar
schubertian
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by schubertian » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, for me, it is pretty unelaborate, really - it is a token of my devotion to my root guru ChNN, a reminder to remain in relaxed and undistracted presence during the day, and a symbol of the buddha's teaching to regard all things as being like reflections or illusions.

So there you go - it is a complete path to enlightenment - lol.

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:58 pm

schubertian wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 pm
Well, for me, it is pretty unelaborate, really - it is a token of my devotion to my root guru ChNN, a reminder to remain in relaxed and undistracted presence during the day, and a symbol of the buddha's teaching to regard all things as being like reflections or illusions.

So there you go - it is a complete path to enlightenment - lol.

Yes...and they are sold to be bought by anyone....i wonder if ChNN ever bought one for himself....anyways....i originally wanted to buy the one i bought.. for myself....then i read that snippet someplace that you don't buy for yourself.... :shrug: (maybe it was a magical illusion i read ????)

My son has always been interested in Buddhism and this kind of thing (deep truth)....he also likes simple jewelry & symbolic stuff & is open to this kind of spiritual path.....i thought of giving to him....i can always get another one later......???


:bow: :bow: :bow:

User avatar
schubertian
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by schubertian » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 pm

a lovely thought and a wonderful gift

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 am

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 am
The melong has a spectrum of use from the symbolic to the shamanic.
I think it is fine to buy a melong for someone for any of those uses, as long as you know how to perform that function.
For protection, you may wish to have it blessed . If it is a larger DC one then of course it has the mantra on the inside, but as far as I know ChNN did not bless them.
You may consider blessing it yourself in the same way one blesses a phurba or other ritual implement, even through use on the shrine.
There are other methods, inviting the deity or dharmapala to enter the melong etc. and several others along the more shamanic end of the spectrum.
A used melong is a different matter if from an unknown source.
YES...i would be leary of wearing a used one...unless given by my teacher....i myself have never had a melong...thank you for all your insight & advice Mantrik :heart:

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm
Melong for protection?
No ? :shrug:

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:38 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:18 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm
Melong for protection?
No ? :shrug:
:shrug:

I mean, it symbolizes a wisdom that implies no need for protection, etc. :P

User avatar
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 am

Yeah I think buying some tibetan amulet for protection would be maybe better. :) But dunno.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by Mantrik » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Miroku wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 am
Yeah I think buying some tibetan amulet for protection would be maybe better. :) But dunno.
The melong is often used as a thogchag, an amulet.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 am

Well...my son loves it...he felt blessed immediately as it was put on him....it is so beautiful !!! I was surprised it was silver in color...i thought it would be gold....my son prefers silver...and i bought him a sterling silver chain, that i thought would be too short....but it was PERFECT (at heart level).....

Thank you :heart: whomever packaged & made this !


:bow: :bow: :bow:

Pema Rigdzin
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: MELONG GIFT

Post by Pema Rigdzin » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:51 pm

That’s awesome Lhadzom! Glad to hear it all worked out for you. :)

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hansei, Matt J and 40 guests