Are Trikaya levels?

Viach

Are Trikaya levels?

Post by Viach »

Are Trikaya ontological levels of reality (suchness)? By analogy: subatomic (level), nuclear, atomic, molecular, gene, cellular etc. Dharmakaya is, respectively, the proto (thin) level, and Nirmanakaya - the upper (rough) level?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Are Trikaya levels?

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Ice, water, vapor.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Viach wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm Are Trikaya ontological levels of reality (suchness)? By analogy: subatomic (level), nuclear, atomic, molecular, gene, cellular etc. Dharmakaya is, respectively, the proto (thin) level, and Nirmanakaya - the upper (rough) level?
No they are not. Try to understand them on their own terms, in their own context (nothing else would really constitute understanding in any case).
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

smcj wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 pm Ice, water, vapor.
hello, i am a block of ice. when i melt, will you be a vapor or a block of ice?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

TrimePema wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 am
Hmmm. I don’t get what you’re trying to say. Want to try that again?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

smcj wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:05 am
TrimePema wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 am
Hmmm. I don’t get what you’re trying to say. Want to try that again?
If you are a block of ice and when I see you I see water does that mean I understand that both aspects, water and ice, are none other than expressions of vapor?

But if I am a block of ice and you are a block of ice and all I see is ice, can I know ice is none other than water and vapor?
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Viach wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm Are Trikaya ontological levels of reality (suchness)? By analogy: subatomic (level), nuclear, atomic, molecular, gene, cellular etc. Dharmakaya is, respectively, the proto (thin) level, and Nirmanakaya - the upper (rough) level?
Not at all, not in the least. To see it that way is to look at it through the perspective of a pre-existing ontological attitude, most likely a Western cultural construct. I mean, it was the Greek philosophers - and here I'm by no means dismissing them or being critical of them - who thought about nature in terms of how it is constituted, what it is made from (like Animaxander with 'the boundless' or Thales with 'water' - and so on.)

The orientation of Buddhism is different. It is concerned with the nature of lived reality and the constituents of experience. That is why the 'dharmas' of the abhidharma are not at all like the atoms of the Greek and Indian atomists. Dharmas comprise infinitesimal 'moments of experience' that collectively create the impression of a unified whole (analogously to how the frames of a film generate a moving picture.) But they're nothing like the permanently existing 'uncuttable objects' that atomism posits. In fact Buddhism has always argued against atomism on philosophical grounds.

So Buddhist philosophy is not objective or 'objectifying' in the way that Western philosophy generally tends to be. If anything, it converges more with existentialism and phenomenology.

Speaking of which, have a read of Dan Lusthaus' online essay, What Is, and Isn't, Yogācāra. It contains a lot of useful cross-cultural analysis between Western and Buddhist philosophy. It's not overly long. (Lusthaus' wikipedia entry is here, he's a reputable scholar in Buddhism and phenomenology.)
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Dzogchen”