"From the beginning"

Jeff H

"From the beginning"

Post by Jeff H »

Could someone clarify for me why I find the phrase "from the beginning" so often in Dzogchen? In context it seems to mean that such and such has never not been the case. But the word "beginning" seems to imply a first cause and first event. Instead of "[it] has been pure from the beginning", why does not say, "[it] has always been pure"? What's the real meaning of "beginning" here?
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Malcolm

Re: "From the beginning"

Post by Malcolm »

Jeff H wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm Could someone clarify for me why I find the phrase "from the beginning" so often in Dzogchen? In context it seems to mean that such and such has never not been the case. But the word "beginning" seems to imply a first cause and first event. Instead of "[it] has been pure from the beginning", why does not say, "[it] has always been pure"? What's the real meaning of "beginning" here?
In some Dzogchen texts, "beginning" refers to putative state prior to the separation of samsara and nirvana. But it is not to be taken too literally. The term ye nas generally forms part of a compound past participle phrase of whatever verb is being used in the sentence. Sometimes it needs to be translated as "primordially," when an adjectival use is indicated.

Some phrases, like ka nas dag pa, for example, are also compound past participle phrases. In general, we can understand such compound past participle phrases as indicating that something is innate. In sutras, one does not find ka nas dag pa, but one does find very frequently gzod ma nas dag pa, which is identical in meaning. This "pure from the beginning" just means "innately pure."
Jeff H

Re: "From the beginning"

Post by Jeff H »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 pm... This "pure from the beginning" just means "innately pure."
I can't say I quite get all the grammar, but this idea of idiomatic usage, not to be taken too literally, makes sense to me. I think it's good to be aware of such usage because in other contexts the language is often quite precise.

Thanks.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva

Return to “Dzogchen”