Guru yoga

Lee ireland

Guru yoga

Post by Lee ireland » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi all,

I read about guru yoga and I was seeing that you should offer the deity something that means the most to you.

Would it work by offering my devotion, my realisation and my merit to the deity, then stay with the notion that all of my devotion, realisation and merit now absorbed into the deity and request the deity's act of blessings to my offering. Then pause in a state of non conceptual presence, before visualisation of the nectar bring poured back into my body, except with the knowing that what I feel coming back will be what I offered except the deity has now blessed it.

Would this be a good guru yoga? I feel very strongly towards doing this

Thanks

javier.espinoza.t

Re: Guru yoga

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Lee ireland wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 pm
Hi all,

I read about guru yoga and I was seeing that you should offer the deity something that means the most to you.

Would it work by offering my devotion, my realisation and my merit to the deity, then stay with the notion that all of my devotion, realisation and merit now absorbed into the deity and request the deity's act of blessings to my offering. Then pause in a state of non conceptual presence, before visualisation of the nectar bring poured back into my body, except with the knowing that what I feel coming back will be what I offered except the deity has now blessed it.

Thanks
where you read about that?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Lee ireland wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks
I'd recommend getting a teacher and getting some teachings on Guru Yoga before doing any of it.
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:09 am

Lee ireland wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Sounds like good yoga mojo. Also get a guru probably. But what do I know?
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Lee ireland

Post by Lee ireland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it was in placing buddhahood within reach, but I have read a lot of books containing guru yoga so I could be wrong.

But most definitely I have read that making an offering is only going to benefit if that offering has great importance to that individual, as the deity had no need for samsaric phenomenon. So if you only offer something for the pure sake of it or a specific set of offerings then what benefit will that be if it has no meaning to the individual making the offering

Lee ireland

Post by Lee ireland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm

[/quote]

I'd recommend getting a teacher and getting some teachings on Guru Yoga before doing any of it.
[/quote]

I already have a teacher, and have been taught guru yoga however it seems to be very different in each tradition. Not all guru yoga is the same, it has the same principles but not always the same

Lee ireland

Post by Lee ireland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Sounds like good yoga mojo. Also get a guru probably. But what do I know?
[/quote]

Thank you

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Lee ireland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm

I already have a teacher, and have been taught guru yoga however it seems to be very different in each tradition. Not all guru yoga is the same, it has the same principles but not always the same
You should practice the guru yoga you've been taught, as you've been taught it. Comparing other forms of guru yoga is ancillary at best and can cause confusion at worst.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm

I second the idea of only doing the guru yoga you’ve been taught; or, at the very least, finding someone who knows the specific idea you are working with and can clarify the practice. (Of course you’re trying to do that here, but it might be more directly helpful if you could reference the specific place you’ve read that).

The process you described sounds good, but also (at least to my ears) sounds quite specific, like it’s either part of a sadhana or not.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 am

Lee ireland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm pretty sure it was in placing buddhahood within reach, but I have read a lot of books containing guru yoga so I could be wrong.

But most definitely I have read that making an offering is only going to benefit if that offering has great importance to that individual, as the deity had no need for samsaric phenomenon. So if you only offer something for the pure sake of it or a specific set of offerings then what benefit will that be if it has no meaning to the individual making the offering
i see. in general one should offer, give away, things one is cling to to be able to set loose. For example some people like to smoke cigarettes and offering them, with the intention to be free from the clinging to them, can be cause of that, and also is meritorius because the same; another example is to offer something to please, like one offers flowers, etc., but one's guru is beyhond clinging, so doesn't need anything really.

you can try making offerings, but is good to have a clear sense of it. otherwise it becomes just a way for achieve merits.

i also readed that you already received transmission for a guruyoga, you should apply the method that you received. it is better that way.

in general, sense of guruyoga is being in the same state of your guru, wich is buddhahood.

have fun!

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 am

There are some methods of Guru Yoga where one offers one's body to the Guru and retinue; similar in a way to Chöd rites.
"One should always recite mantra, purifying the body."
--Cakrasaṃvara Tantra

Return to “Dzogchen”