Tsoknyi Rinpoche Question

swordfishontour

Tsoknyi Rinpoche Question

Post by swordfishontour »

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Could I respectfully ask has anyone any experience of being on retreat with Tsoknyi Rinpoche in the USA? There doesn't seem to be much information online other than the topic.

I have many years Dharma experience but haven't been on a retreat in more than a decade. Due to family commitments going on a weeks retreat is a big deal so I want to choose carefully.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Tata1

Re: Tsoknyi Rinpoche Question

Post by Tata1 »

Well, not in usa but 3 week retreat in argentina.
It had a huge influence on my practice to this very day.
Go for it
Pero

Post by Pero »

I have not been to the US but I've been to 3 of his German ones. I can also say that his teachings influenced my practice a lot. So I think it's definitely worth it to go to one of his retreats. Since you haven't been to any of his retreats before you will first have to go to the one open to all. The retreats are silent, meaning that outside of asking a question during Q/A, or something that absolutely needs talking, you keep quiet. I don't know about the US but in Germany teachings were twice a day (except on first and last day) and we had three group practice sessions (without Rinpoche and not mandatory) per day also. During the week everyone could attend one 1 h (?) Q/A in a smaller group with Rinpoche (like if there's 150 people at the retreat, the smaller group would be about 30-40 people).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Pero wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:16 am I have not been to the US but I've been to 3 of his German ones. I can also say that his teachings influenced my practice a lot. So I think it's definitely worth it to go to one of his retreats. Since you haven't been to any of his retreats before you will first have to go to the one open to all. The retreats are silent, meaning that outside of asking a question during Q/A, or something that absolutely needs talking, you keep quiet. I don't know about the US but in Germany teachings were twice a day (except on first and last day) and we had three group practice sessions (without Rinpoche and not mandatory) per day also. During the week everyone could attend one 1 h (?) Q/A in a smaller group with Rinpoche (like if there's 150 people at the retreat, the smaller group would be about 30-40 people).
Funny. In argentina he doesnt use silence. Aparently pointless with us, he use to joke with this
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

If you are already very experienced, I don't know how much large group retreats like Tsoknyi Rinpoche's will be for you. People's interests, experience, and general situations are different, but if I were you and had scarce practice time, I would carefully plan a strict individual retreat and put my all into it; I find group settings, except in the case of strict sesshins, diminish the value.
swordfishontour

Thank you so much for the replies, very helpful.

Tingzin you make a very good point about individual retreat.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Yeah good point, I haven't considered that. This is not a retreat in the sense of personal retreat. It's a kind of compromise between retreat and teachings. Personally I quite like the format since you put what you're being taught into practice immediately.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

tingdzin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:06 pm If you are already very experienced, I don't know how much large group retreats like Tsoknyi Rinpoche's will be for you. People's interests, experience, and general situations are different, but if I were you and had scarce practice time, I would carefully plan a strict individual retreat and put my all into it; I find group settings, except in the case of strict sesshins, diminish the value.
The point is to receive transmission in those retreat. Then you can practice alone
fckw

Post by fckw »

He is a nice guy with a good sense of humor. He tends to give out direct pointing out instructions during retreats (or at least did so in the past). I recall with a smile that towards the middle of the retreat whoever wanted to could formally take refuge in the three jewels. During this small "refuge ceremony" an astonishing number of things went wrong or did not work as intended.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

swordfishontour wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 pm I hope everyone is safe and well.

Could I respectfully ask has anyone any experience of being on retreat with Tsoknyi Rinpoche in the USA? There doesn't seem to be much information online other than the topic.

I have many years Dharma experience but haven't been on a retreat in more than a decade. Due to family commitments going on a weeks retreat is a big deal so I want to choose carefully.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Tsonknyi Rinpoche is a good teacher. You should go. You will not be disappointed.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Tsoknyi Rinpoche's retreats I've been to have been silent. This tends to make them far more like a personal retreat than the social event other retreats can be.
swordfishontour

Thank you so much for all your kind replies. I do hope to go on retreat with him but it obviously will not happen for some time.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

swordfishontour wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 pm Thank you so much for all your kind replies. I do hope to go on retreat with him but it obviously will not happen for some time.
He recently opened up for free his online courses. They are called fully being

Return to “Dzogchen”