Another Dzogchen/Ngondro Q...

LhakpaT

Another Dzogchen/Ngondro Q...

Post by LhakpaT »

If one is doing Ngondro in one tradition, is it still a good idea to make use of an opportunity for direct introduction with a teacher from another lineage?
Danny

Re: Another Dzogchen/Ngondro Q...

Post by Danny »

LhakpaT wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 pm If one is doing Ngondro in one tradition, is it still a good idea to make use of an opportunity for direct introduction with a teacher from another lineage?
Sure.

You can have many teachers from different schools, all can be condensed into guru yoga. No problems

Regards
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Yup definitely. Ngöndro can only help and DI can also only help. There should not be much problem. Some teachers even combine mahamudra pointing out nad dzogchen DI with the ngöndro.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

LhakpaT wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:18 pm If one is doing Ngondro in one tradition, is it still a good idea to make use of an opportunity for direct introduction with a teacher from another lineage?
Without a doubt!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

One should take every opportunity to have the nature of mind pointed out, and should practice diligently until one gets it. Because without practice it’s like writing on water
Terma

Post by Terma »

Absolutely!

This very thing has been discussed by a few of my teachers, actually. Since we never really know the causes and conditions and dharma connections we have had in the past, another teacher may often turn out to be one's root guru, which is the one who points out mind's nature. Since there is only one, should we limit ourselves?

Devotion plays a big role, so if you have devotion for the teacher, who is able to give the introduction, then perhaps the causes and conditions will come together at that time?

Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche also gave the advice of not only really cultivating renunciation and bodhicitta, but he said one should also constantly make the wish "may I recognize my mind's nature" over and over.

Good luck.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Definitely, if one has trust and devotion in that other lama. That is the absolute most important thing aside from bodhichitta, with which it's on par. Empowerment, especially Dzogchen empowerment, isn't the kind of thing one just decides one wants, that one then gets from the first lama to offer it without knowing them from Adam, and then one goes on about one's merry way and leaves that guru in the dust like they were just a delivery person.

Nothing you said implied you think like this, so it's not an accusation, only advice on the off chance you didn't know this.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sorry, I’m going to demur from the consensus...
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Nature of mind doesnt have a "school", so yes.
LhakpaT

Post by LhakpaT »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:36 pm Sorry, I’m going to demur from the consensus...
Could you elaborate?

Return to “Dzogchen”