Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

swooping

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by swooping »

Does the phowa taught in the book "Phowa Practice" require lung, or is it available to folks who have received DI?

Also, many practices have books, CDs and DVD available. Does anyone have any opinions on which is a better way to start learning the process?
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
florin

Post by florin »

swooping wrote:
Also, many practices have books, CDs and DVD available. Does anyone have any opinions on which is a better way to start learning the process?
Find out what practices interests you the most and buy the books and cds for that and concentrate on learning them .

If you are interested in dzogchen start with the lojongs semdzins and rushans.
swooping

Post by swooping »

alpha wrote:
swooping wrote:
Find out what practices interests you the most and buy the books and cds for that and concentrate on learning them .

Thanks you.
I am currently working on the lojongs, rushen and semdzins and they are my main practice, in addition to guru yoga.

Possibly because of the written nature I am not clear on the first part of your response.
I'm not sure if you're recommending that I only focus on learning one thing at a time (which I agree with and plan on doing), if you're saying that CD's and Book combination are the best for learning a specific practice (those were the two you mentioned) or if you're saying that it's important to get all of the related media (i.e.. book, CD AND DVD if available) and do that.

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sure I fully understand your post.
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.

- Ben Hecht
swooping

Post by swooping »

Don't know how to edit the above, but in stepping back I'd like to say thanks again for mention of picking one thing and of focusing on the lodging, rushen and semdzin.
Thinking about it now, I really don't need to learn any more practices (although if anyone knows about phowa and needing lung I would appreciate it), just need to keeping doing what I'm doing.

- Ben Hecht
heart

Post by heart »

swooping wrote:Don't know how to edit the above, but in stepping back I'd like to say thanks again for mention of picking one thing and of focusing on the lodging, rushen and semdzin.
Thinking about it now, I really don't need to learn any more practices (although if anyone knows about phowa and needing lung I would appreciate it), just need to keeping doing what I'm doing.
You need "lung" to do the powa.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
swooping

Post by swooping »

Thank you. :-)

- Ben Hecht
jay

Post by jay »

Simhamukha Practice:

Rimpoche says that for sending away negativities we should only do the action mantra reversed 3 times- does he mean each time we do a session of simhamuka practice?
heart

Post by heart »

jay wrote:Simhamukha Practice:

Rimpoche says that for sending away negativities we should only do the action mantra reversed 3 times- does he mean each time we do a session of simhamuka practice?
Yes.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

jay wrote:Simhamukha Practice:

You don't have to do reversal each time, you only do that when you need to. The idea of the 3 times concerns not overdoing it, when you use the reversal, so in other words Rinpoche says the reversal is very powerful so 3 times is sufficient.
krodha

Re: xiaozhengm

Post by krodha »

amanitamusc wrote:Great example of ignorance.
Could be some sort of spam bot. Just be sure not to click the links.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Yes, it was spam. Please don't re=post this sort of thing if it happens again, folks. It just adds to the clean-up problem.

:thanks:
Kim
swooping

Post by swooping »

My dzogchen community friends,

Is it generally recommended, when doing the rushen, to follow the Precious vase numbers even if one has no plan to do SMS certification?

If so, do you 700,000 purifications of the loka before moving on to the rest?

Also, since I can't take a three day retreat, would I do rushen of the body a total of 48 hours to make up three days in retreat?

- Ben Hecht
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I take it you did not take the online SMS Base course recommended earlier, which explains all of this?
swooping wrote:My dzogchen community friends,

Is it generally recommended, when doing the rushen, to follow the Precious vase numbers even if one has no plan to do SMS certification?

If so, do you 700,000 purifications of the loka before moving on to the rest?

Also, since I can't take a three day retreat, would I do rushen of the body a total of 48 hours to make up three days in retreat?
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
swooping

Post by swooping »

Matt J wrote:I take it you did not take the online SMS Base course recommended earlier, which explains all of this?
No I didn't. I have the MP3 teachings on the 7 lojong and have been focusing on that. I really liked the look of the SMS Base course but I didn't sign up immediately and, apparently, it slipped my mind.

Now I know where to look (I think I can still sign up and listen to the MP3 of what I missed).
Thank you.

- Ben Hecht
Tigersnest

Post by Tigersnest »

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Sangha of Dzogchen community in Norway??
Thanks
shanehanner

Post by shanehanner »

florin wrote:
swooping wrote:

Do you recommend any books or videos specifically for the lojongs semdzins and rushans?
florin

Post by florin »

"Precious vase" is very good for this.
On a more extensive list of semdzins have a look at "the 21 semdzin of dzogchen upadesha"
Also there are other booklets on specific ngondros related to longsal but cant remember how they are called..
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Why not trying this one:
"Teachings on Lojongs, Rushens and Semdzins" by ChNN

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=284
Lost In Transmission
shanehanner

Post by shanehanner »

lelopa wrote:Why not trying this one:

I have watched a video and listened to some of the webcast recordings in the member area, both of which went over various semdzins but have not received these teachings live from him...Is it okay to order this text then?

Thank you to all of of you for the recommendations :smile:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

shanehanner wrote:
lelopa wrote:Why not trying this one:

I have watched a video and listened to some of the webcast recordings in the member area, both of which went over various semdzins but have not received these teachings live from him...Is it okay to order this text then?

Thank you to all of of you for the recommendations :smile:
Yes, if you received transmission from CHNN and you are a member of DC. Whenever anybody is in doubt about ordering they can use the contact page here:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... contact_us

Return to “Dzogchen”