Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

oldbob

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oldbob » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Igor is starting now!! Great connection in NJ USA.

Hansei

Post by Hansei » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm

florin wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:30 am
Hansei wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:14 pm
Is there any good and reliable explanation on the Internet about how to do it that way?

There is an interesting Vajrasattva Mind Terma by Jigme Puntsok Rinpoche that can be practised without an empowerment.
This is the subject of a book by a senior teacher of Larung Gar Khenpo Yeshe Puntsok and is very beautifully ilustrated with lots and lots of details of how to visualise and practice the sadhana.

https://www.wisdompubs.org/book/vajrasattva-meditation
Thanks Florin, I'll try to find it :)

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Is there any video material that someone could facilitate me for correcetly learning the mudras used in thun and ganapuja? I have the thun colored book and the description in the books but i dont want to mess up

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

TaTa wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 pm
Is there any video material that someone could facilitate me for correcetly learning the mudras used in thun and ganapuja? I have the thun colored book and the description in the books but i dont want to mess up
I think you can see most of the mudras in the Mandarava mudra demonstration video on the retreat resources section of the webcast website (many mudras are the same). I don't remember if it is in the members only section or not though.

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm
TaTa wrote:
I think you can see most of the mudras in the Mandarava mudra demonstration video on the retreat resources section of the webcast website (many mudras are the same). I don't remember if it is in the members only section or not though.
Unfortunatly for me it is. I cannot afford to became a member at this moment (long time aspiration :crying: )

If it is apropiate maybe someone can send it to me? I dont know the policy on this

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:03 pm

TaTa wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm
Aryjna wrote:
TaTa wrote:
Unfortunatly for me it is. I cannot afford to became a member at this moment (long time aspiration :crying: )

If it is apropiate maybe someone can send it to me? I dont know the policy on this
I don't think you can download the videos, they are embedded on the website. Maybe it is possible with an addon or something like that. It's ok to send the video if someone is able to download it I think. I doubt that there is any detailed explanation of the mudras in the video downloads on the shangshung website. At least a Ganapuja teachings video download that I have does not include a demonstration.

khemmis

Post by khemmis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am

Aryjna wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:03 pm
TaTa wrote:
Aryjna wrote:

I don't think you can download the videos, they are embedded on the website. Maybe it is possible with an addon or something like that.
It is possible to download them with the addon - I tried it before. But to share them...? TaTa If you can get some kind of permission from SSI I can download and send you the files. But sadly, the videos are of subpar quality (240p) and even with them learning mudras can be a little tricky - at least for me that's the case. BTW. I do not know if you have this one but mudras are also described in Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja along with simple graphics (Appendix 5).

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am

khemmis wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am
Aryjna wrote:
TaTa wrote:

I don't think you can download the videos, they are embedded on the website. Maybe it is possible with an addon or something like that.
It is possible to download them with the addon - I tried it before. But to share them...? TaTa If you can get some kind of permission from SSI I can download and send you the files. But sadly, the videos are of subpar quality (240p) and even with them learning mudras can be a little tricky - at least for me that's the case. BTW. I do not know if you have this one but mudras are also described in Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja along with simple graphics (Appendix 5).
They are intended for those who have the transmission so it should be ok to share them with someone who needs them for practice. It is not a bad idea to email someone and ask though.

The descriptions in the Teachings on Tun and Ganapuja are useful but I think they don't completely cover the mudras. I learned them from there initially, but they don't really give the complete picture. Then again they are probably good enough.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am

Aryjna wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am
khemmis wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am
Aryjna wrote:

They are intended for those who have the transmission so it should be ok to share them with someone who needs them for practice. It is not a bad idea to email someone and ask though.

The descriptions in the Teachings on Tun and Ganapuja are useful but I think they don't completely cover the mudras. I learned them from there initially, but they don't really give the complete picture. Then again they are probably good enough.
When I first received transmission and was not yet a member I contacted them through the website and some one was kind enough to schedule a skype session with my to go over the proper way of doing the mudras. Maybe an avenue to pursue. Also the mudras are very easy to see in Rinpoche's various teaching videos which are available as dvd or mp4.

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm

It seems that sometimes chöd can be performed for non-practitioners in order to benefit them. Is there a protocol for doing this with the chöd practice Rinpoche has taught us, or is the understanding that we should only do it in the presence of those who have received transmission?

I am partially asking on behalf of family members who are not students of this lineage but for whom I feel a sense of loving concern.
Neither person nor skandhas
but stainless wisdom is Buddha.
In knowing ever serene—
I take refuge therein.

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 am

Spelare wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm
It seems that sometimes chöd can be performed for non-practitioners in order to benefit them. Is there a protocol for doing this with the chöd practice Rinpoche has taught us, or is the understanding that we should only do it in the presence of those who have received transmission?

I am partially asking on behalf of family members who are not students of this lineage but for whom I feel a sense of loving concern.
You can practice chod for anyone who needs it.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am

Josef wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 am
Spelare wrote:

I've heard from Lama Allione that one must have permission to do so from the person you wish to perform it on. I've not seen any specific textual instructions for doing so, however. Maybe something to ask senior students or if any one here has a reference to a talk or book that deals with this specifically, please PM if it contains too many details!

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm

mechashivaz wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am
Josef wrote:
Spelare wrote:

I've heard from Lama Allione that one must have permission to do so from the person you wish to perform it on. I've not seen any specific textual instructions for doing so, however. Maybe something to ask senior students or if any one here has a reference to a talk or book that deals with this specifically, please PM if it contains too many details!
That seems like odd criteria since chod is performed for everyone anyway.
Kye ma!
Beautiful and repulsive.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Josef wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm
mechashivaz wrote:
Josef wrote:

I think Spelare means do it in front of them while they are watching.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Josef wrote:
mechashivaz wrote:
Josef wrote:

It is interesting. I too thought it was generally so. I am aware of guests with whom we have a relationship through karmic debt, and those in general (out of compassion) in the six lokas, but not of performing it for a specific person unless they are present physically as a guest for the Lujin.
I can't find a reference to performing it for an individual in ChNN's Chod book but may have missed it.
However, I seem to recall a website where such services were being sold ('donations' I guess) to people.
Last edited by Mantrik on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:12 pm
Josef wrote:
mechashivaz wrote:

I think Spelare means do it in front of them while they are watching.
In that case you should absolutely have their permission. That should be quite obvious.
Kye ma!
Beautiful and repulsive.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Josef wrote:
mechashivaz wrote:
Josef wrote:

I'm speaking of doing the chod on behalf of some one, ie, after transformation and what occurs after... Generally this kind of thing would be done with the person in front of the chodpa. Lama Tsultrim has a few interesting stories in her books about it being done but never indepth on the "how to" side.

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm

mechashivaz wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm
Josef wrote:
mechashivaz wrote:

I'm speaking of doing the chod on behalf of some one, ie, after transformation and what occurs after... Generally this kind of thing would be done with the person in front of the chodpa. Lama Tsultrim has a few interesting stories in her books about it being done but never indepth on the "how to" side.
In that case you definitely need their consent or request. I have done chod in similar circumstances as this for people but it has been explicitly at their request. We arent Mormons.
Kye ma!
Beautiful and repulsive.

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 am

Is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06857.html product suppoused to come with the mp3 of 21 praises?

TaTa

Post by TaTa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:52 am

TaTa wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 am
Is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06857.html product suppoused to come with the mp3 of 21 praises?
And is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06918.html suppoused to come also with the mp3 of the practice? ( i only received the action mantras)

Return to “Dzogchen”