Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

jet.urgyen

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by jet.urgyen »

TaTa wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:52 am
TaTa wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 am Is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06857.html product suppoused to come with the mp3 of 21 praises?
And is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06918.html suppoused to come also with the mp3 of the practice? ( i only received the action mantras)
yes, yes. it say's so.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Leif

Post by Leif »

TaTa wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:52 am
TaTa wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 am Is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06857.html product suppoused to come with the mp3 of 21 praises?
And is this https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 06918.html suppoused to come also with the mp3 of the practice? ( i only received the action mantras)
For the first one, there is a GuruAryaTaraPraises folder inside of the archive, that contains mp3 of 21 praises.

Dark Garuda doesn't contain mp3 of the practice, practice is only described in pdf. The cover for cd/mp3 says "pronunciation of the action mantras" and store description "the book is accompanied by an MP3 recording of the sounds of these mantras".
Moha

Post by Moha »

Could I please ask for some assistance (via DM) with instructions/details on how to perform some of mudras in the DC practices? I have most of them down but a few are somewhat tricky and I reckon I'm probably not doing them right. :emb:

Any help is truly appreciated. Apologies for being a nuisance.
:anjali:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

that's really hard without having someone teaching them to you... but there is a good course about it. still, if I were you would try to learn them from an instructor. till that becomes possible, don't stress too much.

ps way too polite. nobody will think of you as a nuisance because of this question. don't be so "shy".
Moha

Post by Moha »

Dechen Norbu wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 am that's really hard without having someone teaching them to you... but there is a good course about it. still, if I were you would try to learn them from an instructor.
Thanks. There's no active DC centres where I live, so I have to depend on webcasts and stuff. Just thought I'd try here. I'll keep looking.
Dechen Norbu wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 am till that becomes possible, don't stress too much.
Don't stress as in don't worry about not performing the mudras perfectly?
Dechen Norbu wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:39 am ps way too polite. nobody will think of you as a nuisance because of this question. don't be so "shy".
Just trying to be nice. I'll keep that in mind.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am Don't stress as in don't worry about not performing the mudras perfectly?
Don't stress as in that mudras are ultimately not that important. They are a part of that practice and if you know how to do them the practice can maybe have a bit more effect, but most important is your mind. If you do mudras perfectly and also mantras but your mind is somewhere else. Then what is the benefit?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Moha

Post by Moha »

Miroku wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:54 am
Ignorant_Fool wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 am Don't stress as in don't worry about not performing the mudras perfectly?
If you do mudras perfectly and also mantras but your mind is somewhere else. Then what is the benefit?
This makes total sense to me now. Sometimes I need someone to point out the obvious to my me.
:anjali:
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Is there any word as to how the master is?

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

In the Sodogpa Lodro Gyaltsen book, Rinpoche refers to "the invocation by the master Longchenpa from the old Long Thun: NAMKHAI NASSU etc."

Can anyone direct me to an english translation and transliteration of the Tibetan for Longchenpa's refuge prayer referenced above? I haven't been able to find it yet. Is this a text in widespread use?
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

In The Precious Vase, 2.8.6 where certain empowerments are mentioned, it doesn't seem very clear which ones may qualify. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7998#p95558 In this thread one of the options is mentioned, but it seems this is not the only one (footnote 174, page 175). Does anyone know more about empowerments that fall in that category?
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

There are some practices in which we use a vajra bell or other instruments, and other practices in which we do not use such instruments. What is the principle that determines whether or not it could be appropriate to integrate instruments in a given practice?
I go for refuge therein.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

That framing is rather general, and I'm still interested in the broader question, but let me give a more specific context:

Why do we use a bell when we do the guruyoga of Padmasambhava, but not when we do the guruyoga of Garab Dorje? We can do the guruyoga of Padmasambhava without a bell, e.g. if we don't have one handy. Now, could we do the guruyoga of Garab Dorje with a bell?
I go for refuge therein.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

:smile: webcast replay is up.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Spelare wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm There are some practices in which we use a vajra bell or other instruments, and other practices in which we do not use such instruments. What is the principle that determines whether or not it could be appropriate to integrate instruments in a given practice?
transmission (?)

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Spelare wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm There are some practices in which we use a vajra bell or other instruments, and other practices in which we do not use such instruments. What is the principle that determines whether or not it could be appropriate to integrate instruments in a given practice?
In a vague and simple sense the instruments are often associated with offerings and communication etc.
That is why they are included at certain places in sadhanas and not present in other practices.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Kris

Post by Kris »

A less formal way I include them is in aspiration and dedication prayers. Not sure if it's traditional or not but I enjoy it.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Does it help to receive an empowerment for a deity if it is from a different terma/lineage to the DC practice you want to do? Or does it make no real difference to the practice? I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Aryjna wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 pm Does it help to receive an empowerment for a deity if it is from a different terma/lineage to the DC practice you want to do? Or does it make no real difference to the practice? I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere.
i think if you have the empowerment, the better. idc is non-sectarian anyway.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

Aryjna wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 pm Does it help to receive an empowerment for a deity if it is from a different terma/lineage to the DC practice you want to do? Or does it make no real difference to the practice? I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere.
What do you mean "help"? If you have the right tool in front of you why get up to get a different tool that accomplishes the same thing?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I have teachers in, and a bunch of initiations in the Sakya Lineage prior to starting to follow Rinpoche. I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't leave that stuff behind, I still maintain that connection, maintain what few commitments I made, and will always go see HHST and other prominent teachers if they are coming somewhere near and it's possible, IMO it would be kind of crazy not to. So basically, the reason to do initiations is IMO connection to teachers and lineages. I think if you went to an HYT empowerment that had serious commitments, it might interfere with Dzogchen practice, but if you have a real connection with a teacher etc., I don't think it really matters whether or not it's "officially" connected to your DC practice, it will be done from that view regardless....you don't need to mix and match, it's all precious as is... YMMV.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Dzogchen”