Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Aryjna

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Aryjna » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

LoveFromColorado wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 am
Hi all, I hope this is the right thread to pose this question.

As I have mentioned in a few posts, I am relatively new to the study of Dzogchen and have been trying to look into various teachers, etc. That said, I am very interested in participating in ChNN's next worldwide transmission to receive a direct introduction if possible. However, I am having a heck of a time nailing down information in this regard.

For example, I just tried to email secretary@tsegyalgar.org as per the TE website which requests an email if you plan to attend the next webcast. However, it kicked back to me as undeliverable. I now can't even find the page on the TE website that listed the email, and I find most of the community websites difficult to navigate and populated with outdated information.

Please note that this is not a criticism at all but simply reflects an ongoing struggle I have had plugging into this community. Nevertheless, I can recognize its value and am determined :)

All that said, would someone have any recommendations in terms of next steps for a person such as myself who has done some self-study (I've read The Crystal and the Way of Light among a few other writings by ChNN and even his book on Guruyoga after receiving permission) and who is interested in connecting in a deeper way? Would a membership be the next step? If so, should there be anything I should know? I read somewhere about a Welcome Pass membership and that ChNN recommends three years of introductory participation before trying to take courses, etc., but I'm honestly so turned around just trying to figure out where to start here that I feel like I don't know up from down. Likely my confusion is simply a result of the structure of the online resources in this regard but it could also just be me. I've been at this for a few months now and am still at square one in terms of how to get started.

Again, not a criticism - I'm just starting to feel like throwing up my hands here and figured it would be better to simply ask instead. I've circled around this question a few times but have not really had a direct answer so thought maybe I would try again - perhaps I have not been direct enough :)

Thank you!!
I've never heard of waiting 3 years for courses, there aren't really courses in the usual sense as far as I know. If you email large gars it is likely you will not receive a reply. I think the only thing to do is make aspirations to be able to receive the transmission. After that you can practice and study a lot of the restricted material. If you want to ask something that is not region specific, you could email different gars/lings around the world.

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks Russell, I am indeed in Colorado and I appreciate the links!

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm
I've never heard of waiting 3 years for courses, there aren't really courses in the usual sense as far as I know. If you email large gars it is likely you will not receive a reply. I think the only thing to do is make aspirations to be able to receive the transmission. After that you can practice and study a lot of the restricted material. If you want to ask something that is not region specific, you could email different gars/lings around the world.
Here is the link describing the 3 year period among other things:

http://melong.com/the-welcome-card/

Again, so much information circulating around that it is difficult to pin down exactly where to start or even what is accurate.

Hopefully contacting the Colorado group will help clear things up for me.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 pm

LoveFromColorado wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm
Aryjna wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm
Here is the link describing the 3 year period among other things:

http://melong.com/the-welcome-card/

Again, so much information circulating around that it is difficult to pin down exactly where to start or even what is accurate.

Hopefully contacting the Colorado group will help clear things up for me.
I hadn't heard of this but it doesn't sound like it really makes much difference if you are not interested in immediately voting for gakhyil memners or giving the SMS base, which is impossible for someone who just joined anyway.

When I was in your position, I just prepared as well as I could with the unrestricted material and then waited for the opportunity to receive the transmission. I don't think therr really is anything else to do without the transmission.

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I just prepared as well as I could with the unrestricted material and then waited for the opportunity to receive the transmission.

Thanks Aryjna, I appreciate the input! That is definitely my current path as of now :)

I'm not even sure what SMS is as someone new - the link just describes what appears to be a three year waiting period to become a member of the community although some limited access is apparently available.

florin

Post by florin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:42 pm

LoveFromColorado wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm not even sure what SMS is as someone new - the link just describes what appears to be a three year waiting period to become a member of the community although some limited access is apparently available.
SMS is a course of study and practice in nine levels:
https://www.dzamlinggar.net/en/dzogchen ... aha-sangha

Pietrepa

Post by Pietrepa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Due to Rinpoche's health situation now SMS Base level courses and teachings have become available to people who haven't received direct introduction throgh WWT. Now the only condition to participate in these is one's own interest and commitment to take direct intoduction in future when it will be again possible...

Pietrepa

Post by Pietrepa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:48 pm

People with strong karmic connection who study and pracitce Precious Vase seriously could have always resort to writing a letter of appeal asking for special permission to take SMS Base level exam before concluding 3 year welcome card...

LolCat

Post by LolCat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 pm

When and where are the SMS courses usually held in the United States?
If they are held elsewhere, are they webcast?

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Ditto, now that I understand what SMS is I am interested in looking into these courses. If anyone can direct me to a first step in this direction then I would appreciate it!

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:51 pm

I am very new to Dzogchen myself, less than two years. I am not qualified to give authoritative replies to your issues, but I can share my personal experience.

The next WWT, Anniversary of Adzom Drugpa, will be on November 2 at 8am (EST). Depending on Rinpoche’s health it may or may not include Direct Introduction. At that time you will be able to go to https://webcast.dzogchen.net/ and click on the “Live Stream & Mobile Stream” link at the top of the page to attend. The Guruyoga book is an excellent preparation for the WWTs.

There is no need to rush into the SMS Base Exam; there’s a lot to learn. SMS stands for Santi Maha Sangha, which means Great Perfection Community (Dzogchen Community). The book Precious Vase contains the essential study materials and practices for engaging in Dzogchen (and taking the SMS Base Exam). If you don’t find something closer with the links Russell provided, you could try contacting bluegakyil@tsegyalgar.org at Tsegyalgar East in Massachusetts. They are currently conducting an online study group working through the Precious Vase. No instructors, just peer support. It meets from 8pm to 9:30pm (EST) on the 1st and 3rd Mondays. (We’re starting chapter 4 now.) Someone else here (or the TE Blue Gakyil) can tell you whether that text is restricted for you in this case or not.

Membership in the IDC is not required, so it can wait while you test the waters. However, supporting the community becomes more imperative as you grow with it. Nevertheless, it’s well understood than not everyone who feels called to the community can afford to be a paying member.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 pm

It sounds strange to start SMS without the transmission. I agree that it may be better to wait, I generally prefer to err on the side of caution.

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 pm

LoveFromColorado wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm
Ditto, now that I understand what SMS is I am interested in looking into these courses. If anyone can direct me to a first step in this direction then I would appreciate it!
I would say there's no harm whatsoever in getting a head start on the SMS curriculum. If you consider the actual contents of the Precious Vase, the entire first half or so is entitled "Preparing Oneself for the Base of Santi Maha Sangha"; this covers the stuff that all Mahāyāna practitioners should know, even those practicing at the Sutra level. Such material is commonly taught outside the context of transmission, and will help prepare you to receive introduction from Rinpoche or any Tibetan lama who is authorized to give it.

Even Chapter 5's exposition of the Nine Yānas covers mainly material that is publicly available, e.g. in Dudjom Rinpoche's Big Red Book (The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism). Just read up to there and hold off on everything from Chapter 6 on. The preceding chapters will give you plenty to sink your teeth into while awaiting transmission:

1) Four Awarenesses that Change One's Mental Attitude (Precious Human Body, Impermanence, Karma, and Samsara)
2) Seven Lojongs (i.e. Seven-Point Mind Training. #7 won't make sense until you've taken some Yantra Yoga; don't worry about that just yet)
3) Four Immeasurables (Equanimity, Loving Kindness, Compassion, Joy)
4) Six Paramitas (Generosity, Morality, Patience, Perseverance, Meditative Stability, Discriminating Wisdom)
5) Three Secondary Practices for the Samten
6) Two Absences of a Dependent Entity

Take your time with these practices and don't rush; they are foundational in all the major schools of Tibetan Buddhism. For each one, the book gives a recommended number of days to focus on integrating that practice.

Aside from this, there's so much useful background information in the book on topics like karma, refuge, bodhicitta, and how to identify a qualified teacher. The sort of information I wish I'd known before receiving transmission instead of having to play catch-up afterwards. I say go for it!
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks Spelare! I have completed about half of FPMT's Discovering Buddhism (I think that is their lamrim program) and it looks like some overlap. That said, I would like to look into this for sure. I appreciate the info!

Spelare

Post by Spelare » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 am

LoveFromColorado wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 am
Thanks Spelare! I have completed about half of FPMT's Discovering Buddhism (I think that is their lamrim program) and it looks like some overlap. That said, I would like to look into this for sure. I appreciate the info!
Then it sounds like you definitely have a good basis to get started! You may be interested to see the subtle differences in how these Mahāyāna practices are presented from a Nyingma perspective as opposed to a Gelug perspective. The Precious Vase is replete with quotations from great masters like Rongzompa, Longchenpa, Jigme Lingpa, and Adzom Drugpa. Otherwise, there are several excellent books available publicly to work with until you are able to receive the direct introduction.

If you want more detail about how the Nyingma school presents mind training, Jigme Lingpa's Steps to the Great Perfection might be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1559394544/

You may already have watched this introductory talk by Rinpoche. If not, it's well worth it. Some of the material will be review of material already presented in Crystal, but it's good to see and hear Rinpoche in order to establish some connection with him:

https://youtu.be/j9Vr_iPEviQ

I also highly recommend John Myrdhin Reynolds' The Golden Letters so that you can become acquainted with the historical context and lineage of Dzogchen. Additionally, it presents seminal teachings on the Three Words of Garab Dorje, which is foundational to Dzogchen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1559390506/

Rinpoche's The Mirror is a concise, pithy exposition of Dzogchen View, Meditation, and Conduct that makes it relevant to one's daily life and activities. It's quite hard to find a physical copy anymore, so go for digital. If you don't have a device that can read ePub or Mobi format, it's easy enough to convert into pdf format:

https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 08042.html

Finally, there's Rinpoche's Cycle of Day and Night. This publicly available text is an excellent place to get started. And once you receive transmission, you'll have access to an oral commentary on the same teachings that will enable you to go deeper into the practice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0882680404/

All the best for your practice!
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 pm

From Chogyal Namkhai Norbu facebook page:

"Il Presidente della Repubblica Sergio Mattarella ha conferito una importante onorificenza al prof. Namkhai Norbu su proposta della Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri: Commendatore dell'Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana.

Il Presidente della Repubblica Italiana è, infatti, il capo dell’Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana, il più alto degli ordini della Repubblica, nato con lo scopo di «ricompensare benemerenze acquisite verso la Nazione nel campo delle lettere, delle arti, dell'economia e nell'impegno di pubbliche cariche e di attività svolte a fini sociali, filantropici e umanitari, nonché per lunghi e segnalati servizi nelle carriere civili e militari».
Secondo il regolamento a nessuno può essere conferita, per la prima volta, un’onorificenza di grado superiore a quella di Cavaliere, fanno eccezioni alcune situazioni particolari. Al Professore e Maestro Namkhai Norbu è stato riconosciuta la eccezionalità dell’impegno e del contributo alla società tutta, e gli è stato conferito direttamente il titolo di Commendatore". La Comunità Dzogchen di Merigar

" the president of the Republic Sergio Mattarella gave an important honor to Prof. Namkhai Norbu on a proposal from the presidency of the council of ministers: Commander of the order of merit of the Italian Republic.

The President of the Italian Republic is, in fact, the head of the order of merit of the Italian Republic, the highest of orders of the Republic, born with the aim of ' rewarding merits acquired to the nation in the field of letters, Arts, economics and In the commitment of public posts and activities carried out for social, philanthropic and humanitarian purposes, and for long and reported services in civil and military careers ".
According to the rules of procedure no one can be awarded, for the first time, an award of rank higher than that of knight, exceptions to certain particular situations. To Professor and master namkhai norbu has been recognized as an exceptional commitment and contribution to society all, and he was given directly the title of commander ". the community community of merigar

http://melong.com/prof-namkhai-norbu-co ... -republic/

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:39 am

mechashivaz wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 pm
From Chogyal Namkhai Norbu facebook page:

"Il Presidente della Repubblica Sergio Mattarella ha conferito una importante onorificenza al prof. Namkhai Norbu su proposta della Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri: Commendatore dell'Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana.

Il Presidente della Repubblica Italiana è, infatti, il capo dell’Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana, il più alto degli ordini della Repubblica, nato con lo scopo di «ricompensare benemerenze acquisite verso la Nazione nel campo delle lettere, delle arti, dell'economia e nell'impegno di pubbliche cariche e di attività svolte a fini sociali, filantropici e umanitari, nonché per lunghi e segnalati servizi nelle carriere civili e militari».
Secondo il regolamento a nessuno può essere conferita, per la prima volta, un’onorificenza di grado superiore a quella di Cavaliere, fanno eccezioni alcune situazioni particolari. Al Professore e Maestro Namkhai Norbu è stato riconosciuta la eccezionalità dell’impegno e del contributo alla società tutta, e gli è stato conferito direttamente il titolo di Commendatore". La Comunità Dzogchen di Merigar

" the president of the Republic Sergio Mattarella gave an important honor to Prof. Namkhai Norbu on a proposal from the presidency of the council of ministers: Commander of the order of merit of the Italian Republic.

The President of the Italian Republic is, in fact, the head of the order of merit of the Italian Republic, the highest of orders of the Republic, born with the aim of ' rewarding merits acquired to the nation in the field of letters, Arts, economics and In the commitment of public posts and activities carried out for social, philanthropic and humanitarian purposes, and for long and reported services in civil and military careers ".
According to the rules of procedure no one can be awarded, for the first time, an award of rank higher than that of knight, exceptions to certain particular situations. To Professor and master namkhai norbu has been recognized as an exceptional commitment and contribution to society all, and he was given directly the title of commander ". the community community of merigar

http://melong.com/prof-namkhai-norbu-co ... -republic/
:applause:

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:11 pm

This was posted under the award article.I hope Rinpoche is at ease.

“Due to these recent events, we deeply apologize to all people who have worked unceasingly to organize public events abroad that Rinpoche will not be able to attend until His doctor will deem Him stable and fit to travel.”

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:27 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:11 pm

“Due to these recent events, we deeply apologize to all people who have worked unceasingly to organize public events abroad that Rinpoche will not be able to attend until His doctor will deem Him stable and fit to travel.”
This message is a pinned message that has been there for quite some time now.

The most recent news is that Rinpoche traveled to Merigar from Dzamling Gar, and everything went well. Of course I have no idea what the schedule is for the upcoming months. Hopefully Rinpoche will continue to recuperate and improve his health.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:27 pm
amanitamusc wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:11 pm

This message is a pinned message that has been there for quite some time now.

The most recent news is that Rinpoche traveled to Merigar from Dzamling Gar, and everything went well. Of course I have no idea what the schedule is for the upcoming months. Hopefully Rinpoche will continue to recuperate and improve his health.
Thank you.I was not aware that it was a pinned message.
This is also my hope for Rinpoche.

Return to “Dzogchen”