Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Dorje Shedrub

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Norbunet wrote:
fish_image_square.jpg
fish_image_square.jpg (78.09 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Vesak Day Fish Release!
In Tibetan this practice is known as 'tshe thar', life release. Save the lives of fish awaiting slaughter:

In Tibetan this practice is known as 'tshe thar', life release. Here you can buy fish in Nepal. They will be released into environments where they will be able to live undisturbed, such as natural sanctuaries where fishing is prohibited. The fish will be blessed with mantras and given myong grol (liberation through tasting), precious substances that give the animals a good cause for higher future rebirth.

It is customary to save a number of animals equal to your age. So for example a 25 year old would save 25 fish.However, you can choose to save any number of animals that you want. Since a human being can commit no greater transgression than taking the life of another living being, by implication, there is no greater source of accumulating merit than saving life.

NOTE: It is especially beneficial to save fish if the astrological aspect relating to one's life force or 'sog' is negative in the current year. This depends on your year of birth.

As advised in the astrological system devised by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche and found in the Merigar Diary, in this current year those who are particularly advised to save lives are those people born in the following years (beware that the Tibetan lunar year usually starts in February or March so you must check exactly in which year his birth is considered to have taken place in):

2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001, 1993, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1981, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1969, 1968, 1966, 1965, 1957, 1956, 1954, 1953, 1945, 1944, 1942, 1941, 1933, 1932, 1930, 1929, 1921, 1920.

By buying fish you are saving their lives and also contributing to the activities of Shang Shung institute UK and of the sangha of H.E Chatral Rinpoche. Thank you for your participation!

Purchase Details:
Card (via Paypal)
Fish: £3.00 per fish
(orders must be received by 15th May)

More information:
http://www.shangshunguk.org/vesak-fish-release/
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

DechenDave

Post by DechenDave » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Does anyone know if the commentaries to Cycle of Day and Night in these two volumes are different? If so, has anyone here read both? Very different?

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=250

https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Day-Night- ... way&sr=8-1

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Nothing radically different but there are some nice tidbits that are different in each one. I recommend them both.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

DechenDave

Post by DechenDave » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 am

Fa Dao wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 pm
Nothing radically different but there are some nice tidbits that are different in each one. I recommend them both.

florin

Post by florin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

For those who haven't seen the article yet here are some interesting points made by Steven Landsberg and Costantino Albini at the latest IDC AGM .

http://melong.com/opening-talks-by-stev ... l-meeting/

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Practices for recognition at the end of Guru Yoga book

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Just a question about categorization/purpose of practices.

There are these practices at the end of the Guru Yoga book such as "recognition through sensation" "recognition through clarity" etc.

What are these practices for? Are they to be used as something like Rushens or Semdzins? How are they supposed to fit into overall practice, would one engage in them over periods of time, or simply until one is sure of recognition?
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Sennin

Re: Practices for recognition at the end of Guru Yoga book

Post by Sennin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 pm

There are these practices at the end of the Guru Yoga book such as "recognition through sensation" "recognition through clarity" etc.

What are these practices for? Are they to be used as something like Rushens or Semdzins? How are they supposed to fit into overall practice, would one engage in them over periods of time, or simply until one is sure of recognition?
They are useful to develop confidence in recognition of ones natural state. As far as I know there is an order of progression with regards to rushens as well as allotted time one is supposed to spend on them. For instance it's said Vimalamitra practiced rushens six months out of the year and this is one of the reasons for his attaiment of the wisdom light body.
Last edited by Sennin on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Sennin wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

They are useful to develop confidence in recognition of ones natural state. As far as I know there is an order of progression with regards to rushans as well as allotted time one is supposed to spend on them. For instance it's said Vimalamitra practiced rushans six months out of the year and this is one of the reasons for his attaiment of the wisdom light body.
I mean, I know how rushens is supposed to work, but how do these practices fit, are they just kind of "extra" that you use if you feel they would help your confidence in recognition of the natural state?
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm
Sennin wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

They are useful to develop confidence in recognition of ones natural state. As far as I know there is an order of progression with regards to rushans as well as allotted time one is supposed to spend on them. For instance it's said Vimalamitra practiced rushans six months out of the year and this is one of the reasons for his attaiment of the wisdom light body.
I mean, I know how rushens is supposed to work, but how do these practices fit, are they just kind of "extra" that you use if you feel they would help your confidence in recognition of the natural state?
Yes, useful to help one recognize no matter what experience occurs. So if a horrible experience is happening or a joyful experience it's so one can recognize their natural state "in" that experience.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Sennin wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm
Sennin wrote:

Yes, useful to help one recognize no matter what experience occurs. So if a horrible experience is happening or a joyful experience it's so one can recognize their natural state "in" that experience.
Hmm, ok.

-James Low

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Hmm, ok.
I'm sure you'll find the answer you're looking.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Sennin wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Hmm, ok.
Like I said, I just don't quite get where they fit into things. I guess I might as well just try them and see. They seem to serve the same purpose as Rushens.

-James Low

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 pm
Sennin wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Hmm, ok.
Like I said, I just don't quite get where they fit into things. I guess I might as well just try them and see. They seem to serve the same purpose as Rushens.
If I understand correctly they are more in the line of the 1st statement. While Rushens are helping with the second a wee bit more. Those 3 meditations were used by Rinpoche to introduce the nature of mind, they are a method of introduction. Rushen were then applies as a method of recognizing it and gaining confidence. However, even those can be used to gain certainty in what was introduced. So the lines are definetly blurry there.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sennin wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Hmm, ok.
Always the best way to discover something for oneself. :thumbsup:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Miroku wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sennin wrote:

If I understand correctly they are more in the line of the 1st statement. While Rushens are helping with the second a wee bit more. Those 3 meditations were used by Rinpoche to introduce the nature of mind, they are a method of introduction. Rushen were then applies as a method of recognizing it and gaining confidence. However, even those can be used to gain certainty in what was introduced. So the lines are definetly blurry there.
They are similar to pointing out instructions I've seen and gotten from other teachers using shamatha object, etc. It's just weird because generally introduction would (well, would have, makes me sad thinking about it) come from Rinpoche, and these seem to be a practice. So maybe you are might and these are simply a blurry line with rushens.

-James Low

laowhining

Post by laowhining » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 pm
They are similar to pointing out instructions I've seen and gotten from other teachers using shamatha object, etc. It's just weird because generally introduction would (well, would have, makes me sad thinking about it) come from Rinpoche, and these seem to be a practice. So maybe you are might and these are simply a blurry line with rushens.
My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that any of the methods used by Rinpoche to introduce us to our real state can be practiced by us on our own if we are unsure that we actually ”got it” when Rinpoche was “showing it” to us. Hence it looking like various pointing out instructions you’ve seen and received. I recall reading at some point that Song of the Vajra also has this function, but maybe don’t quote me on that.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 am

laowhining wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that any of the methods used by Rinpoche to introduce us to our real state can be practiced by us on our own if we are unsure that we actually ”got it” when Rinpoche was “showing it” to us. Hence it looking like various pointing out instructions you’ve seen and received. I recall reading at some point that Song of the Vajra also has this function, but maybe don’t quote me on that.
Thanks, this is a good explanation.

-James Low

heart

Post by heart » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
They are three ways Rinpoche used to give direct introduction. If you received them you can apply them yourself to gain certainty, this is why they are in the book.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am

What is the best resource to become familiar with using the damaru and the mudras for the medium and long tun? I mean they are in the text, but there's a lot of guesswork if that's all I use.

-James Low

Tata1

Post by Tata1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:35 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am
What is the best resource to become familiar with using the damaru and the mudras for the medium and long tun? I mean they are in the text, but there's a lot of guesswork if that's all I use.
Dont know about the damaru but the mudras you can learn by watching the ganapuja dvd, as well as the melodies. There are two dvds, be sure to buy the one that has the actual practice

Return to “Dzogchen”