Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

javier.espinoza.t

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:28 pm

khemmis wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm
Is there a way to get electronic version of Vajrapani meditation with some explanation? On Shang Shung store there is only some old physical text called "Practice of Vajrapani" and audio cd with explanation. I checked restricted materials on webcast page but there is nothing there on Vajrapani.
hi khemmis, there is no digital/electronic version of the vajrapani practice. nor there shouldn't a copy be around in the internet.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 pm

khemmis wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm
Is there a way to get electronic version of Vajrapani meditation with some explanation? On Shang Shung store there is only some old physical text called "Practice of Vajrapani" and audio cd with explanation. I checked restricted materials on webcast page but there is nothing there on Vajrapani.
Not sure what you mean. mp3 files?
The shop could make a download version of the CD I guess.
Vajrapani seemed to be a more common practice early on, and is used in the Naga Rite so maybe it will become unavailable eventually, due to lack of demand, in which case grab that CD. ;)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm

When I first studied with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche in 1990, Vajrapani was the Yidam in the thuns. Later He was replaced by guru Dragphur.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:01 pm

One can really just do the Vajrapani practice in the context of thun, in DC. Malcolm did say it was the case when I asked him that and plus like Pema said it was there at the beginning.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm
When I first studied with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche in 1990, Vajrapani was the Yidam in the thuns. Later He was replaced by guru Dragphur.
Yes, that's what I heard. Dragphur is very different in its breadth etc. What prompted the change - the Gyalpo issue?

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm

As far as I know, it was because of the much broader scope of application.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Yes, I'm a fan of the combo deities like Nyenpo Lha Sum, Takhyung etc. and it suits me, but not sure why someone who accomplishes a single deity is at a disadvantage.

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm
pemachophel wrote:
Yes, that's what I heard. Dragphur is very different in its breadth etc. What prompted the change - the Gyalpo issue?
I was under the impression that ChNN has a dream about Gyalpos being an especially big problem and that that was the primary source.
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm
pemachophel wrote:
Yes, I'm a fan of the combo deities like Nyenpo Lha Sum, Takhyung etc. and it suits me, but not sure why someone who accomplishes a single deity is at a disadvantage.
I'm thinking that if one has fully accomplished a deity then there is no disadvantage, but while still on the way certain deities may be more or less helpful. Somewhere (maybe inthe Thun book?) ChNN gives the examples of 8 different yidams that you would want to work with for each of the 8 classes (e.g. Garuda for naga afflictions, vajrakilaya for another, etc.) and explains that Guru Dragphur addresses all 8 at once (while being a little extra good at dealing with gyalpo afflictions).

khemmis

Post by khemmis » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:48 am

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 pm
Vajrapani seemed to be a more common practice early on, and is used in the Naga Rite so maybe it will become unavailable eventually, due to lack of demand, in which case grab that CD. ;)
OK. Thank you. =)

BTW. The Practice of Guru Tragphur requires some separate transmission or one can do it after receiving Thun transmission?

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:49 am

khemmis wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:48 am
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 pm
OK. Thank you. =)

BTW. The Practice of Guru Tragphur requires some separate transmission or one can do it after receiving Thun transmission?
If you have received DI and the Thun with the Dragphur mantras I think that is all you need. :)

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am

climb-up wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:46 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm
pemachophel wrote:
I was under the impression that ChNN has a dream about Gyalpos being an especially big problem and that that was the primary source.
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm
pemachophel wrote:
I'm thinking that if one has fully accomplished a deity then there is no disadvantage, but while still on the way certain deities may be more or less helpful. Somewhere (maybe inthe Thun book?) ChNN gives the examples of 8 different yidams that you would want to work with for each of the 8 classes (e.g. Garuda for naga afflictions, vajrakilaya for another, etc.) and explains that Guru Dragphur addresses all 8 at once (while being a little extra good at dealing with gyalpo afflictions).
Yes, I think he gave us a 'Swiss Army Knife' out of compassion for sure. He was always reminding us that these are Secondary Practices, and also how we should go about attaining the 'function' of the mantra and deity practice. No fancy Ngakpa ordination, just get a mantra to work! :)

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 am

pemachophel wrote:
ChNN introduced Guru Dragphur in 1992
(if I remember well)
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

khemmis

Post by khemmis » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am

Khemmis wrote: BTW. The Practice of Guru Tragphur requires some separate transmission or one can do it after receiving Thun transmission?
Mantrik wrote: If you have received DI and the Thun with the Dragphur mantras I think that is all you need. :)
So, to be sure I asked Shang Shung Publications on Facebook page and sadly according to them DI & Thun transmission is not enough. "To practice Guru Tragphur you need this particular Guru Tragphur practice lung."

For long time I have persistent skin inflammation and just learned from a doctor it might be some early form of skin cancer - I haven't done biopsy yet and this cancer is not very dangerous but better be prepared. What are the best secondary practices for such problems, apart from Guru Tragphur in Thuns? Vajra Armor?

And is it okay to prolong Guru Tragphur part of Short Thun and instead of like 21 mantras, repeat it even a hundred times? Since my potential to practice effectively is very low I think I might need more recitations.

ratna

Post by ratna » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am

khemmis wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am
So, to be sure I asked Shang Shung Publications on Facebook page and sadly according to them DI & Thun transmission is not enough. "To practice Guru Tragphur you need this particular Guru Tragphur practice lung."
The booklet includes different mantras -- one from Namchö and one from Heka Lingpa. You can choose either one to practice. The one included in the Thun is the one from Heka Lingpa. You only need a particular lung if you want to practice the other mantra.
For long time I have persistent skin inflammation and just learned from a doctor it might be some early form of skin cancer - I haven't done biopsy yet and this cancer is not very dangerous but better be prepared. What are the best secondary practices for such problems, apart from Guru Tragphur in Thuns? Vajra Armor?
Adzom Drukpa's Red Garuda transmitted by ChNN.
And is it okay to prolong Guru Tragphur part of Short Thun and instead of like 21 mantras, repeat it even a hundred times? Since my potential to practice effectively is very low I think I might need more recitations.

Of course you can do more recitations as part of the Thun. In fact, to make the mantra more effective, one should do a retreat focusing on reciting the mantra for one or a few weeks, or accumulate seven hundred thousand repetitions.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:33 pm

khemmis wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am
Khemmis wrote: BTW. The Practice of Guru Tragphur requires some separate transmission or one can do it after receiving Thun transmission?
Mantrik wrote: If you have received DI and the Thun with the Dragphur mantras I think that is all you need. :)

You see, the Guru Tragphur booklet contains 2 practices as our fellows already explained; now, each of this two practices have 1 and 2 particular mantras respectively: we use the second practice which have one mantra of general purpose and one of action purpose.

We in the Thun Book use only the mantra of action purpose from that practice, the Heka Lingpa practice, is right there in the Thun Book, and ChNN said that this is sufficient (we don't need to do the two mantras, but only the one he usually gave transmission for). So what SSI meaned is that if you want to do the booklet practices you need the booklet corresponding transmissions; the good news is that as you just noticed you can do the action mantra that we find in the thun book as much as you want.

In fact is better for you to apply GT combined with Guru Yoga, and that is what precisely is the Thun Book about. And as Ratna said, it is a good idea you perform a retreat or intensive practice on daily basis, how to do it? just practice the Short Thun for example and apply assiduously the GT action mantra, to say 1000 times, etc. as much you can keep presence. You have the transmission, and if you have the possibility, is better you do it.

ChNN said many times that if you combine this practices with western (normal) medicine, the effects on controlling illnesses are stronger.

Hope i understood well your doubt and this to be useful! Good luck!

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am

Yes, I think he gave us a 'Swiss Army Knife' out of compassion for sure. He was always reminding us that these are Secondary Practices, and also how we should go about attaining the 'function' of the mantra and deity practice. No fancy Ngakpa ordination, just get a mantra to work! :)
I need a Facebook button ... :heart:

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm

ratna wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am
Of course you can do more recitations as part of the Thun. In fact, to make the mantra more effective, one should do a retreat focusing on reciting the mantra for one or a few weeks, or accumulate seven hundred thousand repetitions.

R
Can I ask where the 700,000 number comes from?
I’m currently doing accumulation based on SMS base (not in actual retreat so, it takes a while) and the given numbers are different.
Is 700,000 based on the number of syllables?
I saw the same number given in a different practice recently, so it doubly caught my eye.

ratna

Post by ratna » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 pm

climb-up wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm
I’m currently doing accumulation based on SMS base (not in actual retreat so, it takes a while) and the given numbers are different.
I saw the same number given in a different practice recently, so it doubly caught my eye.
Heka Lingpa's text mentions that number as well as 100k times the number of syllables. However, looking at the Tibetan it seems possible to me that the 700k applies to the longer mantra and the number of syllables (12) times 100k to the shorter mantra.
On the other hand, the Precious Vase says one should do 7, 5 or at least 3 times 100k.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:01 pm

ratna wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 pm
climb-up wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm
Heka Lingpa's text mentions that number as well as 100k times the number of syllables. However, looking at the Tibetan it seems possible to me that the 700k applies to the longer mantra and the number of syllables (12) times 100k to the shorter mantra.
On the other hand, the Precious Vase says one should do 7, 5 or at least 3 times 100k.

R
Oh, you’re right! It’s been a while since I re-read the numbers. I think I decided on the minimum, since I figured that once I was done with formal accumulation I’ll just keep doing the practice forever anyways!
...but perhaps I’ll return for another 400k formally afterwards. Always seems good.

Tata1

Post by Tata1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:08 am

Is webcast working for anyone?

Return to “Dzogchen”