Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

cepheidvariable

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by cepheidvariable »

Thanks for your words of experience, OB. I always enjoy your reading your postings.

So I went ahead and just tried to purchase the books mentioned before I had gotten a response here, and it was a success. I think these texts should keep me pretty busy for a while. Do you think this (http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... 01685.html) video would be serviceable enough in getting me the proper experience of the 7th Lojong? Would it be applicable to the Semdzins as well, or would I need to get involved in Yantra Yoga?

Also I notice that there really isn't any formal mention of the word Khregs-chod in TPV. Is that not part of the Base level, or am I mistaking the forest for the trees?

I must also give thanks and gratitude towards those who gently nudged me in the direction of taking DI with Rinpoche.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

cepheidvariable wrote:Thanks for your words of experience, OB. I always enjoy your reading your postings.

So I went ahead and just tried to purchase the books mentioned before I had gotten a response here, and it was a success. I think these texts should keep me pretty busy for a while. Do you think this (http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... 01685.html) video would be serviceable enough in getting me the proper experience of the 7th Lojong? Would it be applicable to the Semdzins as well, or would I need to get involved in Yantra Yoga?

Also I notice that there really isn't any formal mention of the word Khregs-chod in TPV. Is that not part of the Base level, or am I mistaking the forest for the trees?

I must also give thanks and gratitude towards those who gently nudged me in the direction of taking DI with Rinpoche.
:namaste:

My 2 cents.
I haven't studied with Fabio, or seen the video, so I cannot comment on the video. I am sure you would get some benefit out of practicing from the video but I am not qualified to say if it would be "proper." I first learned my kumbaka from the tsa lung of HH Dudjom Rinpoche, having asked permission from him in front of the Sang Yum. So when I learned kumbaka and the Lojongs, in retreat, from ChNNR it was all very natural.

I think that it depends a little on the person as to whether it is ok to learn these from a video (with transmission / lung as required in the SSI rules for restricted teachings.) I think it is better to always have a qualified teacher to show you these things in retreat, and to be nearby, as you practice, to answer questions.

There are also a few specific important "caution" points to be aware of and I don't know if these are in the video.

There have been many courses by qualified teachers such as:

http://tsegyalgar.org/localcenters/tseg ... abreathin/

If you can learn the kumbaka and 7th Lojong in a course like this it is ideal.

The Semzins are taught separately from YY, and while these can be learned from a book, I think it wise and prudent to take a course from a qualified teacher. I first learned the Semzins in a Yeshe Lama retreat, in 1980, from V. Lama Gonpo Tsetan.

http://lamagonpotseten.blogspot.com/

So learning them again from ChNNR was very natural.

If you have the opportunity to learn Yantra Yoga from John Renshaw of London, you will have an enjoyable experience, and have a practical take-a-way that you will can use everyday. John is a jolly-old-soul and teaches so you learn everything very well. John teaches for the benefit of his students. John does not teach for fame which is why he is not very famous. John learned YY directly form ChNNR and his is the short(er) path to Yantra Yoga. If you study with John you will not be disappointed.

http://www.acupunctureherbsyoga.com/yoga/yantra-yoga/
http://www.dzogchencommunityuk.org/acti ... -yoga.html

The entire SMS can be thought of as as a path of Dzogchen Khregs-chod since it came from the mind of an enlightened Dzogchen Master. If you follow the SMS you will certainly "cut through" to reality.

:heart:
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Brunelleschi wrote:I went through with the Guru Yoga practice, so thanks ratna et al. for your help. It was a powerful, calming, and grounding experience. Overall a very positive experience.

I enjoyed Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche and I can see why he's popular. Very succinct and had a no-nonsense attitude(to the point).

Just wanted to share. Thank you. :smile:
I'd like to second this, and thank the regular DC posters here for the valuable advice I've found in this thread. I too would like to eventually sign up and become a member and thus be able to access the wealth of teachings ChNNR has so generously shared, but circumstances prohibit me from doing so for the time being. I was allowed to get the 'Guru Yoga' book in advance of the transmission last weekend, and have just ordered the digital versions of the Guru Dragphur teaching and the Thun book, so I think I have more than enough to be going on with for the moment. Plus I may have the chance to join at least one retreat with ChNNR later on this year, so all the more reason to focus on the basics I suppose.

Thanks again! :namaste:
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

oldbob wrote: If you can learn the kumbaka and 7th Lojong in a course like this it is ideal.

The Semzins are taught separately from YY, and while these can be learned from a book, I think it wise and prudent to take a course from a qualified teacher.

If you have the opportunity to learn Yantra Yoga from John Renshaw of London, you will have an enjoyable experience, and have a practical take-a-way that you will can use everyday. John is a jolly-old-soul and teaches so you learn everything very well. John teaches for the benefit of his students. John does not teach for fame which is why he is not very famous. John learned YY directly form ChNNR and his is the short(er) path to Yantra Yoga. If you study with John you will not be disappointed.

+1 for learning yantra and kumbhaka with John whre possible. He's very skilled at demonstrating both yantra and 'non-yantra' methods equally for understanding and directly feeling the anatomical and subtle mechanisms that the yantras are intended for training you with.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Vasana wrote:
oldbob wrote: If you can learn the kumbaka and 7th Lojong in a course like this it is ideal.

The Semzins are taught separately from YY, and while these can be learned from a book, I think it wise and prudent to take a course from a qualified teacher.

+1 for learning yantra and kumbhaka with John whre possible. He's very skilled at demonstrating both yantra and 'non-yantra' methods equally for understanding and directly feeling the anatomical and subtle mechanisms that the yantras are intended for training you with.
Only +1? John is REALLY special!!! +2 at least. :smile: Subtle mechanisms indeed. :cheers: Cheers to John for getting it right! Otherwise it is like doing scales for a musician. This is the difference between a Maestro and a mechanic, or teacher and Teacher. Some people like mechanics. It is a question of temperament. This is why Lord Buddha taught the 80,000 different teachings - so there would be something for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx5PGzr3i_c

Pete's passed on. What a blessing that he left us some subtle mechanisms.

zenman

Post by zenman »

In his books, especialy about phat semdzin and rushen practices, Norbu Rinpoche warns that using these might wake up some sleeping entities nearby that can cause disturbance to you that you might not be able to deal. What are such beings?
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

zenman wrote:In his books, especialy about phat semdzin and rushen practices, Norbu Rinpoche warns that using these might wake up some sleeping entities nearby that can cause disturbance to you that you might not be able to deal. What are such beings?
My 2 cents.

Don't want to hog the thread - sometimes I don't post for months - - - so other old timers - please comment too.

Could mean human neighbors who might think you are acting strangely and call the men in the white coats to take you away, or it could refer to dangerous wild animals, rattle snakes, wild boars etc., or it could refer to unseen subtle beings, Nagas (snake spirits) and Tsa, (earth spirits) etc. who might live in the place where you are practicing. So you want to use common sense when choosing a place to practice where you might disturb the status quo. Always better to not disturb anything or anybody.

It is always good to have a "Plan B," if something goes wrong.

If you are doing a group rushen (I've been in a group of up to 21) it is good to have a medical person with you to deal with medical issues, or to explain to anyone coming upon you that you are doing a group "psychodrama" or something like that under their guidance. This worked in California, I don't think it would work in Mississipi.

As to the spirits, Nagas and tsa, making an appropriate ceremony before practicing couldn't hurt. If you are lazy like me you can talk to them, explaining what you are doing, (can be without sound) make a small offering and "not to worry." This can be very quick. Like "hey little guys sorry if I disturb you." Or you can make a long Tsok offering of several hours. For offering to Nagas don't use insense made from animal products. The point is to get to "not to worry."

If you want to discover the pantheon of Tibetan spirits:

https://www.mlbd.com/BookDecription.aspx?id=4617

hard to find but perseverance furthers.

As to whether spirits actually exist - that is a discussion for another thread. So with the thought that it doesn't matter if they exist or not, if youv'e covered that base, you make an offering and move on to "not to worry" so you can parctice with confidance and get good results.

zenman

Post by zenman »

I have to study this spirit entity thing.

Is there a teaching by Rinpoche available where he teaches togyal?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

zenman wrote:I have to study this spirit entity thing.

Is there a teaching by Rinpoche available where he teaches togyal?
Nope. You can only learn that from him in person at a retreat. If you are just starting out, you won't need to worry about Thogal for a while and can concentrate on the semdzins and rushens to help you arrive at certainty about what the natural state is and then train in resting in that as Tregchod.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
zenman

Post by zenman »

Literally in person, no webcast on thogal?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

zenman wrote:Literally in person, no webcast on thogal?
Nope, and if it is, it wouldn't be a public webcast since the nature of those teachings can be very misinterpreted without proper guidance of their context and application. You need some degree of stability in Tregchod before you can think about applying them.
zenman

Post by zenman »

So.... To whom such a webcast is available? Members? Not even them? I'm trying to figure out how the system works.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

zenman wrote:So.... To whom such a webcast is available? Members? Not even them? I'm trying to figure out how the system works.
Well, a similar calibre of teachings aired over new years. It wasn't an open webcast meaning it was only available for those directly there in person and only recorded as a means of reference for those who attended.
I don't really know if they were broadcast live with a special password or not.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

zenman wrote:Literally in person, no webcast on thogal?

Correct. Never. So far. Who knows what the future will bring.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Couple of questions:

Does one need to be a signed-up member of the DC in order to attend retreats in person?

Also, is there a more detailed program of the retreats somewhere?

http://melong.com/complete-schedule/ only gives the dates and places, but I'm interested in knowing the details, specifically for the PRC-HK-Taiwan-Japan and Malaysia retreats. I hope to attend at least of these, funds permitting.

Thanks in advance. :namaste:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

humble.student wrote:Couple of questions:

Does one need to be a signed-up member of the DC in order to attend retreats in person?

Also, is there a more detailed program of the retreats somewhere?

http://melong.com/complete-schedule/ only gives the dates and places, but I'm interested in knowing the details, specifically for the PRC-HK-Taiwan-Japan and Malaysia retreats. I hope to attend at least of these, funds permitting.

Thanks in advance. :namaste:
No, you can just come and attend, although there are several retreats where this might be an exception, but to most atleast you can come without being member of DC.

And no. the details will come later on, or can be seen at webpages of the places where Rinpoche will be.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

@Miroku: Thanks. :thanks:
fgilbert2

Post by fgilbert2 »

heart wrote:
fgilbert2 wrote:
heart wrote:
Don't worry, Rinpoche gives DI in almost every teaching he does so a new opportunity will arise soon. As for your problem, are you on a mac? Safari is blocking out flash by default these days. It will work on Firefox or Google Chrome (and Safari if you unblock it).

/magnus
Actually, I was using my Kindle Fire. I'm not sure if it has problems with Flash or not. In any case, thanks for the kind words!
Freeman
So I was probably right then unless you already done this: https://fire.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ins ... e-0156999/

/magnus
Thanks for the hint! Sad to think that I might have been able to pick up the WWT on my first generation Kindle Fire. Anyway, eagerly anticipating June!
Freeman
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

practitioners have in general a fetish about toghal
i don't know why, and i don't know what is it...
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
zenman

Post by zenman »

javier.espinoza.t wrote:practitioners have in general a fetish about toghal
i don't know why, and i don't know what is it...
It's mentioned all over the place. You can not have a fetish of something you don't know what it is.

Return to “Dzogchen”