Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 am
Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am Also, and I really hate asking these questions, does receiving Longsal Rushen enable me to read Longsal teachings now?

Thanks again all
Each Longsal practice must be received individually. The only exception is if one has received the Longsal root empowerment (from Rinpoche in person, as this is never webcasted), but even then there are certain practices which one also needs to receive on top of that. So you need to receive the relevant empowerment and/or transmission for the others.
So in other words, once a Longsal Rushens book exists ( I heard it does not yet?) those who attended that Webcast can get it?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:20 am
Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am Also, and I really hate asking these questions, does receiving Longsal Rushen enable me to read Longsal teachings now?

Thanks again all
Each Longsal practice must be received individually. The only exception is if one has received the Longsal root empowerment (from Rinpoche in person, as this is never webcasted), but even then there are certain practices which one also needs to receive on top of that. So you need to receive the relevant empowerment and/or transmission for the others.
So in other words, once a Longsal Rushens book exists ( I heard it does not yet?) those who attended that Webcast can get it?
Yes, if you attended it, of course. But it is released. Check SSI store.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:36 am
Good to know, thanks!

I only find the general Longsal volumes when I search, it is contained in one of those?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Finney

Post by Finney »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:47 am

Good to know, thanks!

I only find the general Longsal volumes when I search, it is contained in one of those?
While it looks as though the text has been translated, it hasn't yet been published.

Reference: http://www.shangshungpublications.org/p ... tices.html
Note: I don't see Vol 10 on any of the SSI bookstore sites.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Finney wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:08 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:47 am
Good to know, thanks!

While it looks as though the text has been translated, it hasn't yet been published.

Reference: http://www.shangshungpublications.org/p ... tices.html
Note: I don't see Vol 10 on any of the SSI bookstore sites.
My bad, I was thinking of Longsal Commentary Vol. 3, which is different.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am I have some scribbled notes that suggest Black Manjushri was given during "27 January-3 February 2017 Longsal Rushen, Dzamling Gar. However the transmission list does not inlcude this as well some others.

Can anyone confirm that this practice was indeed transmitted during the above retreat?

Thanks again all
i remember Rinpoche did so. you can send and email to the ssi too :)
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

This is the third time, in as many days, this thread has had to be cleaned up.

I am shutting it down for 24 hours while you sort out your shit among yourselves... via PM.

Any attempt to recycle the arguments in other threads will also result in the threads being closed down.

Anybody that brings up the issue again, or responds to somebody bringing up the issue, will be suspended.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thread re-opened.

Be warned: the aforementioned promises of action are still extant.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
florin

Post by florin »

This is a note that appears on the webcast page.
It's probably been there long time but i I only noticed it last week.
Maybe there are some points here that are relevant to the discussion that took place here.

"It’s easy to mistake official membership in The International Dzogchen Community as something separate from the View, Meditation, and Behavior of a Spiritual Teaching like Dzogchen itself; after all, many students are attracted to Rinpoche because he offers something so direct and close to the essence, free from the limitations of conventional institutions that often seem to dilute people’s access to The Dharma in so many societies around the world. Seeing Membership as this “thing” apart from what our Teacher transmits makes it appear like an unnecessary formal obligation, a burden imposed by just another bureaucracy going in the opposite direction of what the Teaching is all about, right?

Actually, wrong. The Membership is actually a fully integrated part of the View, Meditation, and Behavior of what Rinpoche has dedicated his life to upholding in the best way possible. Seeing ourselves as an interdependent part of the greater whole, our Sangha, is a perfect manifestation of that reality. Membership is our personal contribution—participating with our body, speech, and mind—to the continuation of the Teaching. It's not a number, or a passport, or a card, that lets us do stuff like Yantra Yoga, Vajra Dance, Khaita or other courses, or Retreats with Rinpoche (of course many of those are now offered on the donation basis of Generosity). It’s how we support Rinpoche’s vision for the world he has created, and how we become active participants and co-creators building that world. Do we want that world to continue to thrive and grow, develop and support itself into the future? Membership is an expression of that aspiration. Everybody everywhere is conditioned by their own situation, and prefers to do different secondary practices at different times, but the practice of Guru Yoga is truly what we all share all the time. Similarly, everybody contributes to The Community in their own unique ways, big and small, in whatever works for them in their own circumstances, but Membership is what we can all do to uphold what Rinpoche has given to our lives. And allow others to receive that benefit. Never forcing.

Recently, Rinpoche needed to protect his health and decided it was best for a period of time not to travel around the world and offer many Retreats as he has for decades. His schedule in 2018 will take him to many places again, and perhaps there will be many new Members that arrive to The International Dzogchen Community. Renewing and maintaining our Membership is actually a key part of our role as students in both situations, whether we are physically around Rinpoche or not. It is a function of our correct understanding of The View, Meditation, and Behavior of Rinpoche’s Teaching. We are individual students who make up The Sangha of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, and this is a concrete expression our knowledge and our commitment.

Thank You for Your Participation

With love Yours

International Gakyil"
Last edited by florin on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

florin wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm This is a note that appears on the webcast page.
It's probaly been there long time but i I only noticed it last week.
Maybe there are some points here that are relevant to the discussion that took place here.

"It’s easy to mistake official membership in The International Dzogchen Community as something separate from the View, Meditation, and Behavior of a Spiritual Teaching like Dzogchen itself; after all, many students are attracted to Rinpoche because he offers something so direct and close to the essence, free from the limitations of conventional institutions that often seem to dilute people’s access to The Dharma in so many societies around the world. Seeing Membership as this “thing” apart from what our Teacher transmits makes it appear like an unnecessary formal obligation, a burden imposed by just another bureaucracy going in the opposite direction of what the Teaching is all about, right?

Actually, wrong. The Membership is actually a fully integrated part of the View, Meditation, and Behavior of what Rinpoche has dedicated his life to upholding in the best way possible. Seeing ourselves as an interdependent part of the greater whole, our Sangha, is a perfect manifestation of that reality. Membership is our personal contribution—participating with our body, speech, and mind—to the continuation of the Teaching. It's not a number, or a passport, or a card, that lets us do stuff like Yantra Yoga, Vajra Dance, Khaita or other courses, or Retreats with Rinpoche (of course many of those are now offered on the donation basis of Generosity). It’s how we support Rinpoche’s vision for the world he has created, and how we become active participants and co-creators building that world. Do we want that world to continue to thrive and grow, develop and support itself into the future? Membership is an expression of that aspiration. Everybody everywhere is conditioned by their own situation, and prefers to do different secondary practices at different times, but the practice of Guru Yoga is truly what we all share all the time. Similarly, everybody contributes to The Community in their own unique ways, big and small, in whatever works for them in their own circumstances, but Membership is what we can all do to uphold what Rinpoche has given to our lives. And allow others to receive that benefit. Never forcing.

Recently, Rinpoche needed to protect his health and decided it was best for a period of time not to travel around the world and offer many Retreats as he has for decades. His schedule in 2018 will take him to many places again, and perhaps there will be many new Members that arrive to The International Dzogchen Community. Renewing and maintaining our Membership is actually a key part of our role as students in both situations, whether we are physically around Rinpoche or not. It is a function of our correct understanding of The View, Meditation, and Behavior of Rinpoche’s Teaching. We are individual students who make up The Sangha of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, and this is a concrete expression our knowledge and our commitment.

With love Yours

International Gakyil"
Thank you for posting. This is very important to consider.
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

florin wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm This is a note that appears on the webcast page.

With love Yours

International Gakyil"
:good:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

With love Yours

International Gakyil"
:namaste: :good: :anjali:
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Moha

Post by Moha »

florin wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 pm "It’s easy to mistake official membership in The International Dzogchen Community as something separate from the View, Meditation, and Behavior of a Spiritual Teaching like Dzogchen itself; after all, many students are attracted to Rinpoche because he offers something so direct and close to the essence, free from the limitations of conventional institutions that often seem to dilute people’s access to The Dharma in so many societies around the world. Seeing Membership as this “thing” apart from what our Teacher transmits makes it appear like an unnecessary formal obligation, a burden imposed by just another bureaucracy going in the opposite direction of what the Teaching is all about, right?
This was a timely reminder. I just paid for a membership a few hours ago. I've been putting it off for months as money is tight but then again, money is always tight. No better time than now. Thanks, florin.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

any news from Rinpoche?

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Moha

Post by Moha »

Noob question - is it ok to append the mantra of Vajrasattva to the short Ganapuja? If so, at which section can this be done?

Also, with regards to solitary practice, is there a difference in efficacy between the short/medium/long Thuns and Ganapuja? I understand that longer sessions are particularly important for collective practices. What about solitary practices? Just trying to un.derstand the characteristics of the different practices.The local Ling in my country isn't active, so I'm pretty much on my own for now.

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies if this is inappropriate in anyway.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:09 pm Noob question - is it ok to append the mantra of Vajrasattva to the short Ganapuja? If so, at which section can this be done?

Also, with regards to solitary practice, is there a difference in efficacy between the short/medium/long Thuns and Ganapuja? I understand that longer sessions are particularly important for collective practices. What about solitary practices? Just trying to un.derstand the characteristics of the different practices.The local Ling in my country isn't active, so I'm pretty much on my own for now.

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies if this is inappropriate in anyway.
not a noob question, it's perfect, following the thun structure it should go before the inner offering.

About short or long shadhana, one should put emphasis on quality regardless the lenght of the sadhana. There are short, medium, long, because somethimes we don't have much time to practice, and also some are more essential (short thun), some more linked to request something(medium-long thun), others more linked to purify samaya(ganapuja), etc. Efficacy depends on things like if you are Present, if your samaya is perfect, if you have conduct, understanding of what you are doing, etc. in sum if you are serious.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm
Ignorant_Fool wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:09 pm Noob question - is it ok to append the mantra of Vajrasattva to the short Ganapuja? If so, at which section can this be done?

not a noob question, it's perfect, following the thun structure it should go before the inner offering.

About short or long shadhana, one should put emphasis on quality regardless the lenght of the sadhana. There are short, medium, long, because somethimes we don't have much time to practice, and also some are more essential (short thun), some more linked to request something(medium-long thun), others more linked to purify samaya(ganapuja), etc. Efficacy depends on things like if you are Present, if your samaya is perfect, if you have conduct, understanding of what you are doing, etc. in sum if you are serious.
I've not seen anywhere that Rinpoche gives a green light to alter the structure of Tuns, Puja, or sadhanas. His instructions are clear and don't require modifications. If anyone has heard otherwise I'd like to know.
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

mechashivaz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 am

I've not seen anywhere that Rinpoche gives a green light to alter the structure of Tuns, Puja, or sadhanas. His instructions are clear and don't require modifications. If anyone has heard otherwise I'd like to know.
Also I feel like this is borderline acceptable talk about specifics.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

mechashivaz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:25 am
mechashivaz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 am

Also I feel like this is borderline acceptable talk about specifics.
there is no green light, but he said that if you know what you are doing you can apply. like doing everything with A, etc.

maybe it was better to pm haha ok

Moha

Post by Moha »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm About short or long shadhana, one should put emphasis on quality regardless the lenght of the sadhana. There are short, medium, long, because somethimes we don't have much time to practice, and also some are more essential (short thun), some more linked to request something(medium-long thun), others more linked to purify samaya(ganapuja), etc. Efficacy depends on things like if you are Present, if your samaya is perfect, if you have conduct, understanding of what you are doing, etc. in sum if you are serious.
This was kind of my line of reasoning as well or rather my understanding of Rinpoche's insistence that we understand the essence of all practices. Then again, my understanding is still very lacking and it might be best if I didn't go around changing things willy-nilly. Thank you for the advice. Will definitely keep them in mind.
mechashivaz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 am I've not seen anywhere that Rinpoche gives a green light to alter the structure of Tuns, Puja, or sadhanas. His instructions are clear and don't require modifications. If anyone has heard otherwise I'd like to know.
You're right. A lot of the DC practices are seem to be somewhat modular, especially when boiled down to their essential constituents - at least to my inexperienced mind. But there has to be a reason why they're structured the way they are. Hence, my question about the meaning and efficacy of the different length sadhanas. However, I should stop being a t*** and just practice what I've been fortunate to receive.
mechashivaz wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 am Also I feel like this is borderline acceptable talk about specifics.
Sorry about this. While digging through the almost 300 pages of this thread, I came across discussions that went into quite a bit of specifics and I thought mine wasn't as detailed. It's an oversight on my part. Perhaps it's better if I write to someone from the IDC about these matters. :ban:

Return to “Dzogchen”