Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Tārāmitra

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Tārāmitra »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tārāmitra wrote:I don't think there's really much more to be said in this particular debate. But to answer one direct question:
You think it's necessary for Buddhist practitioners interested in Dzogchen to be taught to not lie, kill etc.?
Not for Buddhists, no. For people arriving straight from the street without any Buddhist practice, I am personally of the view that a basic grounding in Sutra is the safest approach rather than going straight onto Dzogchen and Dzogchen only, but I understand and accept that there are other views on the matter.

Are you interested in whether Rincpohes approach would fit you, or simply in trying to find fault with it through the lens of orthodoxy though? That's always an exercise you can engage in, but I don't know if it will get you anywhere.
Sir, if you have read all my posts in this discussion, I would be surprised if I was not able to clearly express my respectful and sincere motives. I have never questioned his orthodoxy, only trying to establish whether his approach will be compatible with the requirements of my own path. It started with my asking for testimonies as to the quality of Rinpoche’s conduct, in view of the fact that we are asked to carefully scrutinise prospective masters, a need reinforced by the bad examples that occasionally surface in this regard. Then someone said he places no emphasis at all on śīla (but personally behaves respectably), leading to the discussion on that.
“What leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to higher knowledge, to enlightenment, to liberation: that I have not declared.”
Buddha Śākyamuni, Teacher of Gods and Men

{Formerly known as Vidyavajra}
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tārāmitra wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tārāmitra wrote:I don't think there's really much more to be said in this particular debate. But to answer one direct question:

Not for Buddhists, no. For people arriving straight from the street without any Buddhist practice, I am personally of the view that a basic grounding in Sutra is the safest approach rather than going straight onto Dzogchen and Dzogchen only, but I understand and accept that there are other views on the matter.

Are you interested in whether Rincpohes approach would fit you, or simply in trying to find fault with it through the lens of orthodoxy though? That's always an exercise you can engage in, but I don't know if it will get you anywhere.
Sir, if you have read all my posts in this discussion, I would be surprised if I was not able to clearly express my respectful and sincere motives. I have never questioned his orthodoxy, only trying to establish whether his approach will be compatible with the requirements of my own path. It started with my asking for testimonies as to the quality of Rinpoche’s conduct, in view of the fact that we are asked to carefully scrutinise prospective masters, a need reinforced by the bad examples that occasionally surface in this regard. Then someone said he places no emphasis at all on śīla (but personally behaves respectably), leading to the discussion on that.
I think you would have more difficulty with DC people. Many of them have no interest in Buddhadharma apart from ChNN's own teachings.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Tārāmitra wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Sir, if you have read all my posts in this discussion, I would be surprised if I was not able to clearly express my respectful and sincere motives. I have never questioned his orthodoxy, only trying to establish whether his approach will be compatible with the requirements of my own path.
Well the answer to that is easy, you don't have to abandon anything or replace anything, Rinpoches approach doesn't revolve around that kind of thinking. I also wasn't trying to accuse you of being insincere or anything like that.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Tārāmitra

Post by Tārāmitra »

Very well.

I realize I am a guest in this Dzogchen group, so if anyone has found my posts to be in any way inappropriate or be anything less than perfectly respectful and considerate, it was not intended.

I think my doubts will be more fully resolved if I meet Rinpoche personally and try receiving transmission. I assume I am not thereby bound by anything.

Malcolm, what did you mean by “DC people”?
“What leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to higher knowledge, to enlightenment, to liberation: that I have not declared.”

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Tārāmitra wrote:Very well.

I realize I am a guest in this Dzogchen group, so if anyone has found my posts to be in any way inappropriate or be anything less than perfectly respectful and considerate, it was not intended.

I think my doubts will be more fully resolved if I meet Rinpoche personally and try receiving transmission. I assume I am not thereby bound by anything.

Malcolm, what did you mean by “DC people”?
DC = Dzogchen Community, i.e. ChNN's organization, i.e. the topic of this thread. :smile:

I think your posts are fine. I don't think you will regret making a connection with ChNN.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

When I got interested in receiving DI from ChNN I looked as hard as I could for any scandals, shady behaviors or anything related.
Nothing.

As for his approach. Have you read any of his publicly available books introducing Dzogchen?
The only reason I ask is that if you are sincerely interested in receiving his teachings (and obviously you are at least sincerely interested) then reading some of his books is not too much work AND all of the answers that you've got so far are given in his books, along with the context of explaining his understanding of Dzogchen.

"Dzogchen the self perfected state" is probably my favorite. It is very clear about non-denominational, but it very clearly explains everything.

"Crystal and the way of light" is a little thicker, goes a little deeper into technical stuff and is autobiographical. Really wonderful read!

"Dzogchen teachings" is one that I found in a bookstore early on and found useful even if I didn't understand it all at the time.

I came to Dzogchen from outside of Buddhism, with no interest in it whatsoever.
For me personally I have found it very useful to study more Buddhism, both to understand the culture that the dzogchen teachings come from and to help me in those times that I can't constantly rest in non-dual contemplation.
So, while "Buddhism" is not the main point (although Buddhism main point is the main point, and is contained within the beautiful dzogchen teachings), you could say that my learning dzogchen brought at least one person to the dharma (and I'm sure many others).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote:When I got interested in receiving DI from ChNN I looked as hard as I could for any scandals, shady behaviors or anything related.
Nothing.

As for his approach. Have you read any of his publicly available books introducing Dzogchen?
The only reason I ask is that if you are sincerely interested in receiving his teachings (and obviously you are at least sincerely interested) then reading some of his books is not too much work AND all of the answers that you've got so far are given in his books, along with the context of explaining his understanding of Dzogchen.

"Dzogchen the self perfected state" is probably my favorite. It is very clear about non-denominational, but it very clearly explains everything.

"Crystal and the way of light" is a little thicker, goes a little deeper into technical stuff and is autobiographical. Really wonderful read!

"Dzogchen teachings" is one that I found in a bookstore early on and found useful even if I didn't understand it all at the time.

I came to Dzogchen from outside of Buddhism, with no interest in it whatsoever.
For me personally I have found it very useful to study more Buddhism, both to understand the culture that the dzogchen teachings come from and to help me in those times that I can't constantly rest in non-dual contemplation.
So, while "Buddhism" is not the main point (although Buddhism main point is the main point, and is contained within the beautiful dzogchen teachings), you could say that my learning dzogchen brought at least one person to the dharma (and I'm sure many others).
:good:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Good for you. :twothumbsup:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi !

Does anyone know why some webcast replays are not available for mobiles ? (Like the Longsal Rushan for instance)

Thx in advance
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

I'm looking for chulen in Kathmandu. I'd like to get some for the mandarava webcast. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it? Pretty much every source selling it online says it comes from the "famous" Tibetan doctor Ngawang Drakpa in Kathmandu, but I can't actually find any information about him online. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Pema Yolo wrote:I'm looking for chulen in Kathmandu. I'd like to get some for the mandarava webcast. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it? Pretty much every source selling it online says it comes from the "famous" Tibetan doctor Ngawang Drakpa in Kathmandu, but I can't actually find any information about him online. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You might ask:

http://shechen.org/spiritual-developmen ... eu-ricard/

at:

http://shechen.org/spiritual-developmen ... ndu-nepal/

Please send respects and regards from oldbob.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

From Norbunet:

we are pleased to announce our next webcast,
hoping to see you

with kind regards

webcast team

Dzamlingar Tenerife Canary Islands time [gmt+00:00]

Losar and Mandarava Druchen with Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

New Year of Fire-Bird
Melo 3934

2017: 27th Feb. Losar, the Mandarava Druchen Retreat starts. Open webcast.

27th Feb. Monday
8:30-9:30am. We do Losar Delegs and have our breakfast. Then we offer our Losar presents.
10:00-10:30am. I give the Tridlung and instructions of the Mandarava practice.
10:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava.
1:00-3:30pm. We have our lunch and then we play Bagchen and so on.
4:00-6:30pm. We do Khaita.

28th Feb. Tuesday
10:00-10:30am. I give an introduction to instructions on the Mandarava practice.
10:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava.
3:00-3:30pm. I give transmission of Ati Guru Yoga.
3:30-4:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills.
4:15-6:30pm. We do Khaita.

1st March. Wednesday
10:00-10:30am. We do Sang and Serkyem. Put up all the new Lungtas.
10:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills.
4:00-4:30pm. I give the tridlung of the root Mandarava text.
4:30-5:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava.
5:15-6:30pm. We do Khaita.

2nd March. Thursday
10:00-10:30am. I give the tridlung of the Srog-thig text till the end.
10:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills.
4:00-4:30pm. I give the tridlung of the Srog-thig Lung-jyor.
4:30-5:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen Pills.

3rd March. Friday
10:00-10:30am. I give the tridlung of the Mandarava Tsa-lung text.
10:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.
4:00-4:30pm. I give an explanation about the 4 Initiations.
4:30-5:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen Pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.

4th March. Saturday
10:00-11:30am. I give a Long life initiation of Mandarava to those present.
11:30-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.
During that time, people following the Webcast can do the practice of Mandarava
with Chudlen Pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.
4:00-5:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen Pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.

5th March. Sunday
10:00-11:40am. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.
11:40-12:15pm. Presentation of the Dzamling Gar Gonpa project and so on.
4:00-5:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen Pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.

6th March. Monday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the practice of Mandarava with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor.

7th March. Tuesday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Gana Puja for the day of Guru Rinpoche.
5:15-6.30pm. We do Khaita.

8th March. Wednesday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with its Srog-thig Lung-jyor 3 times.
3:00-4:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig-Lung-jyor 3 times.

9th March. Thursday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig-Lung-jyor 3 times.
3:00-4:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor 3 times.

10th March. Friday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor 3 times.
3:00-4:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor 3 times.

11th March. Saturday
10:00-12:00pm. We do the Mandarava practice with Chudlen pills and Srog-thig Lung-jyor 3 times.

12th March. Sunday
3:00-3.30am. We do Guru Garab Dorje’s Jyin-beb. [WWT world wide transmission]
3:30- 3:35am. I give the Lung of the Thun Book.

10:00-10:25am. I give the Lung of many collective practices and the root text of Mandarava.
10.25-12:00pm. We do the last Mandarava practice of this retreat with its Gana Puja.
12:00-1:30pm. Fundraising. I meet many people.
4:00-6:30pm. We do Khaita.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

What is Srog-thig Lung-jyor?
heart

Post by heart »

Lhasa wrote:What is Srog-thig Lung-jyor?
It is a special kind of breathing and visualisation connected with the Mandarava practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Tārāmitra

Post by Tārāmitra »

Are there recommended any special practices that would help ‘prepare the ground’, so to speak, and make one more receptive for a maximally efficacious transmission experience? Has Rinpoche recommended anything in particular?

climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I think it's just relax.
DI is the first point and then everything afterwards is understanding and integrating that.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Tārāmitra wrote:Are there recommended any special practices that would help ‘prepare the ground’, so to speak, and make one more receptive for a maximally efficacious transmission experience? Has Rinpoche recommended anything in particular?
This is from my experience.

Being in a relaxed state of open presence is the main point. Keep your back straight.

If you are comfortable doing this, Imagine that ChNNR is the same as all the Buddhas of the 3 times and 10 directions and with strong faith attend to what is said. If it is normal in your practice to listen with joined hands then do that, though most DC practitioners do not.

Once you have the DI transmission and reading transmissions, practicing the transmission of the 3 lights in Guru Yoga in the Tun book, practicing the Guru Yoga of the white Ah, and Purification of the 6 Lokas, all help in making transmission stronger.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=804
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=821
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=296
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=820
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=816

If you cannot afford the cost of the materials, contact your local DC Center and ask them to recommend a practitioner living near you.

Best, ob
hypa3000

Post by hypa3000 »

Hi,

Which book(s) / ebook(s) / Video / Audio would be most recommended for the Mandarava Practice and this Retreat?

quite a few to choose from here:

http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... it_search=

Also is the specific practice text available online? I've also looked in the IDC members previous retreat resources section but couldn't find an exact match for the practice text there.

Thank you :namaste:

ps. During the last longsal retreat a recommended reading list was later shown on the bottom of this page

"BOOKS RELATED TO THE CURRENT RETREAT"
http://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php?id=live-webcast

along with comments on this thread i found it very helpful, Thank you :)
"Clarity, non-thought and non-distraction - These three are the meditation in brief."
- Milarepa
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

hypa3000 wrote:Hi,

Which book(s) / ebook(s) / Video / Audio would be most recommended for the Mandarava Practice and this Retreat?

quite a few to choose from here:

http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... it_search=

Also is the specific practice text available online? I've also looked in the IDC members previous retreat resources section but couldn't find an exact match for the practice text there.

Thank you :namaste:

ps. During the last longsal retreat a recommended reading list was later shown on the bottom of this page

"BOOKS RELATED TO THE CURRENT RETREAT"
http://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php?id=live-webcast

along with comments on this thread i found it very helpful, Thank you :)
this was in rimpoche's hands today at retreat during the practice, i supouse that is the text you are looking for

http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... results=35

happy losar
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

hypa3000 wrote: Which book(s) / ebook(s) / Video / Audio would be most recommended for the Mandarava Practice and this Retreat?

This is the practice text used in this retreat.

This is the ebook version, which if you order now will get to you within a matter of hours usually.

The other books are the teaching on the practice, so they will be a useful overview after the retreat.

Happy Losar!

Return to “Dzogchen”