Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Vasana

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Vasana »

Josef wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 pm
Vasana wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 am
Josef wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 am
TPV is the DC equivalent to retreat style accumulation.
Individual circumstances can be adapted to fit that structure.

Working with our circumstances comes first but retreat is still ideal for certain practices to get maximum benefit and progression. At the very least, dedicating a day or a weekend or a week to practice can yield more significant and swifter effects than sessions spread out and diluted. Diluted can sometimes work out in the long run but in the beggining it's good to allocate some proper time for practice.
I never made any comments to the contrary. Nor does Rinpoche in The Precious Vase.
I wasn't suggesting you did, was just elaborating :smile:
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Has ChNNR suggested specific teachers (who are still alive) to take empowerments and teachings from? I have the impression he has, but I can't find something.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Lopon Tenzin Namdak.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 pm Lopon Tenzin Namdak.
It doesn't look like he is very accessible at the moment. Hopefully there are others as well.
meepits

Post by meepits »

Penor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm I was just at Dzamling gar. For any one who doesnt know already, Rinpoche got out of hospital a few days ago. I saw him when he returned, he looked weak. He is resting at home. I read that to improve Rinpoches health he has requested for his students do guru yoga, remain present and work with circumstance.
Thanks for this
treehuggingoctopus

Aryjna wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 pm
It doesn't look like he is very accessible at the moment. Hopefully there are others as well.
Actually, he is very (given his age) accessible:

http://www.shenten.org/index.php?option ... 06&lang=en

As far as I know, there seem to be no others. In the early 1990s Rinpoche suggested to some of his students that they seek out and receive DI from Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche and Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, who, sadly, died in 1996. That said, Tsoknyi Rinpoche, one of TUR's sons, has been invited to teach in Merigar a few times since then, which might be construed as a meaningful gesture.

Tsoknyi Rinpoche, just like the three other sons of TUR, are wonderful teachers in any case.

Edmond Jabès
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 pm

As far as I know, there seem to be no others. In the early 1990s Rinpoche suggested to some of his students that they seek out and receive DI from Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche and Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, who, sadly, died in 1996. That said, Tsoknyi Rinpoche, one of TUR's sons, has been invited to teach in Merigar a few times since then, which might be construed as a meaningful gesture.

Tsoknyi Rinpoche, just like the three other sons of TUR, are wonderful teachers in any case.
I remembering hearing that Rinpoche recommended his students study with LTNR and the sons of TUR. It was probably just something I read on here or on Vajracakra, so I don't know how authoritative that is. It could be that someone just extrapolated that that's who he would recommend based the same info that you just gave, rather than Rinpoche directly saying that.

From what I've heard ChNNR visited Ka-Nying at TUR's request because he wanted ChNNR to have a relationship with his sons.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Tsoknyi rimpoche also gave a wonderful 3 week retreat in tashigar south about patruls text on the three garab dorje statments
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Thank you for the replies. Meeting Lopon Tenzin Namdak and/or one of Tulku Urgyen's sons would be nice if there is a chance.
treehuggingoctopus

dharmafootsteps wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 amIt could be that someone just extrapolated that that's who he would recommend based the same info that you just gave, rather than Rinpoche directly saying that.
Well, if my source is not lying (and why would they be), no extrapolation here at all. I heard about the whole thing from a person who was there, taking part in a DC pilgrimage in Nepal, who was among those whom ChNN told to seek out LTN and TUR, and who actually did go out and meet LTN (they did not follow Rinpoche's advice to meet and receive DI from TUR, which they still regret).
dharmafootsteps wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 amFrom what I've heard ChNNR visited Ka-Nying at TUR's request because he wanted ChNNR to have a relationship with his sons.
Thank you for that piece. It does not surprise me, the two teachers respect(ed) each other very, very much.

Edmond Jabès
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am Well, if my source is not lying (and why would they be), no extrapolation here at all. I heard about the whole thing from a person who was there, taking part in a DC pilgrimage in Nepal, who was among those whom ChNN told to seek out LTN and TUR, and who actually did go out and meet LTN (they did not follow Rinpoche's advice to meet and receive DI from TUR, which they still regret).
I didn't mean to imply that your info was extrapolated, I trust that's accurate.

I just meant it about the part that I said, about ChNNR recommending his students receive teachings from the sons of TUR. I wasn't sure if that was something Rinpoche explicitly said, or just implied given his relationship with the family/TUR.
treehuggingoctopus

dharmafootsteps wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am Well, if my source is not lying (and why would they be), no extrapolation here at all. I heard about the whole thing from a person who was there, taking part in a DC pilgrimage in Nepal, who was among those whom ChNN told to seek out LTN and TUR, and who actually did go out and meet LTN (they did not follow Rinpoche's advice to meet and receive DI from TUR, which they still regret).
I didn't mean to imply that your info was extrapolated, I trust that's accurate.

I just meant it about the part that I said, about ChNNR recommending his students receive teachings from the sons of TUR. I wasn't sure if that was something Rinpoche explicitly said, or just implied given his relationship with the family/TUR.
I am not getting enough sleep these days, and it shows.

Edmond Jabès
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Penor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm I was just at Dzamling gar. For any one who doesnt know already, Rinpoche got out of hospital a few days ago. I saw him when he returned, he looked weak. He is resting at home. I read that to improve Rinpoches health he has requested for his students do guru yoga, remain present and work with circumstance.
🙇🙇🙇 thank you for thins information.

We must maintain samaya pure.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Could someone explain what is korwa tontrug usually good for? (besides enlightment :jumping: )
heart

Post by heart »

TaTa wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm Could someone explain what is korwa tontrug usually good for? (besides enlightment :jumping: )
Compassion generally. ChNNR teach about ways to bless water that can benefit others and how to make a tagdrol. It is also used in a ChangChog (to benefit the dead).

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

At a local shop, I have found a very nice statue of Samantabhadra in union with his consort, but am deciding whether to buy it. Is this the sort of image that might be helpful for any DC practices? There is an opening in the base, so I would probably also have it ritually filled by a local monk qualified to do so.
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

heart wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm
TaTa wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm Could someone explain what is korwa tontrug usually good for? (besides enlightment :jumping: )
Compassion generally. ChNNR teach about ways to bless water that can benefit others and how to make a tagdrol. It is also used in a ChangChog (to benefit the dead).

/magnus
avalokiteshvara korwa tontrug is particulary effective for softening our minds, let's say for preventing and overcoming sangha quarreling for example ;). it's one of the practices to be perfected for sms. at least that is said implicit and explicit in the booklet.

it has infinite qualities appart from being a path to enlightenment, to mention some through this one can purify karma, help the deceased, create possitive cause for sentient beings, autenticate inciences and perfume, water, etc., make a tagdrol as heart says, among other applications. in the booklet is explained in detail, this is to be kept secret.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Spelare wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 am At a local shop, I have found a very nice statue of Samantabhadra in union with his consort, but am deciding whether to buy it. Is this the sort of image that might be helpful for any DC practices? There is an opening in the base, so I would probably also have it ritually filled by a local monk qualified to do so.
in general samanthabadra-samanthabadri yab-yum is not specifically used in IDC practices. i know only Phowa of the three kayas where it is used.

at the base afaik there is a hole because there some subtances are inserted as part of the authentication of the statue. if authenticated it becomes sacred, so need special respect.

it can be of use, yes, it is a symbol, so it can helps to remember something, like "everything is good", emptyness-clarity-sensation, method and prajña, etc.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Spelare wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 am At a local shop, I have found a very nice statue of Samantabhadra in union with his consort, but am deciding whether to buy it. Is this the sort of image that might be helpful for any DC practices? There is an opening in the base, so I would probably also have it ritually filled by a local monk qualified to do so.
Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche once said something like: "You cannot find old tibetan statues of Samantabhadra in Tibet, or museums because there aren't any - he represents the Dharmakaya and was only depicted in thangkas & not casted in metal. You can only encounter the Dharmakaya face to face you cannot walk around it, but you can walk around a statue - so there was no statue of him."

There exist newer ones made in China/Nepal/India since the 1960s, or 1970s.
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 am
in general samanthabadra-samanthabadri yab-yum is not specifically used in IDC practices.
It is used in Changchub Dorje's Shitro practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”