Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by heart »

LolCat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am I missed the trid-lung. :( My stream started when the practice had already begun. Is this lung the same as the one Rinpoche gives at the end of retreats? I think I already have that, can I follow along for the rest of the days?
Tri-lung is actually the teaching on the Mandarva sadhana, "tri" means instruction and "lung" oral transmission. So Rinpoche reads a few lines from the text in Tibetan and then explain what to do at that point in the practice.

If you have the "lung" from the normal retreats you can of course follow the practice.

There is also a separate "lung" for the tsa-lung instructions that Rinpoche seems to be giving during this retreat.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Thank you, that's good to hear. :smile: I will be attending all of Rinpoche's sessions, so I won't be missing out on the other lungs, this time I will use Edge from the start.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

meepits wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am From the introduction to Longchenpa’s Advice From the Heart: “In Dzogchen there are no limitations; one can do Guruyoga in a Vajrayana style or, in a simpler way, one can recognize the real undifferentiated state of one’s teachers and oneself. Then one remains five seconds, or one minute, or ten minutes, whichever is appropriate, in the state, permeated with the knowledge that all one’s teachers, all enlightened beings and oneself are not different: this is called Guruyoga.”

A few years later the beautiful Guruyoga book was compiled with its array of Vajrayana guruyoga styles and AFAIK no condoning of any simpler approach. Do you think this means anything, i.e. that he no longer recommends a pared down guruyoga option?

I ask just b/c there are certain busy moments in life when that quick, simple form seems useful.

Peace out
Meepits
I'm pretty new to Dzogchen and currently rereading Guru Yoga specifically looking for ways to integrate Dzogchen practice within my daily activities. Here are some excerpts from pp.43-46 you might find interesting. (If it is inappropriate to post such quotes from ChNN's books, someone please let me know.)
Receiving many teachings or learning a lot of practices is not the principal point. … [M]any secondary practices exist that we can learn to do, but it is important to understand that this is not the main point. As I always repeat, the principal point of Dzogchen is Guruyoga.

[Garab Dorje’s second statement, “do not remain in doubt”] means that it is only possible to overcome doubt with direct experience.

All practices have to be connected with the transmission and with Guruyoga. There is no other way to come to know our real state, and this is why Guruyoga is indispensable. It is not necessary, though, to do complex Guruyoga practices, reciting many verses in Tibetan and doing complicated visualizations; you can apply Guruyoga in a very simple and essential way. It is enough to sound A and visualize a five colored thigle at the center of your body. The white A and the thigle is a symbol of our three primordial potentialities (sound, light, and rays). Then, in this clarity, we maintain presence in the primordial state.

So it is extremely important that you do Guruyoga every time you remember it. There is no need for a particular place or a set time. You can do Guruyoga in every circumstance.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

Quick question--I'm without access to a Merigar calendar for the moment--regarding surgery, can any lookup where the force of energy is dwelling for a metal mouse on Feb 22 and Feb 29? Help much appreciated--thanks.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

blackpath wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19 pm Quick question--I'm without access to a Merigar calendar for the moment--regarding surgery, can any lookup where the force of energy is dwelling for a metal mouse on Feb 22 and Feb 29? Help much appreciated--thanks.
No clue about metal mice, but Feb 22 is a good day in general -- unlike Feb 29.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Jeff H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm
meepits wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am From the introduction to Longchenpa’s Advice From the Heart: “In Dzogchen there are no limitations; one can do Guruyoga in a Vajrayana style or, in a simpler way, one can recognize the real undifferentiated state of one’s teachers and oneself. Then one remains five seconds, or one minute, or ten minutes, whichever is appropriate, in the state, permeated with the knowledge that all one’s teachers, all enlightened beings and oneself are not different: this is called Guruyoga.”

A few years later the beautiful Guruyoga book was compiled with its array of Vajrayana guruyoga styles and AFAIK no condoning of any simpler approach. Do you think this means anything, i.e. that he no longer recommends a pared down guruyoga option?

I ask just b/c there are certain busy moments in life when that quick, simple form seems useful.

Peace out
Meepits
I'm pretty new to Dzogchen and currently rereading Guru Yoga specifically looking for ways to integrate Dzogchen practice within my daily activities. Here are some excerpts from pp.43-46 you might find interesting. (If it is inappropriate to post such quotes from ChNN's books, someone please let me know.)
Receiving many teachings or learning a lot of practices is not the principal point. … [M]any secondary practices exist that we can learn to do, but it is important to understand that this is not the main point. As I always repeat, the principal point of Dzogchen is Guruyoga.

[Garab Dorje’s second statement, “do not remain in doubt”] means that it is only possible to overcome doubt with direct experience.

All practices have to be connected with the transmission and with Guruyoga. There is no other way to come to know our real state, and this is why Guruyoga is indispensable. It is not necessary, though, to do complex Guruyoga practices, reciting many verses in Tibetan and doing complicated visualizations; you can apply Guruyoga in a very simple and essential way. It is enough to sound A and visualize a five colored thigle at the center of your body. The white A and the thigle is a symbol of our three primordial potentialities (sound, light, and rays). Then, in this clarity, we maintain presence in the primordial state.

So it is extremely important that you do Guruyoga every time you remember it. There is no need for a particular place or a set time. You can do Guruyoga in every circumstance.
If a text is restricrd then it should not be quoted from.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm
Jeff H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm (If it is inappropriate to post such quotes from ChNN's books, someone please let me know.)
Yes, I know that, but I'm not sure about the status of GY. I bought it over a year ago, before (although in preparation for) my first WWT. When ordering it I indicated on the form that I had not had any prior instruction from ChNN.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
meepits

Post by meepits »

Jeff H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm
Jeff H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm (If it is inappropriate to post such quotes from ChNN's books, someone please let me know.)
Yes, I know that, but I'm not sure about the status of GY. I bought it over a year ago, before (although in preparation for) my first WWT. When ordering it I indicated on the form that I had not had any prior instruction from ChNN.
FWIW I bought the GY book too. Well in any event, the quoting is over and I’ll bear in mind to paraphrase or something next time. Side note, I really appreciate the community discussion that happens on this thread. I’ve learned a lot and am totally grateful.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Anyone able to get through to the stream?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Joseph wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 am Anyone able to get through to the stream?
nope, i'm still waiting
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Chrome is not working for me, but Firefox is (for the video).
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am Chrome is not working for me, but Firefox is (for the video).
The exact opposite for me. :shrug:
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

for me neither firefox nor chrome :shrug:

but opera works :thumbsup:
Lost In Transmission
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

:/

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

mmm in chrome go to

chrome://settings/content/flash

add

http://webcast.dzogchen.net

and add

http://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php?id=live-stream

to the blocked site list for flash.

that worked for me, might work for you.

also add

http://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php?i ... audio-only

to blocked sites, if audio only is eventually needed.
Last edited by jet.urgyen on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 am ....................

no - not for me
i 've tried everything
also i don't like chrome. opera is ok!
Lost In Transmission
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

lelopa wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:40 am

no - not for me
i 've tried everything
add

too please, check for if it works might be of help for others

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am

no - not for me
i 've tried everything
add

To what should I add it??? and why?
Lost In Transmission
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

lelopa wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am

no - not for me
i 've tried everything
add

To what should I add it??? and why?
to the sites where flash player is not supposed to work. in the webcast page says
For the best experience please disable Flash Player for this website. All players use HTML5.
Here a website showing you how
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/disable-fl ... 21335.html

---

btw who is leading the practice in the webcast? -.-
Last edited by jet.urgyen on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Yes... and?!?

i do not understand what you want, or you did not understand what i've wrote
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Dzogchen”