Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

lelopa

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by lelopa »

climb-up wrote:((The SMS Base practices and requirements are available publicly, so I believe this is an acceptable place to ask))

I am under the impression that, for the SMS Base practices, the practice of the three roots can be done either by quantity or by quality.
Is that true?
If so:
1) Is one or the other method preferable?
2)Would it be acceptable to perform, for example, the guru by quality and deva and dakini by quantity?

I really appreciate any answers here. Thank you
Quality is preferable - says ChNN
Lost In Transmission
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Should sms be practiced in the order its explained? For exMple if i only have a couple of months for retreat i might prefsr to use them in semdzin and rushan than four unmeaurables
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Guys, switch to PMs. SMS practices are not to be talked about on open message boards.
climb-up wrote:The SMS Base practices and requirements are available publicly, so I believe this is an acceptable place to ask
The SMS practices should not be available publicly.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Guys, switch to PMs. SMS practices are not to be talked about on open message boards.
climb-up wrote:The SMS Base practices and requirements are available publicly, so I believe this is an acceptable place to ask
Okay.
I only question this because the .pdf is available on the http://dzogchencommunity.org website.
It comes up first on a google search and I double checked and if you just go onto the website and use it's search function, the .pdf will come up as well, so it's not trying to be hidden. ( http://dzogchencommunity.org/santi-maha-sangha/ )
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

climb-up wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:Guys, switch to PMs. SMS practices are not to be talked about on open message boards.
Okay.
I only question this because the .pdf is available on the http://dzogchencommunity.org website.
It comes up first on a google search and I double checked and if you just go onto the website and use it's search function, the .pdf will come up as well, so it's not trying to be hidden. ( http://dzogchencommunity.org/santi-maha-sangha/ )
It's still not something you discuss in public.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi, just a minor question. If I wanted to do a simple ganapuja is it okay to just use piece of bread and water in case I don't have alcohol or meat?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Josef

Post by Josef »

Miroku wrote:Hi, just a minor question. If I wanted to do a simple ganapuja is it okay to just use piece of bread and water in case I don't have alcohol or meat?
Yes.
"work with circumstances"
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Norwegian wrote:
climb-up wrote:

Okay.
It's still not something you discuss in public.
Okay, I'll stop then. Please flag my posts for the moderators if they've crossed the line.
What is the limit in this regard?
Various practices are frequently mentioned here, is it just that specific practices and procedures of SMS specifically shouldn't be discussed?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

The key here is to follow the guidance of the Guru and his senior students.
The internet is full of practices which require some sort of transmission before they should be performed.
We can't know which ones require transmission without guidance, so best not to spread the publication of them.
If we start with transmission or advice and then use the links our Guru provides we are fine.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
treehuggingoctopus

climb-up wrote:Please flag my posts for the moderators if they've crossed the line.
What is the limit in this regard?
Various practices are frequently mentioned here, is it just that specific practices and procedures of SMS specifically shouldn't be discussed?
Rinpoche is averse to his students discussing Dzogchen online in general. He has also repeatedly said that we should not talk about the details of any Vajrayana practice in public. But what he indeed stresses most is that we must not bring SMS practices/instructions into the open.

I do not think that posting a link to the .pdf with a list of Base level practices is any transgression. Talking about any specific instructions would be, in my book at least.

Edmond Jabès
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Josef wrote:
Miroku wrote:Hi, just a minor question. If I wanted to do a simple ganapuja is it okay to just use piece of bread and water in case I don't have alcohol or meat?
Yes.
And how do we deal with the remainder offering?
Josef

Post by Josef »

liuzg150181 wrote:
Josef wrote:
Yes.
And how do we deal with the remainder offering?
However you can/need to.
You can set it out in a clear open space and remove it later or visualize it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hello, could anyone please pm me a details of vajrapani practice? Like mantra and seed syllable?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Josef

Post by Josef »

Miroku wrote:Hello, could anyone please pm me a details of vajrapani practice? Like mantra and seed syllable?
There is a booklet available that you can order.
Malcolm

Update on Chögyal Namkhai Norbu’s Program

Post by Malcolm »

Dear All,

Our dear Maestro Chögyal Namkhai Norbu is continuing his convalescence and his health is steadily improving.

He has decided not to undertake the journey planned for Asia and to remain at Merigar. This is for various reasons and various obstacles that are manifesting in connection with this journey.

The Gakyil of Merigar

http://melong.com/chogyal-namkhai-norbu-program-update/
treehuggingoctopus

Fcuk, what a year it has been...

I only hope it has got nothing to do with the US-North Korea tensions.

Edmond Jabès
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Is there any chance that retreats will take place in Merigar instead?
treehuggingoctopus

You can write and ask them. But I suspect it is unlikely. Organising a retreat is a massive undertaking, you generally need to prepare well in advance.

Edmond Jabès
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

I was really hoping to see him this year in argentina :crying:
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

TaTa wrote:I was really hoping to see him this year in argentina :crying: