Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by heart »

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:17 pm Does someone know if the Mandarava initiation that ChNNR gave in the last Mandarava drubchen was a tonwang? Or, if not, what was it?
He normally gives a donwang, a "meaning empowerment" as in the real meaning is transmitted in a concise way.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

heart wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Aryjna wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:17 pm Does someone know if the Mandarava initiation that ChNNR gave in the last Mandarava drubchen was a tonwang? Or, if not, what was it?
He normally gives a donwang, a "meaning empowerment" as in the real meaning is transmitted in a concise way.

/magnus
I have read about that but I was wondering about this time specifically.
heart

Post by heart »

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm

/magnus
It is always a donwang if it is on webcast, in my experience at least.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

heart wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 pm

/magnus

/magnus
It was not webcasted. I think it was not a tonwang but I am not sure.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 pm

/magnus
He has given it via webcast several times in the past.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
heart

Post by heart »

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 pm

/magnus
If Rinpoche used things like a bumpa it was probably the full extended empowerment.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Thanks
ohwedodzogchennow

Post by ohwedodzogchennow »

Hello.

I am a bit lost with the technical details surrounding different levels of transmission. There is a scarcity of clear information about them.

How are tsewang and donwang different from lung and how do those relate to actual practicing? Which of the Namkhai Norbu teachings require more than a lung reading for effective practice?

Some official sites have mentioned of NN giving a related initiation in Mandarava retreats. Could some fellow non-self kindly explain what exactly is the purpose of that initiation and how it relates to the publicly webcasted lungs for Mandarava practice?

The same listing of NN's lung transmissions makes a mention in almost all the events that specifically two main mantras of Dark Garuda practice were given. Does this mean that its action mantras are meaningless unless I receive further transmission for them?
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

ohwedodzogchennow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 am Hello.

I am a bit lost with the technical details surrounding different levels of transmission. There is a scarcity of clear information about them.

How are tsewang and donwang different from lung and how do those relate to actual practicing? Which of the Namkhai Norbu teachings require more than a lung reading for effective practice?

Some official sites have mentioned of NN giving a related initiation in Mandarava retreats. Could some fellow non-self kindly explain what exactly is the purpose of that initiation and how it relates to the publicly webcasted lungs for Mandarava practice?

The same listing of NN's lung transmissions makes a mention in almost all the events that specifically two main mantras of Dark Garuda practice were given. Does this mean that its action mantras are meaningless unless I receive further transmission for them?
More information on the differences between kinds of empowerment can be found in Mandarava Tsalung and other books. Lungs by themselves are not enough for anything (for the main practice at least, you can still practice some mantras or maybe simple sadhanas with only lung). The main thing needed is direct introduction, and then lungs for specific practices. Empowerments are 'extra' but very good to have if you can get them from a good teacher.
ohwedodzogchennow

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmMore information on the differences between kinds of empowerment can be found in Mandarava Tsalung and other books.
Alright, thanks. I hadn't had the chance to order all the relevant and interesting books yet.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmLungs by themselves are not enough for anything (for the main practice at least, you can still practice some mantras or maybe simple sadhanas with only lung).
Your writing is so terse that I am having great difficulty trying to figure out your exact meaning here. Are you advicing that lungs are not a subsitute for guruyoga and dzogchen practice? To make myself clear: when I was referring to teachings, I meant Namkhai Norbu's tantric teachings exclusively.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmThe main thing needed is direct introduction, and then lungs for specific practices.
Was this an indirect way of asking a confirmation whether I practice dzogchen for my main practice? If so, then the answer is yes. In addition to the main practice I just wish to correctly practice and master these tantric practices for particular healing functions for the benefit of others.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmEmpowerments are 'extra' but very good to have if you can get them from a good teacher.
I trust you speak the truth.

I am still uncertain if the public lung transmission are enough for complete Mandarava and Dark Garuda practices (or any other tantra given through webcast lung) as instructed in their respective Shang Shung Institute publications.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

ohwedodzogchennow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 pm
Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmMore information on the differences between kinds of empowerment can be found in Mandarava Tsalung and other books.
Alright, thanks. I hadn't had the chance to order all the relevant and interesting books yet.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmLungs by themselves are not enough for anything (for the main practice at least, you can still practice some mantras or maybe simple sadhanas with only lung).
Your writing is so terse that I am having great difficulty trying to figure out your exact meaning here. Are you advicing that lungs are not a subsitute for guruyoga and dzogchen practice? To make myself clear: when I was referring to teachings, I meant Namkhai Norbu's tantric teachings exclusively.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmThe main thing needed is direct introduction, and then lungs for specific practices.
Was this an indirect way of asking a confirmation whether I practice dzogchen for my main practice? If so, then the answer is yes. In addition to the main practice I just wish to correctly practice and master these tantric practices for particular healing functions for the benefit of others.

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pmEmpowerments are 'extra' but very good to have if you can get them from a good teacher.
I trust you speak the truth.

I am still uncertain if the public lung transmission are enough for complete Mandarava and Dark Garuda practices (or any other tantra given through webcast lung) as instructed in their respective Shang Shung Institute publications.
I mean that what you need in order to practice anything by ChNNR is first direct introduction, given three times a year on specific dates and also during retreats, and then you also need the lung for the practice that you want. So for Mandarava you need direct introduction and the Mandarava lung. If you can also get the initiation/empowerment it is even better.
ohwedodzogchennow

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pmI mean that what you need in order to practice anything by ChNNR is first direct introduction, given three times a year on specific dates and also during retreats, and then you also need the lung for the practice that you want. So for Mandarava you need direct introduction and the Mandarava lung. If you can also get the initiation/empowerment it is even better.
Thanks a lot, I am getting you now. I received the direct introduction two years ago on the anniversary of Guru Rinpoche.

How about the Dark Garuda action mantras? Do these require specific lung, or are the two main mantras transmitted through webcasts (as indicated in the transmission listings) enough for generating all the power and function of the entire practice? I want to be sure of being able to obtain some specific healing results or otherwise I would just waste everyone's time with focusing on Dark Garuda that didn't work quite as intended.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Spelare wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 pm I understand that the Guhyagarbha Tantra is held in especially high regard, and was important in the development of Nyingma practice, but can we get the same benefit from practicing Mahayoga according to a different text, e.g. from the Chokling Tersar?
This just means that the Guhyagarbha tantra is the root source of Mahayoga. Chokling Tersar is a terma that contains all three inner tantras, the Mahayoga sadhanas of which are based on the Guhyagarbha tantra.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pm I mean that what you need in order to practice anything by ChNNR is first direct introduction, given three times a year on specific dates and also during retreats, and then you also need the lung for the practice that you want. So for Mandarava you need direct introduction and the Mandarava lung. If you can also get the initiation/empowerment it is even better.
What Aryjna is getting at here is that what direct introduction points out is the essence of all yidams, so that in an essential way, once on has received direct introduction, to practice any yidam, all one needs is the reading transmission (lung) of their mantra. Now, as a relative skillful means, when meeting with one’s lama in person, usually the lama will give the specific elaborate empowerment for each yidam. But ChNN is more focused on the Dzogchen principle, and also he’s webcasting and elaborate tantric empowerments require participation in person.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 pm
Spelare wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 pm I understand that the Guhyagarbha Tantra is held in especially high regard, and was important in the development of Nyingma practice, but can we get the same benefit from practicing Mahayoga according to a different text, e.g. from the Chokling Tersar?
This just means that the Guhyagarbha tantra is the root source of Mahayoga. Chokling Tersar is a terma that contains all three inner tantras, the Mahayoga sadhanas of which are based on the Guhyagarbha tantra.
Great, thanks for clearing that up for me!
Neither person nor skandha
but unstained wisdom is buddha.
In its knowing, ever serene—
I go for refuge therein.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Just passing through and thought I'd pass this on - there are two copies of Precious Vase for sale on eBay at the moment, one for $22 or BO in US and one for $172 plus $34 shipping in Germany. I know in the past some people have "rescued" these and passed them on to those who need them, wasn't sure if this is still being done. If not, let me know and kindly disregard this post. Thanks.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

ohwedodzogchennow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Aryjna wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 pmI mean that what you need in order to practice anything by ChNNR is first direct introduction, given three times a year on specific dates and also during retreats, and then you also need the lung for the practice that you want. So for Mandarava you need direct introduction and the Mandarava lung. If you can also get the initiation/empowerment it is even better.
Thanks a lot, I am getting you now. I received the direct introduction two years ago on the anniversary of Guru Rinpoche.

How about the Dark Garuda action mantras? Do these require specific lung, or are the two main mantras transmitted through webcasts (as indicated in the transmission listings) enough for generating all the power and function of the entire practice? I want to be sure of being able to obtain some specific healing results or otherwise I would just waste everyone's time with focusing on Dark Garuda that didn't work quite as intended.
As far as I know, if you want to also practice the action mantras you need the lungs for them too. They may also have other prerequisites which you can probably read about in the book on this practice.

I remember reading for other practices that you may not need the action mantras, depending on how well you can do the practice. Maybe someone else here knows more about that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 pm the Mahayoga sadhanas of which are based on the Guhyagarbha tantra.
Not necessarily, for example, there are sadhanas in the Choling tersar that are based on the Mahayoga yoginī tantra, the Buddhasamyoga Tantra.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello! in the sadhana of Guru Amitayus, the melody is always the same? if not, can somebody share the refuge melody to me?

Thank's !!!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 am Hello! in the sadhana of Guru Amitayus, the melody is always the same? if not, can somebody share the refuge melody to me?

Thank's !!!
I have only heard one melody. :twothumbsup:

Return to “Dzogchen”