Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Kelwin

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Kelwin »

As usual, I'm amazed at the clarity of his transmission. Beyond anything. He truly is my Guru in that sense.

And yet, as usual, I'm unsure how to continue in the Dzogchen Community. I practice the Short Tun, have met the small local sangha, and I know the SMS program exists. But really, what is the next step if I truly want to make the jump from my Kagyu/Nyingma background to practicing in the blessing of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche? The lack of structure gives a lot of freedom, but also, well, a lack of structure.

Also, I am somewhat bothered by the fact that I never talked with him, and maybe never will. Not that I have any real questions, it makes it somewhat strange to consider him my Guru.

Any advice? Thank you.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Josef

Post by Josef »

Kelwin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm As usual, I'm amazed at the clarity of his transmission. Beyond anything. He truly is my Guru in that sense.

And yet, as usual, I'm unsure how to continue in the Dzogchen Community. I practice the Short Tun, have met the small local sangha, and I know the SMS program exists. But really, what is the next step if I truly want to make the jump from my Kagyu/Nyingma background to practicing in the blessing of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche? The lack of structure gives a lot of freedom, but also, well, a lack of structure.

Also, I am somewhat bothered by the fact that I never talked with him, and maybe never will. Not that I have any real questions, it makes it somewhat strange to consider him my Guru.

Any advice? Thank you.
Practice.
Deepening your experience and taking Rinpoches instructions to heart to the best of your ability will fill in those areas of doubt.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Kelwin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm As usual, I'm amazed at the clarity of his transmission. Beyond anything. He truly is my Guru in that sense.

Any advice? Thank you.
Find sth you are interested in. For example yantra yoga, dance of vajra, SMS, Mandarava, anything. :) But be present and do gy and sov every day. :) Maybe small retreat on some semdzin or rushen would help. And do ganapujas even if alone.

Edit: Oh and definetly try to meet him, or attend a retreat with him at least. Maybe try spending some time in Merigar, or do karmayoga for local center, or gar. If you work for dzogchen community you work for him and help develop his vision.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Any advice? Thank you.
SMS is very structured and can give you a longer term focus. It doesn't need to be practiced in the order it is presented afaik and everything there is laid out for the practioners development. The precious vase lists it all. Also, dedicating time for a 1, 2, 3 day or 1 week retreat (or longer )is worthwhile since intensive practice gives you abetter taste of a practice's function. Ultimately it all still boils down to the three statements of Garab Dorje and learning exactly where our limitations and tensions are found.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Any advice? Thank you.
Guruyoga and SOV as much as you can throughout the day...formally as in the Thuns or informally as in just do it whenever, wherever, as much as possible. EVERYTHING else is basically a secondary practice to be practiced as needed. In other words if you have obstacles arising do some Guru Tragpgur or Simhamukha, want to work on your well, whatever, then he has a practice he has given most likely. It is easy to get distracted away from Guruyoga and SOV by all of the really cool secondary practices..I know...that was me until recently...even though he has said NUMEROUS times that the only thing he tells people they need to work on is Guruyoga and SOV. By the way, did I mention Guruyoga and SOV?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Miroku wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm Find sth you are interested in. For example yantra yoga, dance of vajra, SMS, Mandarava, anything. :) But be present and do gy and sov every day. :) Maybe small retreat on some semdzin or rushen would help. And do ganapujas even if alone.
Has ChNNR said that it is better to do a ganapuja instead of thun at home?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 pm
Miroku wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm Find sth you are interested in. For example yantra yoga, dance of vajra, SMS, Mandarava, anything. :) But be present and do gy and sov every day. :) Maybe small retreat on some semdzin or rushen would help. And do ganapujas even if alone.
Everyone does ganapuja on the 10th and 25th days, right?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 pm
Generally, if one is alone one does the full medium thun with protectors instead of ganapuja.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I thought ChNN said we should do it on Full Moon, Guru Rinpoche Day, New Moon, and Dakini Day.
Malcolm wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Generally, if one is alone one does the full medium thun with protectors instead of ganapuja.
:jawdrop:

Can you please explain why?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I stand corrected. Interesting!
aryhan

Post by aryhan »

Greetings.

Does anyone have knowledge regarding work exchange at Tsegyalgar West, or possibly other locations?

My situation is as follows: I'm 22-years-old, with stable and increasing interest in Buddhism, that's been narrowed down further to Dzogchen and Vajrayana during the last year. I've found myself unwilling to apply to universities before I've stabilised mental clarity more - I want to get things (ethically etc.) as right as possible from the beginning, as I'm considering careers in fields such as economics. Thus, work exchange with the possibility to attend teachings and practise during the evenings would be perfect for me in the near future.

However, I lack work experience worthy of much mention - jobs are badly available at my home country and I'm young - and cannot speak Spanish. I could learn the basics in a few months. Does it make any sense to even apply? Are they clearly looking for more skilled people? Any other thoughts on what I could do? Thanks!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I thought ChNN said we should do it on Full Moon, Guru Rinpoche Day, New Moon, and Dakini Day.

Because there is no group (gana) with whom one is making offerings (puja). On the other hand, these days they frequently webcast the ganapujas, so you can just get a little tsogs articles and participate that way.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Because there is no group (gana) with whom one is making offerings (puja). On the other hand, these days they frequently webcast the ganapujas, so you can just get a little tsogs articles and participate that way.
Haha I did not know that either. No wonder I had someone look at me a bit oddly years ago when I was asked how do I practice ganapuja's if there's no community and I said I just do it on my own LOL. In retrospect it's funny I never actually considered this. On the other hand I can't recally any mention that one can't/shouldn't do it by himself either. Is there some problem if you do it by yourself, Malcolm?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

But isn't there always a group when doing a ganapuja, a rather big gathering actually, even if there is only one human.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

heart wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm But isn't there always a group when doing a ganapuja, a rather big gathering actually, even if there is only one human.

/magnus
Good point, but does the 'gana' have to comprise those performing the puja, offerings etc., as opposed to invited beings who are participating and benefiting?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

In the Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja ChNNR says that gana refers to the accumulation of merits.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Doing Ganachakra is best, just not so easy.
Spelare

Post by Spelare »

If I want to dedicate time to reading a Dzogchen text, say a tantra or a terma, does it make sense to integrate that into a thun? If so, at what point in the thun should I do it? The goal I have in mind is that being in the right frame of mind should help me get more out of the text, and also reading certain texts can be an aid to contemplation. Are there any established procedures for this, or is this a matter of individual preference?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Spelare wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 am If I want to dedicate time to reading a Dzogchen text, say a tantra or a terma, does it make sense to integrate that into a thun? If so, at what point in the thun should I do it? The goal I have in mind is that being in the right frame of mind should help me get more out of the text, and also reading certain texts can be an aid to contemplation. Are there any established procedures for this, or is this a matter of individual preference?
don't know, but used to read sutras after guruyoga
i don't see any problem with that
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Aryjna wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 am In the Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja ChNNR says that gana refers to the accumulation of merits.

This is also true, the term gaṇa (tshogs) definitely means a group/grouping of both/either things and beings.

Return to “Dzogchen”