Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Josef

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Josef »

DechenDave wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 pm Hi folks. First post. Periodic lurker. :smile:

First, for anyone celebrating Christmas, Merry Christmas. Hope you and yours are well and happy.

I have 2 questions. Hopefully someone doesn’t mind answering or PMing a response.

1. I have received DI but became involved with the DC long after 2006 when ChNNR apparently gave transmission for the Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) mantra. Is the specific transmission needed if I want to practice with this mantra?

2. I discovered that some of the SS books I have were damaged by negelect/water damage and another one was on a table when I spilled coffee. I feel strong regret for my lack of presence but I feel “off” about them now. Is it weird/wrong to feel I have somehow damaged my connection to these texts or ruined them for use (strange feeling, hard to describe)? If I replace them, what should I do with the old ones?

Thanks much.
Hi Dave,
Merry Christmas to you as well.
1. You do need the transmission of the mantra in order to do the Dorje Kotrab practice.
2. Try not to worry about the books too much. If you want to replace the damaged ones you can respectfully burn the old copies while visualizing the smoke as an offering to the buddhas, bodhisattvas, and all sentient beings. It is very unlikely that you have damaged your connection to the teachings.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

moonbun wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:30 pm
Pero wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 pm But for this book you'd don't need to put in any dates. For the shipping fees, was there only the expensive option? I get three options with different prices but maybe it's different for UK.
I can see it's in stock, but I can't view the descriptions when I click on it while logged in as it has been categorised differently as Leif have said.

As for the shipping fees, it's understandable since I live far away. There's no other shipping option hence the fees for it as seen in the attached picture for example. Meanwhile, the UK shop sends it via Royal Mail with the most secure economical packaging I've ever seen. It took a while to receive, and I'm fine with the wait since it arrived safely.
Ah I see.
Josef wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 pm Yes, when logged-in, https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... 55750.html redirects to https://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/e ... d-products one can't even see the product info, that's the same for all 5 yangti products.
However, I have purchased this book in the past already, it wasn't restricted at that time.
It shouldnt have this additional restriction really, unless restrictions are tightening in general. There isnt much in there that goes beyond what Rinpoche regularly taught openly.
Yeah, maybe it's just a mistake. :shrug:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
DechenDave

Post by DechenDave »

Josef wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:23 pm
DechenDave wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:41 pm Hi folks. First post. Periodic lurker. :smile:

First, for anyone celebrating Christmas, Merry Christmas. Hope you and yours are well and happy.

I have 2 questions. Hopefully someone doesn’t mind answering or PMing a response.

1. I have received DI but became involved with the DC long after 2006 when ChNNR apparently gave transmission for the Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) mantra. Is the specific transmission needed if I want to practice with this mantra?

2. I discovered that some of the SS books I have were damaged by negelect/water damage and another one was on a table when I spilled coffee. I feel strong regret for my lack of presence but I feel “off” about them now. Is it weird/wrong to feel I have somehow damaged my connection to these texts or ruined them for use (strange feeling, hard to describe)? If I replace them, what should I do with the old ones?

Thanks much.
Hi Dave,
1. You do need the transmission of the mantra in order to do the Dorje Kotrab practice.
2. Try not to worry about the books too much. If you want to replace the damaged ones you can respectfully burn the old copies while visualizing the smoke as an offering to the buddhas, bodhisattvas, and all sentient beings. It is very unlikely that you have damaged your connection to the teachings.
Thank you Josef.
Appreciated.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 pm
Josef wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 pm
Lukeinaz wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:02 pm Does anyone know where I can find information regarding Changchub Dorje's tregcho terma?
Which one? He revealed many and ChNN taught from the cycle numerous times.
ChNN had mentioned basically:

"tregcho there is one of the terma teaching of my teacher Changchub Dorje."

And he goes on to say it is a tregcho without the four ...

So I dont know which one exactly.
Probably trekcho from the Black Yangti.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

DechenDave wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 pm
Josef wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks much.
Hi Dave,
Thank you Josef.
Appreciated.
Rinpoche gave the lung of this mantra on almost every retreat he gave, not just in 2006 (that was maybe when he actually taught the practice).
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 pm
Josef wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Which one? He revealed many and ChNN taught from the cycle numerous times.

The Tögal retreat I participated in was on a terma by Changchub Dorje that contained both Rushan, Trechö and Tögal. Rinpoche said he gave the Trechö part several times before. So, more likely it is from this text.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:11 am
Pero wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 pm

The Tögal retreat I participated in was on a terma by Changchub Dorje that contained both Rushan, Trechö and Tögal. Rinpoche said he gave the Trechö part several times before. So, more likely it is from this text.

/magnus
Yeah, that's the same one.
- Shabkar
Moha

Post by Moha »

The webcast site seems to be down ... Is it working for anyone?
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 pm The webcast site seems to be down ... Is it working for anyone?
I got a security warning and when I bypassed it, a 404 error.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Moha

Post by Moha »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm
Ignorant_Fool wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 pm The webcast site seems to be down ... Is it working for anyone?
I got a security warning and when I bypassed it, a 404 error.

DS
Same here ... Doesn't seem like it's something they'll be able to resolve quickly.

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Insecure Connection problem. Adding exception changes it into a 404.
Weird that. No such thing yesterday...
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
treehuggingoctopus

Edmond Jabès
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Anyone has white a with tigle and longsal symbol images in good quality?
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

What are the implications of just receiving a mantra from a practice, but not the full lung. Rinpoche seemed to quite often transmit a few mantras independently from the full practice.

in particular, this time last year at the Dzamling Gar Ati Yoga retreat. Rinpoche gave transmitted the three main Jnanadakini mantras. Does this enable one to do the full practice? Just to recite the mantra? To do an essential version of the practice where you just manifest, then recite the mantra? And how would that relate to the current Gomadevi retreat, from what I understand the mantras are the same.

Any one have any knowledge on this?
Moha

Post by Moha »

I've been told by someone from the ShangShung site that having received the three Jñanadakini mantras allows one access to Gomadevi practices but I can't be sure to what extent. I'm not sure who will be able to confirm this at this point.

Also, the Jñanadakini mantras are similar but not the same as the Gomadevi ones.
dharmafootsteps wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:28 pm What are the implications of just receiving a mantra from a practice, but not the full lung. Rinpoche seemed to quite often transmit a few mantras independently from the full practice.

in particular, this time last year at the Dzamling Gar Ati Yoga retreat. Rinpoche gave transmitted the three main Jnanadakini mantras. Does this enable one to do the full practice? Just to recite the mantra? To do an essential version of the practice where you just manifest, then recite the mantra? And how would that relate to the current Gomadevi retreat, from what I understand the mantras are the same.

Any one have any knowledge on this?
moonbun

Post by moonbun »

It seems like the Italy shop has updated the classification of the Teachings of Shitro and Yangti book as I can now view it's description. Upon clicking, the page displays this now: "Please be sure that you have received the teachings and transmissions corresponding to this product." Nice.

Speaking of books, I got interested in the Practice of Tibetan Kunye Massage book I saw in the UK shop. Is it difficult to learn, and apply the techniques from it to another person? I was thinking of getting that, and the Practice of Guru Medicine Buddha booklet to help with my mum, and aunt's pain management. It's too bad there's no ebook versions of it available.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Yeah Gomadevi and Jnanadakini (Thugthig) are not the same practice. Rinpoche gave the Thugthig mantra. In the retreats I attended Rinpoche never gave all the Gomadevi mantras, just the first one. When you're practicing by yourself I don't think you can do the other two mantras.
- Shabkar
treehuggingoctopus

Pero wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 pm Yeah Gomadevi and Jnanadakini (Thugthig) are not the same practice. Rinpoche gave the Thugthig mantra. In the retreats I attended Rinpoche never gave all the Gomadevi mantras, just the first one. When you're practicing by yourself I don't think you can do the other two mantras.
However, if you have ever received a Jnanadakini or Gomadevi donwang (or the Longsal rot initiation) from Rinpoche, you can practice any of the Longsal Jnanadakini, Gomadevi and Guhyajnana sadhanas, no matter what length, whether you have received the appropriate lung or not. I wrote about it to Rinpoche and received an unambiguous answer.

Edmond Jabès
Pero

Post by Pero »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm
Pero wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 pm Yeah Gomadevi and Jnanadakini (Thugthig) are not the same practice. Rinpoche gave the Thugthig mantra. In the retreats I attended Rinpoche never gave all the Gomadevi mantras, just the first one. When you're practicing by yourself I don't think you can do the other two mantras.
However, if you have ever received a Jnanadakini or Gomadevi donwang (or the Longsal rot initiation) from Rinpoche, you can practice any of the Longsal Jnanadakini, Gomadevi and Guhyajnana sadhanas, no matter what length, whether you have received the appropriate lung or not. I wrote about it to Rinpoche and received an unambiguous answer.
Wow really? I had no idea. Thank you! :smile:
- Shabkar
treehuggingoctopus

Pero wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:17 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm
Wow really? I had no idea. Thank you! :smile:
Welcome :-) . To be exact, my situation is that I have received the Jnanadakini donwang twice, and the lung for the long Nirmanakaya Jnanadakini sadhana. I have also got the lung for short and medium Gomadevi (not long, though), and Buddha knows which Thugthig. In September 2017 I described my situation and asked whether it is OK to practice long Gomadevi, Jnanadakini Thugthig and Guhyajnana. Rinpoche said yes, if you feel like it, you may try.

And it resonates with what was specified as the requirement to participate in Enzo Terzano's and Steven Landsberg's Jnanadakini/Gomadevi retreats: the leaflets said that what you need to have received is either the DI + lung or the Jnanadakini/Gomadevi donwang.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Dzogchen”