Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Vasana

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Vasana »

Aryjna wrote:Is there a DC book where there are general instructions given on visualization? In 'Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light' there are a few tips about that specific visualization, but I was wondering if more detailed explanations and advice are given elsewhere, that can be applied in different practices.
In terms of visualization as per the Anu-Yoga practices Rinpoche often gives transmission for, I'm not sure if there's a single teaching /book on that topic [?] but you can piece together a more complete view when reading the principles outlayed in the various books for the specific Anu-Yoga practices. This is easier at a Gar or Ling.

'Creation and Completion' and 'The elements of Tantric Practic'e by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche are also good places to learn about the context and purpose of visualization practices.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Vasana wrote:
Aryjna wrote:Is there a DC book where there are general instructions given on visualization? In 'Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light' there are a few tips about that specific visualization, but I was wondering if more detailed explanations and advice are given elsewhere, that can be applied in different practices.
In terms of visualization as per the Anu-Yoga practices Rinpoche often gives transmission for, I'm not sure if there's a single teaching /book on that topic [?] but you can piece together a more complete view when reading the principles outlayed in the various books for the specific Anu-Yoga practices. This is easier at a Gar or Ling.

'Creation and Completion' and 'The elements of Tantric Practic'e by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche are also good places to learn about the context and purpose of visualization practices.
I am mostly interested in practical instructions and tips on how to visualize, not background information, meaning, etc. How to avoid common problems, and things like that.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Aryjna wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 pm
Vasana wrote:

I am mostly interested in practical instructions and tips on how to visualize, not background information, meaning, etc. How to avoid common problems, and things like that.
Fair enough.I wouldn't say those books were merely background information though so have a skim through if you ever see them. Maybe some others here might know of any of Rinpoche's writings that speak on the practical elements of visualization.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Vasana wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm
Aryjna wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 pm
Vasana wrote:

Fair enough.I wouldn't say those books were merely background information though so have a skim through if you ever see them. Maybe some others here might know of any of Rinpoche's writings that speak on the practical elements of visualization.
Thanks. I will read any books related to practices that I receive anyway, but that may be a long time from now, given that there is not going to be another retreat for at least several months apparently.
pael

Post by pael »

What ChNN thinks about Dzogchen of Bön? Is practicing it compatible with practicing his teachings?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Josef

Post by Josef »

pael wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm What ChNN thinks about Dzogchen of Bön? Is practicing it compatible with practicing his teachings?
Yes, they are compatible
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
karma_lodro

Post by karma_lodro »

:namaste: everyone. I have a question that I think some of the people frequenting this thread might be able to help me with.

Long story short, I would very much like to meet ChNNR in person, and receive the direct introduction.

It looks like the next event, where he will be giving the DI, is the world-wide transmission on the anniversary of Adzom Drugpa. I do not know, however, whether receiving it in person is as simple as travelling to Tenerife and showing up at Dzamling Gar on the morning of November 13.

I have written to the Secretary of Dzamling Gar through a form on their website, but I have not heard back from them, yet. In the meantime - perhaps someone in here can enlighten me? :smile:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

karma_lodro wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm :namaste: everyone. I have a question that I think some of the people frequenting this thread might be able to help me with.

Long story short, I would very much like to meet ChNNR in person, and receive the direct introduction.

It looks like the next event, where he will be giving the DI, is the world-wide transmission on the anniversary of Adzom Drugpa. I do not know, however, whether receiving it in person is as simple as travelling to Tenerife and showing up at Dzamling Gar on the morning of November 13.

I have written to the Secretary of Dzamling Gar through a form on their website, but I have not heard back from them, yet. In the meantime - perhaps someone in here can enlighten me? :smile:
Yes it should be. AFAIK Dzamlingar is always open for new people to come (at least during the retreats and etc)
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

karma_lodro wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm :namaste: everyone. I have a question that I think some of the people frequenting this thread might be able to help me with.

You know that you do not have to be there in person, right? WWTs are webcasted, and you can perfectly well receive DI at home. I entirely understand your need but going there is no guarantee that you will actually get to see Rinpoche in person.

The WWT that took place in Tenerife in March 2013 (during a Mandarava retreat) was given from Rinpoche's home. ChNN was feeling under the weather at the time, and it was decided that he would not come to the venue. Although we were there, we watched him transmit the state of Guru Yoga the same way everybody else did, on-screen.
Miroku wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pmYes it should be. AFAIK Dzamlingar is always open for new people to come (at least during the retreats and etc)
There is no retreat scheduled for November. I would not assume anybody can turn up there in person and be admitted. For all we know, there may be no WWT event with Rinpoche in person at all.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

There is no retreat scheduled for November. I would not assume anybody can turn up there in person and be admitted. For all we know, there may be no WWT event with Rinpoche in person at all.
Any member of the DC can go to any gar any time.
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Sure enough. Unless the geko is very busy or out and no one else is home, etc. But what I meant was that there is no guarantee a person will be admitted to the place from which Rinpoche will be giving transmission in person.

Edmond Jabès
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Sure enough. Unless the geko is very busy or out and no one else is home, etc. But what I meant was that there is no guarantee a person will be admitted to the place from which Rinpoche will be giving transmission in person.
Right now there are several of my friends, anybody can come there for the event of transmission, there will also be collective ganapuja. There are quite a few people at any time, provided of course that Rinpoche is at DZg, but even when he was in Merigar, Geko and the members of gakyil were there as well several other people.

Edit: Also Rinpoche comes to caffeteria more or less every afternoon to be with people, so anyone can meet him there.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Long life to your teacher!!!
Several weeks ago Chögyal Namkhai Norbu returned to Dzamling Gar to continue resting. Compared to this summer his general health conditions are greatly improved.
http://melong.com/chnn-health-update/
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 am Long life to your teacher!!!
Several weeks ago Chögyal Namkhai Norbu returned to Dzamling Gar to continue resting. Compared to this summer his general health conditions are greatly improved.
http://melong.com/chnn-health-update/
It is very nice to see that his health has been improving over the past few months. And indeed, may he live very long!
treehuggingoctopus

:heart:

Edmond Jabès
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Can anyone give me any guidance as to holds times for vajra breathing. I've got a few books with descriptions of it, but the guidance for timing is just 'long' or 'slow'. Does anyone have any approximate timing suggestions? Should the inhale and exhale be equally long? Should I be training to gradually increase the holds over time, as in some of the yantra yoga pranayamas?

I'm practicing it both in the context of the medium thun and as a standalone practice to help with rlung.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm Can anyone give me any guidance as to holds times for vajra breathing. I've got a few books with descriptions of it, but the guidance for timing is just 'long' or 'slow'. Does anyone have any approximate timing suggestions? Should the inhale and exhale be equally long? Should I be training to gradually increase the holds over time, as in some of the yantra yoga pranayamas?

I'm practicing it both in the context of the medium thun and as a standalone practice to help with rlung.
Can you tell me which books have the descriptions? I also want to learn more about it, as the instructions in the Guruyoga book are quite unclear and I have not found a more detailed description in any of the other DC books I have read so far.
dharmafootsteps

Aryjna wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm Can you tell me which books have the descriptions? I also want to learn more about it, as the instructions in the Guruyoga book are quite unclear and I have not found a more detailed description in any of the other DC books I have read so far.
Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja has a bit more detail than the Guruyoga book, still not extensive but enough to do the practice.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm
Aryjna wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm Can you tell me which books have the descriptions? I also want to learn more about it, as the instructions in the Guruyoga book are quite unclear and I have not found a more detailed description in any of the other DC books I have read so far.
Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja has a bit more detail than the Guruyoga book, still not extensive but enough to do the practice.
Thanks, I haven't read it yet. You can email one of the SMS teachers to ask specific questions. Maybe contact your nearest DC, or one that you have visited before, and they can probably tell you of a specific teacher that is available to answer over email.
dharmafootsteps

Aryjna wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:28 pm Thanks, I haven't read it yet. You can email one of the SMS teachers to ask specific questions. Maybe contact your nearest DC, or one that you have visited before, and they can probably tell you of a specific teacher that is available to answer over email.
Good idea, thanks. I live in Kathmandu just now, so there are no DC centres nearby unfortunately. I'll try to contact an instructor though.

Return to “Dzogchen”