Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Mantrik »

Well. I read it, becuase my Guru asked me to.
A few sentences from ChNN about his position and the relevance of this relative would have given us adequate guidance, I believe.

Maybe it is a matter of ChNN wanting us to understand his place in the unfolding history of practice.
(It can't be driven by lack of sales as the copies sold out very fast on Amazon, as stocks were obviously not high.)

I spent decades with academics in various institutions.
I have no interest in studying what surrounds any practice in a depth greater than that which enables me to perform it better.
This book was informative but I failed to maintain interest, which I admit is my own fault.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Pero

Post by Pero »

Fa Dao wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:02 pm oh ok...well thats cool..if he thinks its a good read..good enough for me
All that stuff aside, I enjoyed it. The descriptions of how some termas were revealed was really interesting.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Mantrik: I remember the same reaction the last time I tried reading it. I'm checking it out from the library again, we'll see how I fare this time.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Wish I could read it. It sucks being poor. :lol:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Miroku wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:37 pm Wish I could read it. It sucks being poor. :lol:
I just got it for less than 10 euro on google books. Good links in Norbunet.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Miroku wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:37 pm Wish I could read it. It sucks being poor. :lol:
No idea where you are but.. .
Do you have a library that can do inter library loans or a similar program? I read probably half my Dharma books this way, and they have gotten everything I have ever asked for, books on tantra, Dzogchen etc..
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Pero wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm
heart wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 pm
It is a very interesting book. Also, I recently read "The Life and Times of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö" where one gets to hear "the other side" of the story of how come Khyentse Chökyi Wangchug left Dzongsar and Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö moved in at Dzongsar.

/magnus
Wish you hadn't mentioned that. I took a look and now just feel more disgusted with tulku businesses.
pg. 27: "The two tulkus retained their pure spirit."

We have to look beyond drama created by others.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Aryjna wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am
csmorg96 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:23 am Does any one have any info about the upcoming Ati Yoga retreat at Dzamling Gar this December? The website does seem to have any other information about the retreat outside of the date.
I also want to know, mostly about the drubchen. According to the calendar, it will be combined with the losar celebration, but two weeks seems very long. Is there some information from previous years about what to expect more or less? I am not sure it will be possible to attend the whole two-week event.
The previous Mandarava drubchen lasted for two weeks. The first days Rinpoche gave some explanations of the practices at the beginning, and as the retreat advanced it was more and more focused on practice. There were two daily sessions with Rinpoche, plus a group doing practice 24 hours (in shifts) for the whole retreat.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Hansei wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:40 am
csmorg96 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:23 am Does any one have any info about the upcoming Ati Yoga retreat at Dzamling Gar this December? The website does seem to have any other information about the retreat outside of the date.
I also want to know, mostly about the drubchen. According to the calendar, it will be combined with the losar celebration, but two weeks seems very long. Is there some information from previous years about what to expect more or less? I am not sure it will be possible to attend the whole two-week event.
The previous Mandarava drubchen lasted for two weeks. The first days Rinpoche gave some explanations of the practices at the beginning, and as the retreat advanced it was more and more focused on practice. There were two daily sessions with Rinpoche, plus a group doing practice 24 hours (in shifts) for the whole retreat.
On the one hand it is good that it is two weeks of practice. On the other hand it doesn't look like there is a way to stay in Tenerife for more than a few days without paying a large amount of money on accommodation. Judging by the website, various hotels which add up to being extremely expensive, seem to be the only options.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:13 am

On the one hand it is good that it is two weeks of practice. On the other hand it doesn't look like there is a way to stay in Tenerife for more than a few days without paying a large amount of money on accommodation. Judging by the website, various hotels which add up to being extremely expensive, seem to be the only options.
South Tenerife has many places one can rent for cheap, such as small apartments or similar, but you should try to book these as early as possible since they are very popular for tourists and also those who wants to spend some time in Dzamling Gar. It's very affordable if you spend some time and look around a little. Of course, it depends on what's available, but this is the way to do it if you want to save some money.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:21 am

South Tenerife has many places one can rent for cheap, such as small apartments or similar, but you should try to book these as early as possible since they are very popular for tourists and also those who wants to spend some time in Dzamling Gar. It's very affordable if you spend some time and look around a little. Of course, it depends on what's available, but this is the way to do it if you want to save some money.
Thanks. I just joined the facebook group for finding accommodation in Tenerife.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:30 am

Check out Airbnb as well, and so on, but yes dig around on the Dzamling Gar related accommodation group, and be aware that there can be scammers out there too... I have read a couple of stories of unlucky people who lost their money that way, and that's never fun. Good luck.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am
Check out Airbnb as well, and so on, but yes dig around on the Dzamling Gar related accommodation group, and be aware that there can be scammers out there too... I have read a couple of stories of unlucky people who lost their money that way, and that's never fun. Good luck.
Do you mean scammers on the dzamling gar facebook? Or in general?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:59 am

I don't know about the Dzamling Gar facebook page (I would think it's fine), but I meant in general. As in you find some apartment that looks good and then it's actually too good to be true. Search trusted channels/markets, and make sure that the sources are legit, usually this means they have positive reviews on Airbnb or similar, etc. That's how I did it with the apartment I rented last time I went to Tenerife.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 am
Aryjna wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:59 am
I don't know about the Dzamling Gar facebook page (I would think it's fine), but I meant in general. As in you find some apartment that looks good and then it's actually too good to be true. Search trusted channels/markets, and make sure that the sources are legit, usually this means they have positive reviews on Airbnb or similar, etc. That's how I did it with the apartment I rented last time I went to Tenerife.
Thanks. Airbnb is a good idea, I've used it many times, not in Tenerife of course, and it should be safe.
heart

Post by heart »

kirtu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 pm
Pero wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 pm
heart wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 pm

It is a very interesting book. Also, I recently read "The Life and Times of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö" where one gets to hear "the other side" of the story of how come Khyentse Chökyi Wangchug left Dzongsar and Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö moved in at Dzongsar.

/magnus
Wish you hadn't mentioned that. I took a look and now just feel more disgusted with tulku businesses.
pg. 27: "The two tulkus retained their pure spirit."

We have to look beyond drama created by others.

Kirt

Yes, I would say that that is the heart of the matter.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
DannyDevitoFan

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

Another question has come up. I understand that prior to Worldwide Transmission it is recommended that one attends an explanation at a local gar. Would this also be the case for viewing the Ati Yoga retreat via webcast? Will local gars host explanations of the Ati Yoga teachings?
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

csmorg96 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:21 pm
Another question has come up. I understand that prior to Worldwide Transmission it is recommended that one attends an explanation at a local gar. Would this also be the case for viewing the Ati Yoga retreat via webcast? Will local gars host explanations of the Ati Yoga teachings?
If this Ati Yoga retreat is as I imagine, you don't need any previous explanation to attend or follow the webcast. The retreat itself would be the explanation of the Ati Yoga teachings.

Previous retreats named "Ati Yoga Retreat" or "Ati Yoga Teachings" have been like that.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Is anyone aware of any recordings of Rinpoche giving talks/teachings in Tibetan?
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:21 am Is anyone aware of any recordings of Rinpoche giving talks/teachings in Tibetan?

Return to “Dzogchen”