Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

LolCat

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by LolCat »

meepits wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am 2017 straight up sucked.
I got the same app for the same reason, but tuned out a bit right away because 2018 is supposed to be a bad year for me. Unless there’s a way to reverse that, it makes me want to put my energy into rigpa instead of wondering how 2018 could be worse than 2017.
I haven't read the book yet myself, but the Four Methods of Development deals with this very topic I think. Perhaps someone who has read the book can comment on this.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

LolCat wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 am
meepits wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am 2017 straight up sucked.
I got the same app for the same reason, but tuned out a bit right away because 2018 is supposed to be a bad year for me. Unless there’s a way to reverse that, it makes me want to put my energy into rigpa instead of wondering how 2018 could be worse than 2017.
I haven't read the book yet myself, but the Four Methods of Development deals with this very topic I think. Perhaps someone who has read the book can comment on this.
The Four Methods of Development helps very much with that. Also lungtas, and having a namkha and empowering it regularly.
meepits

Post by meepits »

Thanks folks, I’ll check that
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm
LolCat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm I remember reading that every meal should be a Ganapuja, that is what sparked my question.

You can accomplish that merely by reciting om ah hum over your food and then seeing it as the five meats and five nectars. No need to get meat or booze.
Thank you!
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
meepits

Post by meepits »

In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Gracias for pointers, friends.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?
The Cycle of Day and Night has some and An Intorduction to the Practice of Contemplation has more detailed.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

meepits wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Look in to the rupa-kayas.
The cessation of karmic traces in Mahayana is not the same as the cessation of the shravakas and pratekyabuddhas. The two obscurations are permanently extinguished but the illusion-like rupakayas continue to benefit illusion-like beings, beyond subject, object and activity.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Miroku wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?
The Cycle of Day and Night has some and An Intorduction to the Practice of Contemplation has more detailed.
Mm i don't have yet the second text. Thanks!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
meepits

Post by meepits »

Vasana wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm
meepits wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Look in to the rupa-kayas.
The cessation of karmic traces in Mahayana is not the same as the cessation of the shravakas and pratekyabuddhas. The two obscurations are permanently extinguished but the illusion-like rupakayas continue to benefit illusion-like beings, beyond subject, object and activity.
Thanks, will do
Motova

Post by Motova »

Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Motova wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
I don't think so.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Hansei wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Motova wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
I don't think so.
But he said one can cure auditory and visual hallucinations with shine, didn't he? I also remember him saying that one needs to relax more if one is experiencing these phenomenon.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Motova wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm
I don't think so.
But he said one can cure auditory and visual hallucinations with shine, didn't he? I also remember him saying that one needs to relax more if one is experiencing these phenomenon.
I didn't see the webcast refered to but,
Rinpoche always speaks about working with circumstances and knowing our limitations. Schizophrenia, auditory and visual hallucinations are not experienced in the same way by any two people.

It might be the case that for some people in certain circumstances and at certain times that shiné helps but for other people with different circumstances and at others times it may not help. There are people who may find shiné or vippassana actually exascerbate underlying mental health issues so there's really no absolute statement or treatment for conditions that are complex by nature.

Bear in mind that in the buddhist tradition, shiné can act as a secondary condition that brings about various nyams or meditative experiences. Someone with an odd mental condition might experience nyams in a different way to someone without that condition. My main point here is that it's not sensible to draw absolute conclusions from relative and circumstance-dependent statements. 1 person may benefit from shiné and another may not in that moment of time.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Motova

Post by Motova »

Vasana wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm
Motova wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I don't think so.
I didn't see the webcast refered to but,
Rinpoche always speaks about working with circumstances and knowing our limitations. Schizophrenia, auditory and visual hallucinations are not experienced in the same way by any two people.

It might be the case that for some people in certain circumstances and at certain times that shiné helps but for other people with different circumstances and at others times it may not help. There are people who may find shiné or vippassana actually exascerbate underlying mental health issues so there's really no absolute statement or treatment for conditions that are complex by nature.

Bear in mind that in the buddhist tradition, shiné can act as a secondary condition that brings about various nyams or meditative experiences. Someone with an odd mental condition might experience nyams in a different way to someone without that condition. My main point here is that it's not sensible to draw absolute conclusions from relative and circumstance-dependent statements. 1 person may benefit from shiné and another may not in that moment of time.
Thank you, that makes sense.
DannyDevitoFan

Post by DannyDevitoFan »

Are the 9 breathings typically explained at gars/lings during WWT explanations?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

csmorg96 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm Are the 9 breathings typically explained at gars/lings during WWT explanations?
Yes, 9 breathings are part of the practice so they are. Also they are very good for helping coordinate energy and can help you relax a bit and strengthen health.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

I did a search at the SSI store and came up with a recording called Guru Yoga of the White A. Does anyone know if that contains the words and melody for the Invocation?
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Jeff H wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

I did a search at the SSI store and came up with a recording called Guru Yoga of the White A. Does anyone know if that contains the words and melody for the Invocation?
Yes and yes.

I believe the Q generally corresponds to cha and X to zha.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm
Jeff H wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

Yes and yes.

I believe the Q generally corresponds to cha and X to zha.
Ok thanks. I ordered the mp3.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva

Return to “Dzogchen”