Page 258 of 301

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 am
by LolCat
meepits wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am
2017 straight up sucked.
I got the same app for the same reason, but tuned out a bit right away because 2018 is supposed to be a bad year for me. Unless there’s a way to reverse that, it makes me want to put my energy into rigpa instead of wondering how 2018 could be worse than 2017.
I haven't read the book yet myself, but the Four Methods of Development deals with this very topic I think. Perhaps someone who has read the book can comment on this.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 pm
by Hansei
LolCat wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 am
meepits wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am
2017 straight up sucked.
I got the same app for the same reason, but tuned out a bit right away because 2018 is supposed to be a bad year for me. Unless there’s a way to reverse that, it makes me want to put my energy into rigpa instead of wondering how 2018 could be worse than 2017.
I haven't read the book yet myself, but the Four Methods of Development deals with this very topic I think. Perhaps someone who has read the book can comment on this.
The Four Methods of Development helps very much with that. Also lungtas, and having a namkha and empowering it regularly.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm
by meepits
Thanks folks, I’ll check that

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm
by javier.espinoza.t
is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm
by climb-up
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm
LolCat wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm
I remember reading that every meal should be a Ganapuja, that is what sparked my question.

You can accomplish that merely by reciting om ah hum over your food and then seeing it as the five meats and five nectars. No need to get meat or booze.
Thank you!

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am
by meepits
In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Gracias for pointers, friends.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
by Miroku
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm
is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?
The Cycle of Day and Night has some and An Intorduction to the Practice of Contemplation has more detailed.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm
by Vasana
meepits wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am
In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Gracias for pointers, friends.
Look in to the rupa-kayas.
The cessation of karmic traces in Mahayana is not the same as the cessation of the shravakas and pratekyabuddhas. The two obscurations are permanently extinguished but the illusion-like rupakayas continue to benefit illusion-like beings, beyond subject, object and activity.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:37 pm
by javier.espinoza.t
Miroku wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm
is there a text called Namkha Arted or any other that explains the how-to space gazing-integration?
The Cycle of Day and Night has some and An Intorduction to the Practice of Contemplation has more detailed.
Mm i don't have yet the second text. Thanks!

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm
by meepits
Vasana wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm
meepits wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am
In The Crystal & Way of Light, ChNN describes total realization in familiar dzogchen terms, talking about complete freedom, perfect wisdom, supreme unending bliss, and the ability to spontaneously benefit all beings “in a multiplicity of modes.” But this is relative language, right? Total realization looked at non-dually basically means ‘realized’ nonexistence? All karmic traces are exhausted, the self was always just an illusion, and nothing really remains. No?

Gracias for pointers, friends.
Look in to the rupa-kayas.
The cessation of karmic traces in Mahayana is not the same as the cessation of the shravakas and pratekyabuddhas. The two obscurations are permanently extinguished but the illusion-like rupakayas continue to benefit illusion-like beings, beyond subject, object and activity.
Thanks, will do

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm
by Motova
Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm
by Hansei
Motova wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm
Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
I don't think so.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm
by Motova
Hansei wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Motova wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm
Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
I don't think so.
But he said one can cure auditory and visual hallucinations with shine, didn't he? I also remember him saying that one needs to relax more if one is experiencing these phenomenon.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm
by Vasana
Motova wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm
Hansei wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Motova wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm
Was Rinpoche saying one can cure schizophrenia with shine?
I don't think so.
But he said one can cure auditory and visual hallucinations with shine, didn't he? I also remember him saying that one needs to relax more if one is experiencing these phenomenon.
I didn't see the webcast refered to but,
Rinpoche always speaks about working with circumstances and knowing our limitations. Schizophrenia, auditory and visual hallucinations are not experienced in the same way by any two people.

It might be the case that for some people in certain circumstances and at certain times that shiné helps but for other people with different circumstances and at others times it may not help. There are people who may find shiné or vippassana actually exascerbate underlying mental health issues so there's really no absolute statement or treatment for conditions that are complex by nature.

Bear in mind that in the buddhist tradition, shiné can act as a secondary condition that brings about various nyams or meditative experiences. Someone with an odd mental condition might experience nyams in a different way to someone without that condition. My main point here is that it's not sensible to draw absolute conclusions from relative and circumstance-dependent statements. 1 person may benefit from shiné and another may not in that moment of time.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm
by Motova
Vasana wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm
Motova wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm
Hansei wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm


I don't think so.
But he said one can cure auditory and visual hallucinations with shine, didn't he? I also remember him saying that one needs to relax more if one is experiencing these phenomenon.
I didn't see the webcast refered to but,
Rinpoche always speaks about working with circumstances and knowing our limitations. Schizophrenia, auditory and visual hallucinations are not experienced in the same way by any two people.

It might be the case that for some people in certain circumstances and at certain times that shiné helps but for other people with different circumstances and at others times it may not help. There are people who may find shiné or vippassana actually exascerbate underlying mental health issues so there's really no absolute statement or treatment for conditions that are complex by nature.

Bear in mind that in the buddhist tradition, shiné can act as a secondary condition that brings about various nyams or meditative experiences. Someone with an odd mental condition might experience nyams in a different way to someone without that condition. My main point here is that it's not sensible to draw absolute conclusions from relative and circumstance-dependent statements. 1 person may benefit from shiné and another may not in that moment of time.
Thank you, that makes sense.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm
by csmorg96
Are the 9 breathings typically explained at gars/lings during WWT explanations?

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:13 pm
by Miroku
csmorg96 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm
Are the 9 breathings typically explained at gars/lings during WWT explanations?
Yes, 9 breathings are part of the practice so they are. Also they are very good for helping coordinate energy and can help you relax a bit and strengthen health.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm
by Jeff H
I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

I did a search at the SSI store and came up with a recording called Guru Yoga of the White A. Does anyone know if that contains the words and melody for the Invocation?

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm
by Lukeinaz
Jeff H wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm
I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

I did a search at the SSI store and came up with a recording called Guru Yoga of the White A. Does anyone know if that contains the words and melody for the Invocation?
Yes and yes.

I believe the Q generally corresponds to cha and X to zha.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm
by Jeff H
Lukeinaz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 pm
Jeff H wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm
I want to prepare for the WWT on Thursday, but I can't find a pronunciation guide for the Invocation of Garab Dorje. In particular, the Qs don't seem to be transliterations of Tibetan. So first, is the Invocation in Tibetan?

I did a search at the SSI store and came up with a recording called Guru Yoga of the White A. Does anyone know if that contains the words and melody for the Invocation?
Yes and yes.

I believe the Q generally corresponds to cha and X to zha.
Ok thanks. I ordered the mp3.