Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

climb-up
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by climb-up » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:28 pm

I mean, come on.
I don't have the money for a lot of the products I would like, but why would I expect them to be free?
They take time, energy, (woman and) manpower and money to produce, host and distribute. If they are given away for no charge that doesn't mean they are free, it means that we are expecting rinpoche, or the people running the e-stores, to pay for us.

And that's on top of the teachings being broadcast for free. How many teachers in the past required huge offerings of gold, or of everything a student possessed even, before giving teachings?
How many would only teach those willing (and even able!) to visit them personally wherever they are and stay with them long term.

Hansei
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Hansei » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:29 pm

By any chance does anyone know when was the transmission given for the teachings of the book The Yoga of Prana for Clarity and Emptiness?

I can't see it in this list, but I notice there are some retreats missing (like Thögal in Tenerife in 2014).

Was it included in the last Tsalung retreat?

moonbun
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Pardon me, if one is going to purchase the Chod book, does one need to buy the Chod mp3 with the explanation, and practice too? Are the Chod book, and the mp4 practice video enough to learn from?

Motova
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Motova » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Hansei wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:29 pm
By any chance does anyone know when was the transmission given for the teachings of the book The Yoga of Prana for Clarity and Emptiness?

I can't see it in this list, but I notice there are some retreats missing (like Thögal in Tenerife in 2014).

Was it included in the last Tsalung retreat?
I forget, but I am pretty sure it was given... it might have been the Yantra Yoga Pranayama retreat, Longde retreat, or that retreat when I think Rinpoche taught a tantra... If I remember correctly I asked on Vajracakra if I had transmission for that and Malcolm said I did... so I bet Malcolm knows when it was given....
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Norwegian
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Norwegian » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Hansei wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:29 pm
By any chance does anyone know when was the transmission given for the teachings of the book The Yoga of Prana for Clarity and Emptiness?

I can't see it in this list, but I notice there are some retreats missing (like Thögal in Tenerife in 2014).

Was it included in the last Tsalung retreat?
The transmission of Longsal Saltong Lung was given in 2005 or so, during Margarita Island retreat.

climb-up
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by climb-up » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm

moonbun wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 pm
Pardon me, if one is going to purchase the Chod book, does one need to buy the Chod mp3 with the explanation, and practice too? Are the Chod book, and the mp4 practice video enough to learn from?
If you are getting the Mp4 I think youre fine.
The book contains an explanation of the practice, and the text itself, but you (obviously) don't hear the melody. If you have the MP4 you can, presumably, follow along in the same way as the mp3 (might be even better because you can see the drum and bell).

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Aryjna » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 pm

You can also get the practice only mp3 which costs less than 2 euros. It is much easier to have the audio in one mp3 rather than having to open the mp4 and search in there for the practice.

moonbun
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Good points. Thank you for the advice, climb-up and Aryjna.

User avatar
mechashivaz
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by mechashivaz » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 pm

climb-up wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm
moonbun wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 pm
Pardon me, if one is going to purchase the Chod book, does one need to buy the Chod mp3 with the explanation, and practice too? Are the Chod book, and the mp4 practice video enough to learn from?
If you are getting the Mp4 I think youre fine.
The book contains an explanation of the practice, and the text itself, but you (obviously) don't hear the melody. If you have the MP4 you can, presumably, follow along in the same way as the mp3 (might be even better because you can see the drum and bell).
I second this. I originally recieved empowerment and learned this Chod practice thru Lama Allione and her VERY comprehensive tutorial, tho the price tag is a bit high, it offers very detailed video explanations. Watching Rinpoche perform the practice, imo, is priceless.

Hansei
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Hansei » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Motova wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 pm
I forget, but I am pretty sure it was given... it might have been the Yantra Yoga Pranayama retreat, Longde retreat, or that retreat when I think Rinpoche taught a tantra... If I remember correctly I asked on Vajracakra if I had transmission for that and Malcolm said I did... so I bet Malcolm knows when it was given....
Norwegian wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm
The transmission of Longsal Saltong Lung was given in 2005 or so, during Margarita Island retreat.
Thanks :smile:

oldbob
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oldbob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm

:namaste:

Further thoughts on equal access to the Teachings.

http://melong.com/jin-dag-generosity-in-action/

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it [Buddhism] started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

This truth has been applied to the retreat broadcasts, but not to the Shang Shung Publications (SSP) media.

Of course there are expenses that have to be met, and everyone should generously support SSP. Without money you can’t do anything in the world of red dust.

Perhaps,

• how the money is raised matters.

• for poor people it is not so easy to have access to the SSP Teachings.

• the income from the hard copy books, cds, dvds, etc. could cover the expenses for the lower cost e-products.

• a charitable endowment could be set up to allow the e-products to be without cost or very low cost.

• the endowment could be set up through encouraging both direct and legacy gifting for this purpose.

• the yearly cost of preparing the e-products could be calculated and the free e-products started when the yearly interest from the endowment covers the yearly costs.

Then generosity-in-action would be equally applied to everyone who is interested in the Teachings as available in the e-products of SSP. Then there would be no hierarchy of access to the Teachings based on money.

Old age, sickness and death - who can escape?

Imputing that Rinpoche's sickness is caused by people not being thankful enough, and then “causing problems”, is just silly, or could be just an unabashed use of a false-fact for the shameful purpose of partisan political social engineering.

Example: I heard of one poor fellow that they spread a false-fact rumor about, at Merigar, saying that he was retired from the “nefarious” US CIA rather than the prestigious US Foreign Service. Perhaps many people of Merigar still believe this slanderous false-fact to this day. This may seem like a small and innocent humorous slander, but perhaps it wasn’t for the person involved. Perhaps this “false-fact” put off many people. Perhaps it sincerely damaged his reputation and hence his social standing in the Community.

This is one small example of past Machiavellian social engineering through the spreading of false-facts that harmed the DC in the past. There were many, against many people. This “cutting the feet / reputation” “slander by false-fact innuendo was the standard of social practice for many years in the shark tank of Merigar. I believe that this is one of the main reasons why Rinpoche moved his main seat to Tenerife. This created a very sad condition for the many good people of Merigar who now see Rinpoche a lot less than before.

Perhaps it is time that the DC goes beyond this shameful practice - a key historical cause of disharmony for Rinpoche and the Community.

Perhaps if you do not want Rinpoche to go away again, we all should think about creating harmony in the Community rather than “cutting the feet” through shamefully spreading false-fact innuendo.

Perhaps we are all growing older every moment. Old age, sickness and death - who can escape.

Read again Rinpoche's words.

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

These are Rinpoche's clearly stated and strongly felt words, not anyone else's.

Please think about the clear meaning and truthful integrity of purpose behind Rinpoche's words; think about what they ask of the Community, and what it means to take them to heart.

Perhaps the full harmonization of these words of Rinpoche, with the social and business models of the Community, is called for. This would help remove the current cognitive dissonance, and the resulting current dis-ease, caused by hierarchical, unequal, access to the Teachings.

This is an easily cured dis-ease that affects the entire Community.

Sure people help each other in the Community, but for some, this is truly not possible. Equal access to the Teachings is a birthright issue for anyone interested. Access to the Teachings should not be a hit-or-miss chance encounter with a kindly sponsor higher up in the hierarchy of access.

Perhaps the Bodhisattva Imperatives could be the structural basis for healing and evolving the social and business forms of the Community.

You simply cannot accept the need to live according to the Four Infinite Wishes of the Bodhisattva, and combine this with a social system of limited hierarchical access to the Teachings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vow

If all the water in the oceans, and all the grains of sand, etc. (big etc.) turned to gold, it could not equal the value of one word of precious Buddha Dharma. For me, having attended in person 3-5 long retreats with ChNNR every year since 1980, I have heard millions and millions of words of the highest teachings. Yes, Rinpoche is the most generous Teacher of anyone I know. His Longsal Terma Cycle, The Luminous Clarity of the Universe, Heart Essence of the Dakinis, is a complete Terma Cycle, leading to realization in one lifetime. He has shared these most precious teachings fully, holding nothing back, with anyone who is interested, in over 600 retreats and webcasts.

How can you put a limited value on these Teachings?

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

Going beyond hierarchy in the social and business forms of the Community is for the direct immediate and long-term benefit of Rinpoche and the Community.

This is crystal clear.

Then the Dzogchen Community will last till the end of time and be of true and supreme benefit to everyone who is interested.

Perhaps those in the Community who understand these things can help explain these things to those who don't.

Perhaps we are all growing older every moment.

Old age, sickness and death - who can escape.

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

:heart:

Miroku
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Miroku » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 pm

oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm
"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

:heart:
Dude, I get you. I am a very poor student and get a lot of help from others but do not expect things to be free. You can get in touch with local sangha and I bet people will be happy to lend you some books or sth. If you cooperate with sangha it can be done.

It is a nice quote and it is true. Really. I have encountered so many wonderful people in DC sangha who helped me with my practice and lend me their books and cds. It is possible to do it for free. But we should aspire to support a bit. We are living in a samsara. In samsara we need money to develop things. DC is a very precious thing. SSI is a very precious thing. They need to be developed. We have to support them or at least aspire to support them or even help them with a bit of our own work. Rinpoche already gave you his teachings for free. You know how to do GY and SOV. If you want more join local sangha.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Mantrik » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 pm

oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm
"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

:heart:
Every time you appear here you eventually start to grind the same old axe. Give it a rest. Whatever originally pissed you off in internal politics has no place here.

The 'dis-ease' is yours. Deal with it.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Norwegian
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Norwegian » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:00 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 pm
oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 pm
"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

:heart:
Every time you appear here you eventually start to grind the same old axe. Give it a rest. Whatever originally pissed you off in internal politics has no place here.

The 'dis-ease' is yours. Deal with it.
Agreed.

oldbob
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oldbob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:34 pm

http://melong.com/jin-dag-generosity-in-action/

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it [Buddhism] started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

This quote is from Rinpoche's Melong article above.

These are the words of Rinpoche. It is his axe you are referring to.

Until there is equal access to the Teachings the dis-ease belongs to every member of the Community.

As to posting these true facts here - attendance is optional.

Truly sorry if the cognitive dissonance between the Bodhisattva Imperative and the hierarchical access to the Teachings is uncomfortable. This is how the Community is hard-wired. Maybe the Community can change.

Everything is up to Rinpoche.

ob

Sherab Rigdrol
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Sherab Rigdrol » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:04 am

oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:34 pm
http://melong.com/jin-dag-generosity-in-action/

"But when we think a little of ancient times and how it [Buddhism] started, there is a possibility that we can go in that same way. The teachings are for people who are interested, not only for people who have money."

This quote is from Rinpoche's Melong article above.

These are the words of Rinpoche. It is his axe you are referring to.

Until there is equal access to the Teachings the dis-ease belongs to every member of the Community.

As to posting these true facts here - attendance is optional.

Truly sorry if the cognitive dissonance between the Bodhisattva Imperative and the hierarchical access to the Teachings is uncomfortable. This is how the Community is hard-wired. Maybe the Community can change.

Everything is up to Rinpoche.

ob
oldbob, I love your posts. I am poor as shit and I still have a huge library of DC materials. Rinpoche is the MOST generous lama I know of and the way the teachings are disseminated is unparalleled in the Vajrayana world. Everything is fine and it’s up to the individual to invest in their study materials.

Sorry people talked shit about you in Merigar. Sanghas can suck sometimes :(

Motova
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Motova » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:10 am

oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Truly sorry if the cognitive dissonance between the Bodhisattva Imperative and the hierarchical access to the Teachings is uncomfortable. This is how the Community is hard-wired. Maybe the Community can change.

Everything is up to Rinpoche.

ob
Not only does Rinpoche give Dzogchen teachings for free but he also personally answers emails people who aren't even paying the yearly membership for free. In addition, SMS instructors also generously provide assistance for free to anyone. In my experience, Rinpoche and Adriano Clemente answer back on average in a day and many times in less than a day.

oldbob we know what you think already, the reason I posted my criticism was because I have started to notice a pattern and it makes me uncomfortable. Your criticism of Rinpoche is totally unfounded, and I wish you would stop.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

User avatar
treehuggingoctopus
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Mudhole? Slimy? My home, this is.

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:51 am

Motova wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:10 am
oldbob wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Truly sorry if the cognitive dissonance between the Bodhisattva Imperative and the hierarchical access to the Teachings is uncomfortable. This is how the Community is hard-wired. Maybe the Community can change.

Everything is up to Rinpoche.

ob
Not only does Rinpoche give Dzogchen teachings for free but he also personally answers emails people who aren't even paying the yearly membership for free. In addition, SMS instructors also generously provide assistance for free to anyone. In my experience, Rinpoche and Adriano Clemente answer back on average in a day and many times in less than a day.

oldbob we know what you think already, the reason I posted my criticism was because I have started to notice a pattern and it makes me uncomfortable. Your criticism of Rinpoche is totally unfounded, and I wish you would stop.
Oldbob is *not* criticising Rinpoche. Never has. He is taking pot shots at some people around Rinpoche. One may obviously disagree with his reading of the situation but suggesting that he is criticising Rinpoche is a tad too much.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

Lukeinaz
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Lukeinaz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am

I have some scribbled notes that suggest Black Manjushri was given during "27 January-3 February 2017 Longsal Rushen, Dzamling Gar. However the transmission list does not inlcude this as well some others.

Can anyone confirm that this practice was indeed transmitted during the above retreat?

Also, and I really hate asking these questions, does receiving Longsal Rushen enable me to read Longsal teachings now?

Thanks again all
You are truly astonishing--going to look for yourself when you already are yourself! --Longchen Rabjam

Norwegian
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Norwegian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 am

Lukeinaz wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:01 am
Also, and I really hate asking these questions, does receiving Longsal Rushen enable me to read Longsal teachings now?

Thanks again all
Each Longsal practice must be received individually. The only exception is if one has received the Longsal root empowerment (from Rinpoche in person, as this is never webcasted), but even then there are certain practices which one also needs to receive on top of that. So you need to receive the relevant empowerment and/or transmission for the others.

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gad rgyangs, Heruka85 and 76 guests