Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm

1567957424292.jpg
1567957424292.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Full Moon Ganapuja Webcast at 7PM EDT on the Tsegyalgar East practicing together channel.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

Simon E.
Posts: 6544
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Simon E. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

dharmafootsteps wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm
climb-up wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:21 pm
In re: yantra yoga,

Has anyone else consistently hurt their lower back doing it?
I have more or less come to the conclusion that, for my particular body, I just can’t really do it. I have always had very little flexibility in the forward bend, and an odd left hip thing, but in the past I have been able to do other systems (such as Ashtanga) carefully and not have a problem. Even when I have been really good about not pushing past my limits, I’ve ended up hurt.

I do not doubt that yantra yoga is wonderful, I have even experienced some very good benefits from it myself, it just seems to not be quite right for me.
This is pretty much why Fabio developed Harmonious Breathing and there's also chair based Yantra. Traditional Yantra actually requires quite a high degree of physical capacity, but a lot of benefit can still be had from these other forms.
An important point. I do think with all the will in the world we have to be realistic about taking up some practises after a certain age..although there are always exceptions to the rule. But there is a great richness in the legacy. Something for everyone.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Mantrik » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm
climb-up wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:21 pm
In re: yantra yoga,

Has anyone else consistently hurt their lower back doing it?
I have more or less come to the conclusion that, for my particular body, I just can’t really do it. I have always had very little flexibility in the forward bend, and an odd left hip thing, but in the past I have been able to do other systems (such as Ashtanga) carefully and not have a problem. Even when I have been really good about not pushing past my limits, I’ve ended up hurt.

I do not doubt that yantra yoga is wonderful, I have even experienced some very good benefits from it myself, it just seems to not be quite right for me.

This is pretty much why Fabio developed Harmonious Breathing and there's also chair based Yantra. Traditional Yantra actually requires quite a high degree of physical capacity, but a lot of benefit can still be had from these other forms.
An important point. I do think with all the will in the world we have to be realistic about taking up some practises after a certain age..although there are always exceptions to the rule. But there is a great richness in the legacy. Something for everyone.
Absolutely. Some of us can't even manage the purification breaths due to medical conditions. Visualise and do your best when the body can't perform.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Simon E.
Posts: 6544
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Simon E. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:01 pm

I sometimes wish that l had started the practises when younger. But things are as they are and we have much to be grateful for.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

moonbun
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Okay. I finally got how to do the harmonizing thread. I had to redo the rhombi so it won't look as weird or wonky with the harmonizing thread in place. :lol:

User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm

moonbun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:55 pm
Okay. I finally got how to do the harmonizing thread. I had to redo the rhombi so it won't look as weird or wonky with the harmonizing thread in place. :lol:
Do you use round wooden dowel rods? Do you fasten them together with something other than yarn? Do you use yarn or thread?
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

Tata1
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Tata1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 am

Is there something going on for rimpoche's aniversary?
Partículary colective practices

moonbun
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:58 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm
moonbun wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:55 pm
Okay. I finally got how to do the harmonizing thread. I had to redo the rhombi so it won't look as weird or wonky with the harmonizing thread in place. :lol:
Do you use round wooden dowel rods? Do you fasten them together with something other than yarn? Do you use yarn or thread?
Hello. There's no round wooden dowel rods available from where I'm from, nor do I have the necessary power tools to make them from scratch so I used bamboo rods instead. The thicker ones used for bbq, or as cake supports, I mean, so they're not hollow inside since the seed syllables need to be written on them. They're sturdy enough to handle the tightness of the threads without breaking. This is one of the frames I made.

Youtube has lots of nice videos on how to make them dowel rods if you're more of a DIY person. One can make the width notch joint about 1mm less than the diameter of the rod so one can file the remaining away for a snug fit for those who have unsteady hands, or no bench vise to work with like I did. If I were to make another set of frames, I'd use 1.5cm for the rod end space allowance just in case for small namkha. ymmv with the thread size, and wood rod used natch.

I used mercerized cotton crochet threads as you can see here. For the syllables, I got gel pens sized at less than the diamater of the rod I'm using even for the white color since sign pen ink ran over the bamboo wood fibers when I tested it out. One will have to test them out if they'll turn out okay with the wood rod being used. I sanded them a bit with fine sandpaper before I started making the rhombi. I didn't use anything else like glue to fasten them since the book said one shouldn't use those. The harmonizing thread will join, and hold everything together in the end. Just don't forget to follow the knot placement in the book's page 82, or you'll have to redo the rhombi again in order to make the joining of the harmonizing thread to work.

It's my first time making these, and I still hope that helps. It's quite an adventure since the first central rhombus that I did, ended up like some kinda blob before I figured out what I did wrong. :lol: I would also suggest getting a cutting mat so you'll have an easier time making the notches all aligned. Measure twice, and cut once.

User avatar
khemmis
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by khemmis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Can one practice Shitro on daily basis mainly for purification effect or is it better to do some traditional Ngondro purification practice with Vajrasattva or Six Lokas for such needs?

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm

khemmis wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Can one practice Shitro on daily basis mainly for purification effect or is it better to do some traditional Ngondro purification practice with Vajrasattva or Six Lokas for such needs?
ime, shitro is perfect for that purpose.

User avatar
Miroku
Former staff member
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Miroku » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 pm

khemmis wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm
Can one practice Shitro on daily basis mainly for purification effect or is it better to do some traditional Ngondro purification practice with Vajrasattva or Six Lokas for such needs?
Both are great ideas. The thing with ngöndro is that it has its own benefits entirely, and I believe that some experience with it (be it 30k or few weeks of it at least) would be great, but probably not necessary as long as one follows masters advice.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

User avatar
khemmis
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by khemmis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Javier, Miroku, thank you guys.

Anyone here is fluent with the Shitro practice? I'm looking for some guidance via pm on how to practice for oneself and others. I have a transmission, "Secondary..." and "Collective Practices" book and also "Shitro - Explanation and practice" audio files from SS store, but still, not everything is explained there. So maybe someone could look through my notes, verify them and fill in some blanks?

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm

khemmis wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Javier, Miroku, thank you guys.

Anyone here is fluent with the Shitro practice? I'm looking for some guidance via pm on how to practice for oneself and others. I have a transmission, "Secondary..." and "Collective Practices" book and also "Shitro - Explanation and practice" audio files from SS store, but still, not everything is explained there. So maybe someone could look through my notes, verify them and fill in some blanks?
sure, just pm me. i do this a lot.

Sādhaka
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:47 am

The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by lelopa » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:15 am

Tata1 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 am
Is there something going on for rimpoche's aniversary?
Partículary colective practices
Dear all !!!
We’re really pleased to announce our next webcast from Merigar West,
looking forward your participation
with warm and kind regards
from Webcast Team

Merigar West Practices & Events, 26 to 29 September 2019

remember the time in Merigar [gmt+2:00]
to connect go please:
https://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php? ... ther-html5
on Practicing Together open stream

Thursday, 26 September - GÖNPA


8.30- 9:40 Purification of Vajrasattva 


10:00-11:20 Purification of Vajrasattva


12:00-13:00 Guruyoga of the White A (Garab Dorje)


15.30-16:45 Guruyoga of the White A (Garab Dorje)

Friday, 27 September - GÖNPA, MANDALA HALL AND ARCIDOSSO


8.30 - 9:30 Purification of Vajrasattva (Gönpa)


10:00-11:00 Purification of Vajrasattva (Gönpa)


11:30-13:00 Ganapuja with Invocationof the Lamp (Gönpa)

5:00pm -The Castle Conference Hall
• The thoughts and scientific works of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Giacomella Orofino, University of Naples “Oriental”
• The global Dzogchen Community Constantino Albini, Meditation instructor from the Dzogchen Community
• Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, a Tibetan Master on Amiata Jacopo Marini, Mayor of Arcidosso

7:00pm - GÖNPA
Installation Spectacle, projection on 4 large screens of films of the vajra dance from all over the world.
Follows a live performance of the Song of the Vajra, by Roberto Cacciapaglia (electric piano) and An Chi Huang (soprano)

Saturday, 28 September - GÖNPA


8.30 - 9:40 Purification of Six Lokas 


10:00-11:20 Purification of Six Lokas


12:00-13:00 Guruyoga of the White A (Garab Dorje)


15.00-16:00 Guruyoga of the White A (Garab Dorje)


16:15 Ganapuja (New Moon)

Sunday, 29 September - GÖNPA


8.30- 9:40 Purification of Vajrasattva 


10:00-11:20 Purification of Vajrasattva


12:00-13:00 Guruyoga of Padmasambhava 


15.00-16:15 Guruyoga of Padmasambhava
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Vasana » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Timeline of the life of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu.

https://www.merigar.it/en/timeline/?fbc ... 48EDQek4vc
  • This timeline is a chronological account intending to convey an idea of the complex unfolding of the life of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu.

    We do not pretend to be able to fully describe every aspect of his multitudinous capacities and the original and ground-breaking philosophical context and important consequences of his work and research.

    This is no more than an outline of the principle chapters in the life of an extraordinary man, briefly illustrated to enable a reflection.

    An expert in Buddhist doctrine, he excelled in the subtle philosophical language of the Madhyamika and Yogacara schools, as well as the highest teachings, above all Dzogchen.

    His deep research examined the texts and the historical traditions of the ancient kingdom of Shang Shung, demonstrating that it was from these roots that the culture of Tibet was in part derived, including its diverse religious aspects.

    He was an expert in traditional medicine and natural preparations, drawing on knowledge transmitted among others by the great master and healer Changchub Dorje, and he actively promoted the dissemination and study of this tradition in the West.

    His knowledge of Tibetan language and literature was unparalleled, and he taught this discipline for decades, promoting and participating in conferences in the East and the West. He also facilitated the translation into Western languages of some of the most important texts of the Dzogchen teaching.

    For those who have the fortune to know the Tibetan language, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu was a refined author and poet. His prose is recognized as of the highest order, and his verses, as inspirational as they are inspired, are distinguished by a force both uncommon and incomparable.

    He was one of the leading custodians in our time of the sublime teachings of Ati Dzogpa Chenpo, and brought this knowledge to thousands of fortunate disciples in the West and on the whole planet. His teachings also inspired the founding of the Dzogchen Community.

    Intimately knowledgeable of human nature, he was able to transmit to all those interested in listening values that today more than ever are proving indispensable in fostering the hope that our world will evolve toward a future of peace and civility.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Simon E.
Posts: 6544
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Simon E. » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:39 pm

:namaste:
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

moonbun
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello. There's something I'm uncertain about on authenticating namkhas/lungtas.

In the Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja book on page 255 it mentions an appointed person sprinkling water, and using incense to purify them. I don't have the Sang or Lungta book for reference.

You can just sprinkle water, and use incense on the namkhas/lungtas yourself if you're alone, right? How does one prepare the water, the incense, and the aspergillum/sprinkler? Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:58 am

moonbun wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Hello. There's something I'm uncertain about on authenticating namkhas/lungtas.

In the Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja book on page 255 it mentions an appointed person sprinkling water, and using incense to purify them. I don't have the Sang or Lungta book for reference.

You can just sprinkle water, and use incense on the namkhas/lungtas yourself if you're alone, right? How does one prepare the water, the incense, and the aspergillum/sprinkler? Any help would be appreciated.
a bowl of water is used, purified along the practice, use a little cypress branch for example to sprinkle water drops over the flags and incense's smoke to purify them (it is the smoke of incense or cypress, etc., not the incense or cypress, etc. per se, the thing that purifies) so the smoke gets in contact with the cloth.

one can do all by oneself. but if you can participate with siblings then, as always, is better.

moonbun
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by moonbun » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:58 am
moonbun wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Hello. There's something I'm uncertain about on authenticating namkhas/lungtas.

In the Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja book on page 255 it mentions an appointed person sprinkling water, and using incense to purify them. I don't have the Sang or Lungta book for reference.

You can just sprinkle water, and use incense on the namkhas/lungtas yourself if you're alone, right? How does one prepare the water, the incense, and the aspergillum/sprinkler? Any help would be appreciated.
a bowl of water is used, purified along the practice, use a little cypress branch for example to sprinkle water drops over the flags and incense's smoke to purify them (it is the smoke of incense or cypress, etc., not the incense or cypress, etc. per se, the thing that purifies) so the smoke gets in contact with the cloth.

one can do all by oneself. but if you can participate with siblings then, as always, is better.
Now I understand. Thanks for explaining it. :twothumbsup: I'm still clumsy with the mudras, but I'm slowly becoming familiar with the melodies since I join the webcasts whenever it's possible. The melodies are quite pleasant, and captivating.

Post Reply

Return to “Dzogchen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests