Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Shiva

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Shiva »

Formal transmissions are very problematic. It is true, though, that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche always defended that system and criticized western Dzogchen yogis and yoginis whom rejected the need of those same formal transmissions. Even agreeing on that need, by the same Dzogchen logic of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, the only relevant transmission would be Guruyoga. Anyhow I still thing Chogyal Namkhai Norbu did not nominate a formal successor for a reason...

Josef

Post by Josef »

Shiva wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 am
Formal transmissions are very problematic. It is true, though, that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche always defended that system and criticized western Dzogchen yogis and yoginis whom rejected the need of those same formal transmissions.
There is no such thing as a Dzogchen yogi who has not received transmission.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Shiva

Post by Shiva »

Josef wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:34 pm
Shiva wrote:
Formal transmissions are very problematic. It is true, though, that Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche always defended that system and criticized western Dzogchen yogis and yoginis whom rejected the need of those same formal transmissions.
One thing is a transmission (any) and another is a "formal ritual-like" transmission. Not all transmissions need to be done with the guru holding a Vajra... With my comment, I was referring to the second kind in which you are dependant upon having a living master to perform it.
Gassho,

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shiva wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 pm
Josef wrote:
Shiva wrote:
One thing is a transmission (any) and another is a "formal ritual-like" transmission. Not all transmissions need to be done with the guru holding a Vajra... With my comment, I was referring to the second kind in which you are dependant upon having a living master to perform it.
The only kind of transmission there is, is from a living master to student.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shiva wrote:
Anyhow I still thing Chogyal Namkhai Norbu did not nominate a formal successor for a reason...
He already had indicated his son, daughter, and SMS teachers, etc., would be responsible for continuing the DC.

Josef

Post by Josef »

Shiva wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 pm
Josef wrote:
Shiva wrote:
No living master, no transmission, no Dzogchen.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

any news on the idc?

khemmis

Post by khemmis »

Can one achieve effect of Dorjei Kotrab mantra without 3-day retreat just by doing some recitation every day or this is not possible or unlikely to happen?

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Rinpoche was clear that it has to be practiced as instructed. If action mantras for other practices need a minimum prerequisite days of retreat after the minimum number of days on the main mantra, then something like Vajra armour won't be an exception.

Other lamas may instruct differently but you need their lung and tri to follow.

If you're concerned about the virus, there's also Tara (20th of 21) and the Dark Garuda to consider.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

hornet

Post by hornet »

Check out the biography of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu on Youtube!

javier.espinoza.t

khemmis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 am
Can one achieve effect of Dorjei Kotrab mantra without 3-day retreat just by doing some recitation every day or this is not possible or unlikely to happen?
no. do what's prescribed in the terma and maybe you can obtain benefit.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The 3-day retreat is necessary to activate the mantra. After that, you can accumulate numbers. Until activation, the mantra won't have much effect.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

khemmis

Post by khemmis »

Vasana, javier.espinoza.t, pemachophel, much thanks for your input.

I'm not too much worried about COVID-19 but I do have pretty long list of different health problems and this outbreak reminded me of this practice. DC booklet about this practice is rather short and I do not have any experience with personal retreats. And on top of that I have some limitations. Sometimes repeating a lot of mantras are inducing PVCs for me or even worse (AIVR, NSVT) and I need to slow down or take some break. It's much better after heart ablation, but still, I'm afraid this might induce some nasty arrhythmia's for me. In such case, is is possible to repeat mantras also mentally? Did anyone here completed such short retreat with success and could share schedule for such retreat or recommend me some additional materials? I got lung from ChNNR and that's it. Thanks in advance

ratna

Post by ratna »

Has anyone received advice on whether it's possible to do the 3-day retreat if one has other daily recitation commitments? Dorje Lingpa's text doesn't address this issue.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

ratna wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 am
Has anyone received advice on whether it's possible to do the 3-day retreat if one has other daily recitation commitments? Dorje Lingpa's text doesn't address this issue.

R
PM'd
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

javier.espinoza.t

khemmis wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am
Vasana, javier.espinoza.t, pemachophel, much thanks for your input.

I'm not too much worried about COVID-19 but I do have pretty long list of different health problems and this outbreak reminded me of this practice. DC booklet about this practice is rather short and I do not have any experience with personal retreats. And on top of that I have some limitations. Sometimes repeating a lot of mantras are inducing PVCs for me or even worse (AIVR, NSVT) and I need to slow down or take some break. It's much better after heart ablation, but still, I'm afraid this might induce some nasty arrhythmia's for me. In such case, is is possible to repeat mantras also mentally? Did anyone here completed such short retreat with success and could share schedule for such retreat or recommend me some additional materials? I got lung from ChNNR and that's it. Thanks in advance

aeyou wellcome,

some mantras work that way, some not. maybe if one masters the mantra it can work.

retreat schedule i used was to recite while awake, and if possible during dream, and to stop only for eating and taking sleep, one can manage somehow.

i would like to encourage you to do so, the mantra works. my son had a problem that could be controled with it for example, it can work not only for yourself.

TocharianB

Return of Birth Sign Year

Post by TocharianB »

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any booklet that specifically addresses the practices we should do to mitigate the ill-effects of the return of one's birth year sign? Or if not, what Rinpoche said about which practices were more effective? I was born in the year of the Mouse/Rat, so I thought I should probably start those. Please PM if the information is restricted, but otherwise, please share for the edification and aid of everyone else (we'll all face this again eventually). Thanks!!

humble.student

Re: Return of Birth Sign Year

Post by humble.student »

TocharianB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:44 am
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any booklet that specifically addresses the practices we should do to mitigate the ill-effects of the return of one's birth year sign? Or if not, what Rinpoche said about which practices were more effective? I was born in the year of the Mouse/Rat, so I thought I should probably start those. Please PM if the information is restricted, but otherwise, please share for the edification and aid of everyone else (we'll all face this again eventually). Thanks!!
"The Four Methods of Development"

TocharianB

Re: Return of Birth Sign Year

Post by TocharianB »

humble.student wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:32 am
TocharianB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:44 am
Hi everyone,
"The Four Methods of Development"
Thanks my dude.. Ordered.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao »

I seem to remember someone telling me something about how Rinpoche wore rings on his index and ring fingers having something to do with protecting or conserving clarity and sensation or something like that. Anyone remember this at all?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Dzogchen”