Kunjed Gyalpo:The Supreme Source

Malcolm

Re: Kunjed Gyalpo:The Supreme Source

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Jim Valby knows and understands what he translates.
Yes, I agree.

M
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Thanks everyone for the informarion. When I first read this I knew it was the best book I had ever read.
DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

mutsuk wrote:I mean, her book displays nearly as many translation mistakes as Ann Klein's Unbounded Wholeness...
Tell us what you really think, mutsuk :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

What I really think is that Jim Valby's work on the Kun-byed eclipses other translations published so far of the same root-text. It is clear Dargyay did not understand what she "translated". Her explanation about feminizing the King (rgyal po in Kun byed rgyal po) into a Queen is simply ridiculous. It is just as stupid as Janet Gyatso explaining that the natural state is beyond gender but is nevertheless feminine... Who lacks a brain ?
more urgent jest

Post by more urgent jest »

the bits that Keith Dowman translated, in Eye of the Storm or Original Perfection, are an interesting counterpoint.

http://keithdowman.net/books/vairotsana ... storm.html
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

mutsuk wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:34 am It is just as stupid as Janet Gyatso explaining that the natural state is beyond gender but is nevertheless feminine...
Did she really do this? Care to tell us where, exactly? Her Apparitions is one of the most useful books on Vajrayana interpretation I have read, possibly because she included so much stuff from teachers like Khyentse and Chatral Rinpoches.
ugyen

Post by ugyen »

Fa Dao wrote: Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 pm Been reading this book lately. Just have to say...what an incredibly cool and entertaining way to present the Dzogchen Teachings!!! It's as though one were having a conversation with the Enlightened Nature...very cool...makes me laugh with joy
i was told that kunjed gyalpo is root text to samdhi and if someone can tel me is there any root text to longde????
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think I will wait for this: Volume 8, root text, chapters 1-84, with Tibetan critical edition, Sep-2019 to come out!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Grigoris wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:22 pm I think I will wait for this: Volume 8, root text, chapters 1-84, with Tibetan critical edition, Sep-2019 to come out!
The root text of course is important, but I would say that having the commentary and the root text, is perhaps even more important, considering that this is a difficult text (it's a Dzogchen tantra after all). And so Jim Valby has done a great service by translating Khenpo Zhenphen Öser's commentary with the root text. His commentary really expands greatly on the root verses.

So don't just go for the root text alone, get all of his translated volumes (six out so far, containing chapters 1 to 84 with commentary).
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

I got this book a few weeks ago because of this thread :meditate:
haven't started reading it yet...next on my list...
31950116_10214675838188387_4485656546792964096_o.jpg
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:47 pm I got this book a few weeks ago because of this thread :meditate:
It is a tantra of the Dzogchen.

Kevin
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Virgo wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:27 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:47 pm I got this book a few weeks ago because of this thread :meditate:
It is a tantra of the Dzogchen.

Kevin

Is it restricted ?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 am

Is it restricted ?
I don't believe so.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hope you enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Kevin
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Norwegian wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:22 pm I think I will wait for this: Volume 8, root text, chapters 1-84, with Tibetan critical edition, Sep-2019 to come out!
The root text of course is important, but I would say that having the commentary and the root text, is perhaps even more important, considering that this is a difficult text (it's a Dzogchen tantra after all). And so Jim Valby has done a great service by translating Khenpo Zhenphen Öser's commentary with the root text. His commentary really expands greatly on the root verses.

So don't just go for the root text alone, get all of his translated volumes (six out so far, containing chapters 1 to 84 with commentary).
I am a big fan of root texts. I like to go into a text without preconceived notions of it's meaning and then when I am finished to seek out clarification where needed (from my teachers). It is more of an adventure that way. I do the same thing with movies, music, travel, etc... Sometimes I may miss a detail here or there, but one can always go back. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Norwegian wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:46 pm this is a difficult text (it's a Dzogchen tantra after all).
Why would a Dzogchen Tantra be difficult ?

I haven't read it yet...but will begin reading it today...
florin

Post by florin »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 pm
Norwegian wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:46 pm this is a difficult text (it's a Dzogchen tantra after all).

Because dzogchen is difficult.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Tantras in general are tightly packed and hold a lot of symbolic language etc.
They are a challenging category of literature.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

ChNN's The Supreme Source is one of my favorites.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Josef wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 pm Tantras in general are tightly packed and hold a lot of symbolic language etc.
They are a challenging category of literature.
Yes..similar to poetry reading/writing ?

I also read something once... about how some aliens can condense thousands/millions of words/concepts into just a few words .

Anyways....im on pg. 52 so far....loving it.....

Return to “Dzogchen”