Yantra Yoga - 2 DVDs set

simhanada

Re: Yantra Yoga - 2 DVDs set

Post by simhanada »

padma norbu wrote:I don't really understand the idea that it can't be learned from a video. If I took a class 1-on-1, I could easily imagine misunderstanding. You can learn kumbhaka in a single class. It may be recommended that you take a full weekend of Yantra Yoga instruction, but maybe you only have enough for 1 day. The instructor is not the student and no way could the instructor know whether or not the student is really doing it correctly, especially if the student is shy or something.

Learn here and go crazy (at your own risk, of course):
phpBB [video]
nice, but she just taught you how to hold your breath, not do kumbhaka.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

simhanada wrote:
This^
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

alpha wrote:is there a secret meaning of each posture in terms of deities,mandalas...etc?
Its an atiyoga practice so not really, at least that I know of.

see here
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=I0O ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Mr. G wrote:
simhanada wrote:
This^
oh you guys are just trying to keep it secret! Also, I knew that. :tongue: However, I still think I raise a valid point (however, I would think something like that, wouldn't I?) that an in-person instruction at a 1-day lesson is not necessarily any better than learning from a dvd. When I learn it, I'm going to come back here and speak freely on the subject. I already know it in theory; just haven't tried it due to so many warnings. If I pay $120 to learn it and there's no "secret" to it, I will be annoyed and I will say so.

I have the Breathe DVD, by the way. It does not explain kumbhaka. It also seems to be quite a long routine, very slow and gentle. Not something I can see myself ever doing.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:I don't really understand the idea that it can't be learned from a video. If I took a class 1-on-1, I could easily imagine misunderstanding. You can learn kumbhaka in a single class.
Well, I guess it could be learnt from a video if they put Fabio's kumbhaka course on the video. Also, it's not a certainty you can really learn kumbhaka in a single class. You might not have an experience of it at all due to blockages in your breathing. In a class you learn how you can bring it about but then you need a lot of practice to be actually able to do it or if you were able to do it during class, a lot of practice to do it well. It's not like you come to a class and go "oh this is kumbhaka" and then you're just able to do it easily from then on. At least IMO.
The instructor is not the student and no way could the instructor know whether or not the student is really doing it correctly, especially if the student is shy or something.
He can check how you breathe.
padma norbu wrote: that an in-person instruction at a 1-day lesson is not necessarily any better than learning from a dvd.
Fabio's course takes three days, or five about 2.5 hour sessions if I remember right.
When I learn it, I'm going to come back here and speak freely on the subject.
In which case you will be breaking your samaya.
I have the Breathe DVD, by the way. It does not explain kumbhaka. It also seems to be quite a long routine, very slow and gentle. Not something I can see myself ever doing.
There is also a short routine (20 minutes I think). But if you can't dedicate at least this much daily then perhaps better you forget about kumbhaka.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote:
When I learn it, I'm going to come back here and speak freely on the subject.
In which case you will be breaking your samaya.
No, because I was thinking more along the lines of "I could have learned that from a DVD no problem." etc.
Pero wrote:
There is also a short routine (20 minutes I think). But if you can't dedicate at least this much daily then perhaps better you forget about kumbhaka.
Listen, Mr. Man, I have already passed up several opportunities to learn kumbhaka. The fact is, if I was going to dedicate a block of time to something, it would be something that interests me. Kumbhaka interests me more than the Breathe video. The Five Tibetan Rites interests me more than the Breathe video and that's probably not even Tibetan, I guess (seems to be some controversy about it, anyway. But, I've done it before and I know it works wonders, keeps people healthy, young, vibrant, flexible, etc.).
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:
Pero wrote:
Listen, Mr. Man, I have already passed up several opportunities to learn kumbhaka. The fact is, if I was going to dedicate a block of time to something, it would be something that interests me. Kumbhaka interests me more than the Breathe video.
The thing is that for learning kumbhaka you're going to be learning to do some similar things as in the Breathe video which you've said you don't see yourself ever doing. You can't have good kumbhaka without good breathing. You can't have good breathing without doing the exercises for good breathing. You want to have a nice base for learning kumbhaka? You can do the exercises in the Breathe video.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

ORLY? So what were people doing before the Breathe video came out last year? Pretty sure the first Eight Movements of Yantra Yoga are not the same thing. Then, there are the more advanced YY movements.
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:ORLY? So what were people doing before the Breathe video came out last year?
Yantra. But I thought you weren't into Yantra?
- Shabkar
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

I have the 2 new DVDs here, the old one: "The 8 movements of Yantra Yoga" and the "Breathe" as well. They are all connected and the instructors have done great job! :twothumbsup:
I have followed 2 courses with Laoura and 1 with Fabio.
So, everyone who is seriously interested in Yantra and has tried at least to do some in his/her life, knows well that it is not easy and needs a lot of practice.
In this case, all DVDs can be very useful as a complementary helping tool.
Frequently the body itself creates the questions which can be different from person to person and then a good instructor is necessary!
Of course, the perfect combination of a good instructor and a clever, diligent student creates harmony and quick improvement for the latter. A good instructor alone cannot do much with a stupid, lazy student.
Laoura told us that it is not good to mix-up Yoga transmissions from different tranditions. Yantra Yoga is very special in the Dzogchen tradition. Other transmissions have their own rules and values.
Also there are things that you can speak out freely to people who are really interested and things that you break your samaya if you speak.
That's all folks from me, and sorry but there is no shortcut to this path! :namaste:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Dronma wrote:I have the 2 new DVDs here, the old one: "The 8 movements of Yantra Yoga" and the "Breathe" as well. They are all connected and the instructors have done great job! :twothumbsup:
I have followed 2 courses with Laoura and 1 with Fabio.
So, everyone who is seriously interested in Yantra and has tried at least to do some in his/her life, knows well that it is not easy and needs a lot of practice.
In this case, all DVDs can be very useful as a complementary helping tool.
Frequently the body itself creates the questions which can be different from person to person and then a good instructor is necessary!
Of course, the perfect combination of a good instructor and a clever, diligent student creates harmony and quick improvement for the latter. A good instructor alone cannot do much with a stupid, lazy student.
Laoura told us that it is not good to mix-up Yoga transmissions from different tranditions. Yantra Yoga is very special in the Dzogchen tradition. Other transmissions have their own rules and values.
Also there are things that you can speak out freely to people who are really interested and things that you break your samaya if you speak.
That's all folks from me, and sorry but there is no shortcut to this path! :namaste:
Not every practice is for everybody, which is why still almost nobody does Vajra Dance. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the non-dancers are stupid and lazy, but whatever floats your boat.
florin

Post by florin »

Dronma wrote:. A good instructor alone cannot do much with a stupid, lazy student.
are there any stupid students?
I thought that everybody is doing their best...at rinpoche's sugestion.

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

alpha wrote:
Dronma wrote:. A good instructor alone cannot do much with a stupid, lazy student.
are there any stupid students?
I thought that everybody is doing their best...at rinpoche's sugestion.

And reply to padma norbu as well:

First of all, that was manner of speaking! :quoteunquote:
Then, not all people have the same qualification. Of course, there are people of all qualifications and qualities in every mandala! It is normal.... :smile:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

This reminds me, sometimes I think Namkhai Norbu is using the word "qualifications" where I would use "qualities." I wonder if these terms are somewhat interchangeable in Italian.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yes. Sometimes when he says "qualifed" practice, he's referring to a high quality practice. Like practicing mantra recitation mindfully as opposed to mindlessly while daydreaming.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

I have the yantra yoga level 1 dvd. I think it is great addition to the Yantra Yoga book. My question is, when one is performing the yantras like the camel etc.. Is the breathing method direct or is it done with the constriction of the glottis?

Btw,I am considering going to a teacher directly and taking a course, but there is nothing close to my area.

Thanks!
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

YogaDude11 wrote:I have the yantra yoga level 1 dvd. I think it is great addition to the Yantra Yoga book. My question is, when one is performing the yantras like the camel etc.. Is the breathing method direct or is it done with the constriction of the glottis?
Doesn't the DVD or the book say? I'm pretty sure it's in one or the other, or both.

Anyway I've checked out the book from the library, and also just received the two-disc Volume 1 (the two-disc volume 2 I'll have to wait for, which is fine because Volume 1 has the preliminaries, the first series, and the Vajra Wave).

Question:

Do the two two-disc volumes (four discs) have everything that's on the older The Eight Movements-Yantra Yoga DVD?
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

Yeah i watched the dvd a couple of times and it looks like it is direct. I got much better effect with direct breathing anyways.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The question is then, when are we supposed to breathe with the glottis constricted?

I'm studying the book now, so if/when I find out from a unrestricted DVD or book, I'll try to remember to post it here if no one else has answered the question by then.
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

From what i have read in the book the constriction of the glottis is done when performing the longer counts in kumbhaka and in some of the sitting pranayamas where some of the chin locks and other constrictions are performed.

Return to “Dzogchen”