Father Francis Tiso Dzogchen & Early Christianity Connection

Malcolm

Re: Father Francis Tiso Dzogchen & Early Christianity Connec

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Predictably, I will tell you that Father Tiso's book, while interesting, is not to be taken seriously by practitioners.

It is a mishmash, at best. However, his account of Khenpo Acho is quite nice.
That is what I expected...

How long is the part about Khenpo Acho? Worth buying the book just for that?
Yes.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:46 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Predictably, I will tell you that Father Tiso's book, while interesting, is not to be taken seriously by practitioners.

That is what I expected...

How long is the part about Khenpo Acho? Worth buying the book just for that?
Yes.
Great to hear. Thanks!

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 am

Malcolm wrote:Unfortunately, I will have to argue with people inspired by his syncretism and uncritical acceptance of some western academic bloviators for the rest of my life.
You know you love it. :smile:
Taking the attitude that the phenomenal world is sacred is the first and last practice of all. - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 am

Thank you for the review.
Malcolm wrote:Unfortunately, I will have to argue with people inspired by his syncretism and uncritical acceptance of some western academic bloviators for the rest of my life.
Well it will give the rest of us substantive Buddhist posts to consider.

Virgo

Ivo

Post by Ivo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 am

shanehanner wrote:
Ivo wrote:
tingdzin wrote:Thanks Ivo -- very interesting.
Yes it is. The knowledge of these shrunken bodies was very common when I grew up. It was even taught in school as a normal part of the Ortodox tradition and everyone was very comfortable with the idea as everyone had seen these relics as they are all over our monasteries. I have seen them numerous times when I was a kid. Almost every major monastery has one - either a full body or a limb, or fingers, etc. They are all the size of an infant. The isihast tradition was very deep, they practiced only in caves, the teacher-disciple connection was of paramount importance and it was all oral transmission. From what I herd during my childhood they definitely had some thogyal-like practices using postures and light.
Wow, thats fascinating. I did a quick google for images of St. Ivan Rilski remains but couldnt find any. That would really be something to see.
The remains are kept in the Rila Monastery (Links: HERE and HERE). They are shown to the public only on special days (mostly October 19-th) and generally taking photographs is forbidden, as they consider these one of the most important 10-th century church relics in Bulgaria. Here is a picture, although on this one the body is covered. They do uncover it on very special occasions, and I have seen it uncovered as a child, but I could not find such a picture either:

There is no scale on the picture but the whole coffin is less than a meter in length.