Burning Dharma Materials

well wisher

Re: Burning Dharma Materials

Post by well wisher »

What do you think about below real life story, on discarding or burning Dharma materials?

Several months ago, I discarded an old bibliography booklet of Master Monk Guang Qin from circa 1980's era, This monk was the founder of the temple who I received the 5 precepts back when I was young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guang_Qin
In that old bibliography, this master advised "don't be stubborn", and do not to be too attached to human body itself.

in retrospect, I have done a 10-day Vipasanna meditation retreat in 2012, and then kept reading several Theravada materials online in these recent years, so I ended up thinking how wonderful that dharma can be personally understood through logical reasoning and personal experience, so I ended up being too attached to logical reasoning alone, especially the Kalama Sutta part about free inquiry.
Then I went visited another Mahayana temple school around October 2018, as there were no direct branch schools from Master Guang-Qin in the Canadian city I currently reside in. And some booklets from that school advised that "good to learn to be stubborn" and loyalty is a virtue. And I was shocked: how can teaching materials from 2 different schools of the same lineage type (Chinese Chan / Pureland) school can have contradictory advice? Stubborn versus Flexible.

As a result of this contradictory duality and my obsession with logical reasoning, and I was stuck in bafflement and felt the need to cut down on reading materials to ease strain on my brain and eyes,
so I ended up throwing Master Guang Qin bibliography into the recycling bin.
Then I realized later the a better compromise is: be stubborn on good virtues when its beneficial, otherwise be flexible when the situation calls for it, but by then its a bit too late. i guess my main fault was that I was too attached to logical reasoning alone and simple opposing dualitiy! :yinyang:

So the warning about some parts of sublime Mahayana Buddhism is beyond logical understanding,
and beyond the contradictory simplified labels of worldly "opposing" duality concept,
is totally true! And could intuition and instinct play important roles as well, beyond simple logic?

Anyways, I remembered I used to heard that some Chinese Buddhist temple elders that in history, that burning or discarding Buddhist books is heresy, like "go into fire enter demon". 走火入魔
I spoke about this with my own father, a devout pureland Mahayana Buddhist himself, and he assured that my act was not a demonic or heretical act, and we can easily just pick up another copy at the temple when we visit next time.

So now I think that the "burn /discard sutra condemnation as heresy" only applies to only back in old history, when it takes much more manual handcopy work to create duplicates of sutras, and duplicates was not as easily available.
And I don't think this heresy condemnation would apply to our modern age anymore, because archives and duplicates are more readily available.
Is this latter more-merciful thinking correct? Have times truly changed?
Wishing all is well,
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

well wisher wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm So now I think that the "burn /discard sutra condemnation as heresy" only applies to only back in old history, when it takes much more manual handcopy work to create duplicates of sutras, and duplicates was not as easily available.
And I don't think this heresy condemnation would apply to our modern age anymore, because archives and duplicates are more readily available.
Is this latter more-merciful thinking correct? Have times truly changed?
Wishing all is well,
Personally I'd still do some offerings and purification. Why? I believe it is not because of the "hardship" of making books back then. It is because sutras and othe books on dharma are a representation of dharma. Garchen Rinpoche often says that dharma books are more precious than statues of Budda, because the books can help us realize sth unlike the statues. Also if I am correct Buddha said that when he is gone we have his teachings and that matters (I am strongly paraphrasing). So dharma books are very precious and if you do not want them it is better to give them away to people who have the transmission (if restricted) or into library (if public). Burning is a possibility if there is no other way.

Just my 2cents.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Miroku wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 pm Personally I'd still do some offerings and purification. Why? I believe it is not because of the "hardship" of making books back then. It is because sutras and othe books on dharma are a representation of dharma. Garchen Rinpoche often says that dharma books are more precious than statues of Budda, because the books can help us realize sth unlike the statues. Also if I am correct Buddha said that when he is gone we have his teachings and that matters (I am strongly paraphrasing). So dharma books are very precious and if you do not want them it is better to give them away to people who have the transmission (if restricted) or into library (if public). Burning is a possibility if there is no other way.

Just my 2cents.
Good suggestions Miroku. I will try to keep this in mind - better to send dharma books I am stuck on into dharma centers, instead of dumping them into trash or recycle bins.

It was a logical confusion on my own part stuck on: that
"How can two schools from the same lineage Chinese Mahayana Chan/Pureland have opposing views regarding Flexibility (but Flip-flopping) vs Conviction(Stubborness)?" as a general guide. Both are virtues on their own right, if applied in correct situations.
Just like the magnificent statues of the thousand-arms boddhisattavs! Ksitigarbha, Avalokiteśvara ... etc, I gotta learn how to use each arm and tool properly!

Lesson learned for me, that "extreme end" labeling does not work too well in actual reality
So to avoid repeat of same confusions, I will try to avoiding holding onto extreme-labelling views, I have to learn to see reality as is, and accept that different traits might be useful in different situations.

Hopefully this will help me avoid wasting further dharma books!
Thanks again

[Mod note 2022: topic locked due to age. A discussion continues in 2022 here]: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 99#p645999

Return to “Nyingma”