Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

supermaxv

Re: Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Post by supermaxv »

I am curious - were the people who were there in person just as confused about what they were receiving in terms of the empowerment?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The reply I got was:
I just checked with Khenpo, and he gave only the lung for the practice text. He said that Rinpoche said there was no need to give a separate lung for the torma offering.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

supermaxv wrote:I am curious - were the people who were there in person just as confused about what they were receiving in terms of the empowerment?
Probably, but since they are right there with Rinpoche they care less.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Sherab Dorje wrote:The reply I got was:
I just checked with Khenpo, and he gave only the lung for the practice text. He said that Rinpoche said there was no need to give a separate lung for the torma offering.
but it still doesn't explain what the first lung was.
i could (nearly) swear Kenpo Samdrub used a short separat text first and then took the Sadhana-text....
but maybe i am :crazy: or didn't saw it right
(i hope the latter)
Lost In Transmission
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Doesn't matter. You (we) now have the lung for the practice text, that's the important bit.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

I was there for this event. It was absolutely wonderful!

The mantra tune is still running in my head :) :woohoo:
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Just stumbled onto this archive of many recordings and texts from various Drikung Kagyu teaching events. Among them is a series of about 10 mp3s from one of Lama Garchen's previous Vajrakilaya empowerments. You need permission to download it, but looks like there won't be a charge to do so.

There is also a 4 page pdf with basics on doing the Vajrakilaya sadhana from Chetsang Rinpoche that had a couple of helpful tips.

Many other materials for various other deity, sutra, and Mahamudra practices for those who are interested.

http://www.dharma-media.org/media-view.php
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Shemmy, don't hold your breath regarding access to Private or Restricted materials on Dharma Media. It seems they've been defunct for several years now. That said, they have many excellent resources on their site which can be accessed freely.

Regarding your specific mention of the oral commentary by Drikung Kyabgön Chetsang Rinpoche on Vajrakilaya, the link on Dharma Media's main page is wrongly encoded. However, a subsite of theirs serving as the webspace for one of the Drikung dharma groups has the whole thing in a transcript:
http://www.dharma-media.org/ratnashripj ... hdkcr.html

This could be copied & pasted into a document for easier viewing.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

For HH Chetsang's short bit on Vajrakilaya, these were working on my end:

http://www.dharma-media.org/media/kagyu ... akilya.pdf

http://www.gobookee.org/get_book.php?u= ... 1hIE1lZGlh
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

hi, does anyone know what Garchen Rinpoche says about receiving the lung from a recording?

and can someone who was there live tell me in what video can i find the lung, is it the same video where the refuge ceremony is ?

thanks.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

KonchokZoepa wrote:hi, does anyone know what Garchen Rinpoche says about receiving the lung from a recording?

and can someone who was there live tell me in what video can i find the lung, is it the same video where the refuge ceremony is ?

thanks.
Garchen Rinpoche says you can receive lung from a recording and that you can also receive empowerment from a recording.

The lung is in the first video of the drubchen. It comes after the opening prayers. The camera moves to three Lamas sitting by a window.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40888556
Palzang Jangchub

Just received word from a friend that whomever mailed in their refuge info was gifted with several Dharma goodies, including: a deity photo of Vajrakilaya from the empowerment, a Liberation Upon Seeing lapel pin, and a picture of Tara, as well as one's refuge card.

:twothumbsup:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Just received word from a friend that whomever mailed in their refuge info was gifted with several Dharma goodies, including: a deity photo of Vajrakilaya from the empowerment, a Liberation Upon Seeing lapel pin, and a picture of Tara, as well as one's refuge card.

:twothumbsup:
If you write and ask them, they will also send you the Blessing Pills. :twothumbsup:
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Love it! That would be the coolest thing to get something like that! Lama Garchen and Drikung Kagyu win nicest guys of the year award in my own mentally televised awards ceremony to be held sometime this week.

My practice has gotten such a boost from the drubchen! Even my step-daughter's dog has defected from the other side of the village to our house because we have such nice guy Vajrakilaya compassion vibe going, at least that's what I think she is telling me when I ask why she is always at our house now.

Thanks to all on Dharma Wheel and at the shed at Drikung-Kagyu over thar in Arizona!
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Which leads to my question, we got a small packet of dutsi/blessing pills the night of the wang. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the packet, so its on my shrine right now, minus two of the pills as per instructions during the drubchen.

Whats the proper care & maintenance of such an item?
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

byamspa wrote:Which leads to my question, we got a small packet of dutsi/blessing pills the night of the wang. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the packet, so its on my shrine right now, minus two of the pills as per instructions during the drubchen.

Whats the proper care & maintenance of such an item?
In general the two methods many people use is to either keep the dutsi/rilbu from different lamas separate or just dump it into one big brocade bag or vessel (wooden bowl with a lid). I personally like to keep them all separate with labels and dates and then store them in or on the shrine. You can "eat" the dutsi whenever you aren't felling well, have a bad dream, or feel you need some extra blessings for something. The excepted practice is to let it dissolve in your mouth, never chewing it. Hope it helps.

As a side note the first dutsi I ever received was also from Garchen Rinpoche after a 1000 arm Chenrezig wang and drupchen!
Palzang Jangchub

A pith instruction from a previous Vajrakilaya Drubchen (which was restated during this year's teachings and recently posted on Facebook):
Garchen Rinpoche wrote:So, most principal, most important for our practice, is the wisdom awareness phurba and the phurba of boundless compassion, those two, which are the union of emptiness and great compassion. It is continuously maintaining mindful awareness and conscientiousness, as it is said in The Thirty-Seven Bodhisattva Practices. So this verse---number 36 in the 37 Practices---it reads, in brief, "Whatever conduct one engages in, one should ask, what is the state of my mind? Accomplishing others’ purposes through constantly maintaining mindfulness and awareness is the Bodhisattva’s practice."

In our practice it is most principal for us to merge the two phurbas: the phurba of wisdom awareness, and the phurba of boundless compassion. If we are able to do so, then the other phurbas will naturally manifest. This is the very root of all practices. If one were to condense all other practices into one, it would be the union of emptiness and boundless compassion. All result of all practices is that union of emptiness and compassion. So, therefore, it is good to know many things, but it is most important to understand and maintain mindful awareness.
:heart:

byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Saw this online:
We have two important announcements for you from H.E. Garchen Rinpoche:

~ While walking to Lapchi, Ven. Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche fell through a decaying wooden bridge and badly injured his hips and legs. He was initially in a hospital in Kathmandu and is now being cared for at Rinchen Ling Monastery. As an offering to Khenchen Rinpoche, Garchen Rinpoche requests that each of us accumulate 10,000 White Tara mantras and dedicate them for him.

Rinpoche would like everyone to know that Khenchen is one of our most precious Drikung lamas. He studied for many years at a university in Varanasi, India, and His Holiness Drikung Kyabgon Chetsang Rinpoche enthroned him as a Khenchen, a high scholar, at Jangchubling in Dehradun. Presently, Khenchen is Retreat Master at His Holiness’s new Milarepa Retreat Center in Germany.

~ This Sunday, December 8, at 2:00 pm at the Garchen Institute temple, Rinpoche will come out of retreat for the afternoon to lead White Tara practice followed by a special Prayer Dedication Puja in remembrance of Nelson Mandela, who passed away yesterday. Everyone is welcome to attend.

May the blessings be boundless.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

conebeckham wrote:I just want to say that the translation that is up on Scribd is the work of Sangye Khandro and Lama Chonam, I believe, and it sure would be nice if the translators got some financial remuneration--instead of Scribd--for their work. I've uploaded a few things there, for free distribution, but I have a day job and my translations are worthless anyway...whereas these folks who live the Dharma full time sure could use Dana.
just for information:
i have a text with a little more prayers, etc. but with the same main-sadhana-translation and it reads at the end of the whole booklet: "translated by tulku sherdor at blazing wisdom institute"
but maybe only the last prayer (marme monlam) :shrug:
Lost In Transmission
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I found this explanation by the Khenpo brothers interesting and decided to post it here for discussion:
THE SYMBOLIC SUBSTANTIAL PHURBA
The second phurba is the tsenma dze kyi phurba, the “symbolic substantial
phurba.” Tsenma can be translated as “symbol” or “characteristic.” This
means that all phenomena that appear have the characteristics of the
phurba. Whether or not we recognize it, all things—mountains, trees,
water, rivers, oneself—have the nature of the phurba. In essence, everything
is in the pointed shape of the phurba.
For example, the human body is like a phurba. If you put your hands
together and sit with your legs together, the lower part of your body is more
pointed and the upper part is a little wider. Also, each of your fingers has
the shape of the phurba. Other examples are the shapes of birds’ beaks and
claws. All beings, including animals, are within the phurba state.
The external world also has the nature of the phurba. When you look at
trees, their overall shape points upward, and each leaf is pointed. In terms
of the five elements, when water freezes into icicles in winter, it shows its
pointed formation. Fire points upward as it burns. Although you cannot
see wind, it feels sharp when it blows toward you. In the Abhidharma
teachings, the shapes of the elements are discussed, and the wind is said to
have the shape of a half-moon or a bow, which has points at each end. As
for space, some Buddhist teachings say that space has the shape of a thousand
spokes; but generally, space is divided by objects. When one looks at
mountains, for example, the space around them looks pointed.
Phenomena naturally manifest in this way. Therefore, the Kilaya Tantra
states that the entire universe is the symbolic substantial phurba.
Of course, there are also man-made phurbas, which did not develop
naturally, but have been made to show the naturally existing phurbas more

clearly. The created phurbas have a similar structure or shape, but they have
different qualities, styles, and designs.
Some created phurbas have the head of Vajrakilaya, with either one face
or three faces, at the top. The three faces on the top part of the phurba outwardly
symbolize the three kayas. Inwardly, Vajrakilaya’s three faces represent
the three channels of the body. In terms of the practice or application,
the three faces represent the ground, the path, and the result.
At the very top of the phurba is a half-vajra, which symbolizes the
changeless nature of awareness wisdom. All aspects symbolized by the
three faces are inseparable from the indestructible nature of awareness. The
top of the phurba symbolizes the state of enlightenment.
Below the faces is a decahedron, a sphere with ten flat sides. It is like an
octagon, but there are top and bottom sides as well. The ten sides symbolize
the ten wrathful deities of Vajrakilaya; they are mentioned in the larger
Vajrakilaya sadhanas. The decahedron as a whole represents the entire universe
or the pure land where the buddhas reside. In the center of the decahedron
is Vajrakilaya with his consort. Surrounding them are the five sons
or princes of Vajrakilaya, the ten wrathful deities, the twenty-one mamos,
and the sixteen dharmapalas. All of them reside within the decahedron,
which is like a vast palace.
Some phurbas do not have the half-vajra and face, but simply have a
small top, and then the decahedron. On both styles below the decahedron
is a handle, decorated with lotus petals. The lotus is the symbol of love and
compassion, actively manifesting as the buddhas and bodhisattvas. Below
the handle is another decahedron, which symbolizes Vajrakilaya’s retinue,
as well as the dharmapalas. Below that, some phurbas have a crocodile
mouth, but all phurbas end with three blades that meet in a point.
Generally, the phurba symbolizes that samsara and nirvana are united
in one single nature. The top part of the phurba, from the half-vajra
through the lower decahedron, represents nirvana or the pure land or
wisdom. The part below the handle, beginning with the crocodile mouth,
represents samsara. On the ultimate level, samsara and nirvana are not different.
When one understands the nature of samsara, that understanding

Return to “Nyingma”