Protection chords

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Protection chords

Post by Grigoris »

There's definitely a joke I could come back with there. But this will get out of hand. And the thread will be further derailed and I'll get banned.
I'm sure you're thinking what I'm thinking! :twisted:
Last edited by Grigoris on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Caz

Post by Caz »

gregkavarnos wrote:I'm sure you're thinking what I'm thinking! :twisted:
KFC ? :thumbsup:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Silent Bob wrote:Protection cords are a cute fashion accessory. Like knowing the secret Masonic hand signals, they're a good way to spot Buddhists of the opposite sex in a bar or other social setting.
My understanding, in Trungpa Rinpoche's words, is that "the blessing doesn't last very long".

Chris
Assuming, of course, an interest in the opposite sex.
There are other possibilities. ;)
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

ngodrup wrote:
Silent Bob wrote:Protection cords are a cute fashion accessory. Like knowing the secret Masonic hand signals, they're a good way to spot Buddhists of the opposite sex in a bar or other social setting.
My understanding, in Trungpa Rinpoche's words, is that "the blessing doesn't last very long".

Chris
Sorry, I forgot. Really.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

i once watched one of my gurus make a protection cord:
there is a prayer, and then the cord is blown on.

if you regard your guru or whoever is giving the protection cord as a nirmanakaya emanation, then the cord transfers some of that energy to you.
that is, the energy of the three kayas.
also, blowing on the knot is what gives the cord the blessing and allows the stream of blessings to come through.
if you are supposed to leave it on for three days, my guess is that it might be one day per kaya.
these are just guesses though, this practice has never been explained to me.
udawa

Post by udawa »

Chris
Many years ago I was told that there is a traditional Tibetan saying, along the lines that these cords are 'a source of blessing for a few days, then a home for lice...'
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

ngodrup wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Chris
There is Drukpa Kunley and what he did to a charm...

Return to “Nyingma”